"Jakarta at 30 million: my city is choking and sinking.

Birth control? How about education? How about programs to encourage folks to move back out to rural areas - like incentives to take up farming and animal husbandry.

Birth control? How about education? How about programs to encourage folks to move back out to rural areas - like incentives to take up farming and animal husbandry.
Ahhh.. now you are getting at the heart of the matter. Population control. How about forced abortions too?

You need to address your comment to Ms Esthermoon. She's the one who mentioned birth control. I was questioning the suggestion.

You need to address your comment to Ms Esthermoon. She's the one who mentioned birth control. I was questioning the suggestion.
Riiiiight, because you would never propose it to solve a problem we don't have, right?

Try to keep in contact with reality. I was suggesting education as an alternative to forced birth control.

"Jakarta at 30 million: my city is choking and sinking.
Flooding, similarly, has become more frequent: from roughly every five years, to every rainy season, and now to almost every time it rains for more than three hours.

What is not visible is even worse: the city is sinking. Land subsidence is happening at a rate of 3cm per year in some parts of the city, 20cm in others. Not only is this causing more flooding, but it has the potential to damage the city’s drainage, piping and sewerage systems. The sea level in Jakarta Bay is rising 6mm every year.

Because only 50% of households have piped water – the lowest in Indonesia – residents rely on raw water supply, draining the natural aquifer beneath the city and causing the entire urban area to sink. Ironically, run-off is increasing, as deforestation upstream from the city and concretisation within are causing water to be wasted in alarming amounts."

Jakarta and other megacities in Indonesia facing inundation in coming years.

Jakarta at 30 million: my city is choking and sinking – it needs a new Plan B
It looks that Jakarta is fucked.

Correlation.jpg

Per-Capita-World-Carbon-Emissions.jpg

Population-By-Region.jpg

Forum List

Back