Janitor destroyed million dollar research project...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
An outside contracted cleaning service employee shut down -80 C freezer containing 20 year research cultures due to "annoying alarms".

The university believed they had their bases covered, locking out the on/off switch AND electrical outlet plug. They also hung a sign explaining the alarm was a known issue, how to temporarily silence it, and that no cleaning was necessary in that area.

The janitor proceeded to switch off the breaker to silence the alarm, reporting his actions to no one.

By the time the deactivated freezer unit was discovered, the temperature has reached -32 C and the research cultures were ruined.

I can't even imagine...

An outside contracted cleaning service employee shut down -80 C freezer containing 20 year research cultures due to "annoying alarms".

The university believed they had their bases covered, locking out the on/off switch AND electrical outlet plug. They also hung a sign explaining the alarm was a known issue, how to temporarily silence it, and that no cleaning was necessary in that area.

The janitor proceeded to switch off the breaker to silence the alarm, reporting his actions to no one.

By the time the deactivated freezer unit was discovered, the temperature has reached -32 C and the research cultures were ruined.

I can't even imagine...

Was it one of the employees that no other US citizen would do the job?

R.9d789b5f969eed9ed262d84295cef59f

I really blame the institution.
  1. Their -125° freezer was malfunctioning.
  2. They left people in the area anyway.
  3. They left the freezer in an alarm mode.
  4. They had no one on staff able to repair the freezer.
  5. They left a stupid sign on the thing telling people that if the alarm bothered them, they could silence it, then left the power off button available to shut it off anyway.
  6. They failed to provide ample warning and training to all people who would have access to the area.

Forum List

Back