Jack-O-Lanterns

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
How far in advance of Halloween do you regular carvers carve your pumpkin? I haven't done a real one with a pumpkin in awhile and seem to recall that they are way too wet if you do it the day of. I am not sure what the good window would be to keep them moist enough not to start losing their shape but dry enough to where you don't have pumpkin slime and trouble keeping the candle lit.

How far in advance of Halloween do you regular carvers carve your pumpkin? I haven't done a real one with a pumpkin in awhile and seem to recall that they are way too wet if you do it the day of. I am not sure what the good window would be to keep them moist enough not to start losing their shape but dry enough to where you don't have pumpkin slime and trouble keeping the candle lit.
We never had trouble with it being "way too wet." Way too wet for what? Use a battery operated votive or two. But if you have a large enough pumpkin to use a real candle, you WANT it to be "wet."

Usually the day before because it is warm here and they die quickly.

We never had trouble with it being "way too wet." Way too wet for what? Use a battery operated votive or two. But if you have a large enough pumpkin to use a real candle, you WANT it to be "wet."
I think he's carving an orange.

I remember one year my son went to visit his Dad and Grampa a couple weeks before Halloween and they carved a pumpkin. We put it on the back porch, and the day of Halloween we went to pick it up and the whole thing had rotted. He cried and cried. I felt SO bad for him. We went out and eventually found a deformed pumpkin to carve in its place (all the good ones had been taken), but it obviously wasn't the same.
So DO NOT carve it earlier than the day before!

We stopped carving pumpkins when the boy turned thirteen and stopped carving pumpkins.

If I were to do one now, I would do it just a few days before Halloween because one year it was done too early and by Halloween day, the pumpkin was soft and mushy looking from how old it was by then.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

So wet the top drips down on the candles and puts them out.

So wet the top drips down on the candles and puts them out.
Dekster, you got some really juicy pumpkins out your way. I have never seen anything like that. The battery operated votives would definitely be the way for you to go.

5 Fun Facts About Pumpkins

36144440_303.jpg

Everybody knows they originated in the Americas. Right? And they are actually a member of the squash family.

1.Pumpkin: What's in a name?

The first settlers in the American colonies called the squash pumpkin and thus coined the name that we still use today!

2. Record breakers

40867445_401.jpg

The heaviest pumpkin ever recorded weighed 2,625 pounds

3. A Halloween tradition

4. The weird world of pumpkins

45368110_401.jpg

More than 45 different species

5. Healthy culinary delights

Explanation of all this and a lot more pix @ Pumpkins: 5 fun facts about a fall staple | DW | 26.10.2018

Forum List

Back