Japan and South Korea Going At It

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Annie, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Japan does seem to be a bit quick on territory lately. At the same time, US/Japan relations have seldom been better.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050318/ap_on_re_as/disputed_islands_3

2. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    When I traveled in South Korea and talked to residents, it was apparent that Koreans have a deep historical hatred of the Japanese that is partly based on the anti-Korean atrocities committed by Japan during the 1930s and 40s. A similar antipathy toward Japan exists in China. It will be many generations before the animosity subsides.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Should it subside?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Found this to be true on Okinawa when I was there too!

5. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Korea feels hate against Japan, like said Onedomino.
    Korea was devasted during the years before WWII, and during it too.

It is lke China : Chian is not crazey about Japan.
    They have two things in mind : the exploitation of the country by the Europeans : British, French, Germans.....
    And the second thing is the war crimes committed by Japan : Bombardment on Shangai and Nankin, the first huge bombardments on civilians, before Guernica.

So, there is tensions in this area.

I hope that the past would not rule the relations of these countries.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Hell these countries have been stomping all over each other for thousands of years. Why stop now??

7. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I lived in Korea for three years, my wife is Korean and I travel there often on business. My wife just returned from spending a month there two days ago.

Anyways, Koreans have a love hate relationship with Japan. When the ownership of Korean businesses, etc. was closed to foreigners (it didn't open up until the Asian economic crisis and IMF of 1998/99) Japan was the only country generally given an exception. The founders of both Hyundai and Samsung had their primary homes in Japan. Almost all of the Chaebols were started by Korean during the Japanese occupation from 1910 to 1945 so ties to Japan have always been important even in modern times. There are over 1 million Koreans living in Japan and the family ties between the two countries are actually pretty strong. I say they are like cousins. Okay to have around, but there is always one you just can't stand.

Up until a few years ago, Japanese music, movies, etc. were banned in Korea. But nowadays Japanese culture is very popular among the younger Koreans. My nephew is 18 and he loves Japanese music, etc. and has lots of Japanese friends. My niece, his sister, is 22 and hates anything Japanese (except of course, like almost all Koreans, Sushi, Sake, etc.) It's funny. Koreans claim (and in many instances it is true) that many of the best Japanese arts, etc. are copies of original Korean arts, etc. Like their pottery. Actually, I'chon in South Korea is where most of the original "Japanese" artisans were taken from to go and make pottery in Japan. There are so many customs that are similar yet unique in Asia between the two countries that I truly believe they cannot deny being related in some ancestoral manner.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Okinawa was occcupied by Koreans, Japanese and Chinese. They are so interacially mixed now that all of the above countries see Okinawans as half breed lowlifes