J D Salinger passes

Raise High the Roofbeam was bearable. He was a schlock writer, IMO. I know women who liked it and men who hated it.
Meh. I may have liked it when I read it because I was an angst-hemorrhaging teenager at the time. I don't plan on reading it again, but maybe I'd agree with you if I did.
It could be. Don't re-read it and hold on to your good memories. :eusa_angel:

Very good advice.

Immie

Although Catcher in the Rye deals primarily with teenage angst and Holden's character is now more annoying as years go by, I still feel the novel has a huge impact.

I'll always consider CitR to be a personal favorite of sorts, considering the time I was able to connect it with it years ago. Though now, I take different lessons from it. Being able to mature by coming to terms with the establishment for example. The novel was a reflection upon J.D. as a person and may he RIP.

Edit: Interesting article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010...the-rye-helped-create-young-adult-literature/

Last edited:
He was an odd guy, that's for sure. Everyone knows he shunned publicity.

He shunned Hollywood money after their butchering of Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut. (Holden''s brother, DB, in Catcher was described as a Hollywood prostitute, an allusion to screenwriters.)

He also seemed to have a hard time forgiving perceived slights. He loathed John Updike, who wrote rather rudely about his obsession with the Glass Family at one time.

After a couple of local teens wrote an article he consented to in their school newspaper, he found something in it he didn't like and stopped allowing the neighbor kids to come around.

He sued his biographer, Ian Hamilton, to stop the publication of certain pieces of information.

That biographer, in In Search of J.D. Salinger (1988), wrote that Salinger had two completed, unpublished manuscripts in his possession. It will be interesting to see what the estate does, or is allowed to do, with those works.

I enjoyed Catcher, more so on re-reading as an adult. I prefer his short stories, "Esme" best among them.

Last edited:
Catcher in the Rye is probably my favorite book, along with Franny and Zooey.
I hope they will release some of his unpublished stuff.

His estate will either burn the manuscripts or release them.

Here's what Hamilton wrote about them: "I am assured by one who knows (but prefers not to be named) that he has at least two full-length manuscripts locked in his safe."

Seems odd he would keep them if he wanted them destroyed upon his death. I wouldn't trust my family to keep secrets they could cash-in on.

And the wierd part is I changed my sig line just a few days ago.

I use to love Catcher in the Rye alot more. I like the lessons it gives, but at the same time I can't stand Holden as a character. Which is funny because we all go through that moment in our lives where if we look back, we couldn't stand our younger selves. :lol:

And the wierd part is I changed my sig line just a few days ago.

I use to love Catcher in the Rye alot more. I like the lessons it gives, but at the same time I can't stand Holden as a character. Which is funny because we all go through that moment in our lives where if we look back, we couldn't stand our younger selves. :lol:

No one really liked it in my English class when we read except a few others an I. I will add most of class was made up of jocks and cheerleaders.

No one really liked it in my English class when we read except a few others an I. I will add most of class was made up of jocks and cheerleaders.

I loved it, read it back in 10th grade. Can't believe it's been three years already. Though it was funny since the majority of people who liked it in our class were in fact guys. :lol:

Funny. I thought about that when I heard the news today.

That's probably why he died. Way to go.

:eusa_shhh:

I actually just got three of my Salinger books back from my friend, and I re read Catcher In the Rye and Franny and Zooey.

I hate lending books - I rarely get them back. Do you have a favorite?

I like Catcher in the Rye probably the most, maybe because I read it first. I also really like Franny and Zooey.

The mystery grows: What's in Salinger's safe? - Yahoo! News

Stories about a possible Salinger trove have been around for a long time. In 1999, New Hampshire neighbor Jerry Burt said the author had told him years earlier that he had written at least 15 unpublished books kept locked in a safe at his home. A year earlier, author and former Salinger girlfriend Joyce Maynard had written that Salinger used to write daily and had at least two novels stored away.

I could see J.D stop publishing due to being a recluse but I couldn't see J.D not writing for over forty years. Only question is how many books are left unpublished.

Margaret Salinger, the author's daughter, wrote in a memoir published in 2000 that J.D. Salinger had a precise filing system for his papers: A red mark meant the book could be released "as is," should the author die. A blue mark meant that the manuscript had to be edited.

"There is a marvelous peace in not publishing," J.D. Salinger told The New York Times in 1974. "Publishing is a terrible invasion of my privacy. I like to write. I love to write. But I write just for myself and my own pleasure."

I don't really care one way or another. Not a fan but his books don't suck.... but.... I find myself genuinely irritated by the term 'passes', he died. Can we not just say 'died'. It's not like typing the word will kill ya.

Forum List

Back