"Jakarta at 30 million: my city is choking and sinking.

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Flooding, similarly, has become more frequent: from roughly every five years, to every rainy season, and now to almost every time it rains for more than three hours.

What is not visible is even worse: the city is sinking. Land subsidence is happening at a rate of 3cm per year in some parts of the city, 20cm in others. Not only is this causing more flooding, but it has the potential to damage the city’s drainage, piping and sewerage systems. The sea level in Jakarta Bay is rising 6mm every year.

Because only 50% of households have piped water – the lowest in Indonesia – residents rely on raw water supply, draining the natural aquifer beneath the city and causing the entire urban area to sink. Ironically, run-off is increasing, as deforestation upstream from the city and concretisation within are causing water to be wasted in alarming amounts."

Jakarta and other megacities in Indonesia facing inundation in coming years.

Jakarta at 30 million: my city is choking and sinking – it needs a new Plan B
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/nov/21/jakarta-indonesia-30-million-sinking-future
It looks that Jakarta is fucked.

Flooding, similarly, has become more frequent: from roughly every five years, to every rainy season, and now to almost every time it rains for more than three hours.

What is not visible is even worse: the city is sinking. Land subsidence is happening at a rate of 3cm per year in some parts of the city, 20cm in others. Not only is this causing more flooding, but it has the potential to damage the city’s drainage, piping and sewerage systems. The sea level in Jakarta Bay is rising 6mm every year.

Because only 50% of households have piped water – the lowest in Indonesia – residents rely on raw water supply, draining the natural aquifer beneath the city and causing the entire urban area to sink. Ironically, run-off is increasing, as deforestation upstream from the city and concretisation within are causing water to be wasted in alarming amounts."

Have you ever been to Jakarta? I have. They were fucked long before this.

So the flooding doesn't matter? Is that what you want us to think you're saying? Why can't you just come out and say it?

Long time ago the Dutch had a similar problem. sounds like maybe they should utilize that big population to build sea walls and traps for the rain water.

A city of 30 million sinking becoming uninhabitable doesn't justify indignation? Sounds like Old Rocks was right on the button.

A city of 30 million sinking becoming uninhabitable doesn't justify indignation? Sounds like Old Rocks was right on the button.
Only because you are full of righteous indignation and are ignorant of science. Without knowing anything other that they experiencing subsidence, I would say it has more to do with ground water withdrawal. Stop shitting your pants over red herrings.

Land subsidence, USGS Water Science School

Why would the subsidence being caused by ground water withdrawal mean indignation was unjustified?

What sort of engineer are you by the way?

Why would the subsidence being caused by ground water withdrawal mean indignation was unjustified?

What sort of engineer are you by the way?
Because it has nothing to do with CO2.

The kind that is your worst nightmare.

This is the environment forum, not the CO2 forum.

Worst nightmare? Fecal repurposing? Educational infrastructure deconstructionist?

I've seen some folks here too full of themselves, but you're making a healthy shot to take the cake.

This is the environment forum, not the CO2 forum.

Worst nightmare? Fecal repurposing? Educational infrastructure deconstructionist?

I've seen some folks here too full of themselves, but you're making a healthy shot to take the cake.
Bless your heart. Maybe you should go to Jakarta and tell them how they are doing everything all wrong.

Forum List

Back