I've been thinking. Uh oh. Opinions wanted.

Have you considered a live-aboard boat? Find a marina which allows you to live on a boat. A Marina with showers for boat owners only, garbage pick up and a small grocery. A vessel which is a home and never or rarely used to move about will require less to up keep, particularly if you find a Marina in fresh water. The SF Bay Delta has many place which might fit your needs an the cost to buy a used vessel is much less than you might think. The rent to tie up will be affordable.

I don't think I would be a very good tenant on a boat. Even if it is in a smooth calm bay.

I am 60. I will turn 62 in october of 2014. I am guaranteed to live in this rental home until then. When I turn 62 and get my SSI, the landlord wants his house back. So...instead of renting another house and renting out rooms and being "stuck" with roomie after roomie, I have been pondering an idea and I do not know if it is a possibility of a good idea or if it is more than I can handle since I am inexperienced in this. Which is where you guys come in. Advice.

My plan? Hubby and I purchase an RV. Not too big because we want to be able to haul the truck with it on a car rack so once we park it somewhere, we are free to take the Ranger to get groceries, go to doctors, etc. No roomies. We stay at RV over night or monthly parks for a few months or however long we like it there, then move on. We hook up to tv, wifi, sewer, water, etc. We also have a generator for emergencies. We also must learn how to empty the black water tank and the gray water tanks periodically. We can travel to warmer climes when it is winter and hunker down somewhere until summer then go wherever we want to go as long as we stick to being in California..which is a big state. This way I can keep my medi-cal for medical needs. We sell all we own and buy two laptops...one for him, one for me. We also have smaller tvs..one for him, one for me. I do not sleep in a bed..I sleep in a recliner due to my back. So hubby would have the bedroom and I would either have the couch or the passenger seat that reclines which would suit me fine. The only thing we would be paying is gas to move the RV when it is time to move on and the space rent weekly or monthly. The RV would have air conditioning on the roof for hotter weather. We would have a shower, toilet, propane stove and maybe a hibachi for warm nights for barbeque. Doctors would be whomever was in the town we are currently in and we would have all our current records of meds we are on, our ailments so these new strange doctors can see what is going on with us health wise. No paying a deposit for gas, electric, cable companies (we would have a satelite dish on the RV hopefully), water, etc. In parks that do not have full hookups, we would have the generator.

The only thing that makes me nervous is...finding dumping stations to empty the sewage and refill the gray water tanks....finding a place that allows dogs...and keeping the RV in excellent motor condition (and the roof solid from leaks). I would have to find such places in this state and if we traveled out of the state for a month or two, we have to find out how long we can be out of the state before I lose my benefits...and lastly, a bank that is common everywhere where we can have our SSI deposited and be able to withdraw funds.

Is this a difficult thing to do for newbies who have never done this before and will it save us money that we are forking out now? It sounds good in my head, but in reality....is it a pipe dream? Or is it a feasible option for us since we cannot afford to pay 1500 bucks per month rent in a house where we have to haul furniture around, rent rooms to strangers and in general are stuck in one spot?

And if you were in my shoes...not owning a house and just renting someone elses...would YOU go this route?
Badger is among those working towards options such as this. One major problem is transfer of public health insurance between states. The future will see the Rent Pimp becoming obsolete as home ownership is a profoundly American idea, probably even before the Mayflower’s communism arrived.

Have you considered a live-aboard boat? Find a marina which allows you to live on a boat. A Marina with showers for boat owners only, garbage pick up and a small grocery. A vessel which is a home and never or rarely used to move about will require less to up keep, particularly if you find a Marina in fresh water. The SF Bay Delta has many place which might fit your needs an the cost to buy a used vessel is much less than you might think. The rent to tie up will be affordable.
Yers, another reason why de Santis Florida is looking like an option to polar Wisconsin.

I am 60. I will turn 62 in october of 2014. I am guaranteed to live in this rental home until then. When I turn 62 and get my SSI, the landlord wants his house back. So...instead of renting another house and renting out rooms and being "stuck" with roomie after roomie, I have been pondering an idea and I do not know if it is a possibility of a good idea or if it is more than I can handle since I am inexperienced in this. Which is where you guys come in. Advice.

