I've been binge watching Combat!, a TV show from 1963.

Grumpyolman

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
San Diego
It's a fictional drama dealing with American WWII infantry troops in Europe. Some of those old shows I used watch as a kid come off as stupid now. Not Combat! 👍
I've gone through the first season and started the second season. 32 episodes in the first season. It's on YouTube.

latest

the sgt, vic morrow, died in the twilight zone.

if you like that one try a movie. the big red 1 with lee marvin. same kind of ensemble cast and squad level action.

The old theme songs were the best.

And who can forget....Peter Gun!

all great ones. add "perry mason" for that sexy/jazzy film noir atmosphere. or maybe the ol' lady is fantasizing abt raymond burr?

Awesome show. That and Wild Wild West was something I always looked forward to.
Wild Wild West was popular. It was cancelled due to the violence supposedly. That show was good. For a TV budget. Every Friday night. The start of a weekend from school.

I always liked Hogan's Heroes.
It used to come on on Saturday night and sometimes I'd be at my Grandmother's place while my parents went to a movie.

My Uncle lived there too and he would start cussing when it came on because he was a POW of the Germans at Bad Orb in WW-2.

The funny part was that he would sit there the whole show talking about how they were really treated.....I did not mind, I learned a lot.

It used to come on on Saturday night and sometimes I'd be at my Grandmother's place while my parents went to a movie.

My Uncle lived there too and he would start cussing when it came on because he was a POW of the Germans at Bad Orb in WW-2.

The funny part was that he would sit there the whole show talking about how they were really treated.....I did not mind, I learned a lot.
maybe closer to "the great escape" but much dirtier, hungrier, and less fun? i have no desire to find out.

maybe closer to "the great escape" but much dirtier, hungrier, and less fun? i have no desire to find out.
He went into Bad Orb a robust 180 and came out six months later at 86# with lots of complications from malnutrition, some he never got over like his head being pulled to one side.

They simply did not feed them much other than thin turnip soup and a crust of bread.

He went into Bad Orb a robust 180 and came out six months later at 86# with lots of complications from malnutrition, some he never got over like his head being pulled to one side.

They simply did not feed them much other than thin turnip soup and a crust of bread.
still, compared to baatan or andersonville or the hanoi hilton.....

i would not want to be locked in any of them.

The Germans treated American POWs with varying degrees of respect depending on military rank. That's why all B-17/B-24 air crew were Sergeants or above. I've talked to officers that said the Germans treated them with respect.
We did have a lot of their people here.

Forum List

Back