My plan? Hubby and I purchase an RV. Not too big because we want to be able to haul the truck with it on a car rack so once we park it somewhere, we are free to take the Ranger to get groceries, go to doctors, etc. No roomies. We stay at RV over night or monthly parks for a few months or however long we like it there, then move on. We hook up to tv, wifi, sewer, water, etc. We also have a generator for emergencies. We also must learn how to empty the black water tank and the gray water tanks periodically. We can travel to warmer climes when it is winter and hunker down somewhere until summer then go wherever we want to go as long as we stick to being in California..which is a big state. This way I can keep my medi-cal for medical needs. We sell all we own and buy two laptops...one for him, one for me. We also have smaller tvs..one for him, one for me. I do not sleep in a bed..I sleep in a recliner due to my back. So hubby would have the bedroom and I would either have the couch or the passenger seat that reclines which would suit me fine. The only thing we would be paying is gas to move the RV when it is time to move on and the space rent weekly or monthly. The RV would have air conditioning on the roof for hotter weather. We would have a shower, toilet, propane stove and maybe a hibachi for warm nights for barbeque. Doctors would be whomever was in the town we are currently in and we would have all our current records of meds we are on, our ailments so these new strange doctors can see what is going on with us health wise. No paying a deposit for gas, electric, cable companies (we would have a satelite dish on the RV hopefully), water, etc. In parks that do not have full hookups, we would have the generator.

The only thing that makes me nervous is...finding dumping stations to empty the sewage and refill the gray water tanks....finding a place that allows dogs...and keeping the RV in excellent motor condition (and the roof solid from leaks). I would have to find such places in this state and if we traveled out of the state for a month or two, we have to find out how long we can be out of the state before I lose my benefits...and lastly, a bank that is common everywhere where we can have our SSI deposited and be able to withdraw funds.

Is this a difficult thing to do for newbies who have never done this before and will it save us money that we are forking out now? It sounds good in my head, but in reality....is it a pipe dream? Or is it a feasible option for us since we cannot afford to pay 1500 bucks per month rent in a house where we have to haul furniture around, rent rooms to strangers and in general are stuck in one spot?

And if you were in my shoes...not owning a house and just renting someone elses...would YOU go this route?
Don't worry so much. Lots people do it. You can rent an RV spot for a month $900 yo 1200 with hookups and dumps. Many RV go 2 weeks before needing to dump and refill. Places are dog friendly just don't let them run loose.

Construction Roadies do it all the time. Travel and work 7/12s. Stay in campgrounds, have pets, Cook out and drink beers at the campgrounds. It's very possible. Most camp sites have dump stations, and all the hook ups. State Campgrounds and Federal ones tend to be cheaper, but limit how long to stay there.

It's not a bad way to go. Travel and all.

This is an OLD thread. 8 years old. Why it was bumped, I have no clue.

Ouch. Well how did it turn out. lol
Not the way I planned, that's for sure.
Homeless, then living in a rv for 4 months next door to where we lived, then off to Paradise and we all know how THAT turned out, then here.

MrG is now in a wheelchair and has an oxygen tank. Here is where we will both die eventually.

He's still in the rehab place, healing after his lung biopsy. He will come home this coming tuesday. Got his walker in the mail today, and monday the wheechair will arrive along with the oxygen tank(s).

Meanwhile, I am sick with sinusitus and trying to stay healthy enough to deal with his return home.

Homeless, then living in a rv for 4 months next door to where we lived, then off to Paradise and we all know how THAT turned out, then here.

MrG is now in a wheelchair and has an oxygen tank. Here is where we will both die eventually.
I'm sorry Gracie. Best Wishes from LA. Lower Alabama.

He's still in the rehab place, healing after his lung biopsy. He will come home this coming tuesday. Got his walker in the mail today, and monday the wheechair will arrive along with the oxygen tank(s).

Meanwhile, I am sick with sinusitus and trying to stay healthy enough to deal with his return home.
Hope you feel better soon Gracie

Sorry to hear that. We are living your dream. We sold everything and moved into a diesel motorhome nearly four years ago. We traveled all over the country driving about 30,000 miles. I hope to continue living this way for as long as I can.

Forum List

Back