It's Official

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
We are no longer a "Nation of Laws" We get to arbitrarily pick and choose which laws we will or will not follow.. Good luck to you my Fellow Americans. Good luck to youl.

The Obama administration announced Wednesday that it will no longer defend the federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The decision marks a significant about-face for the Obama Justice Department, which until now had defended the law in court despite President Obama's misgivings with the policy. The administration's attorneys as recently as last month had filed a court motion in support of the Defense of Marriage Act, which effectively bans recognition of same-sex marriage.

While I think the law is ignorant.

You don't get to pick the laws that you do and don't like.

Imagine trying to use this as a defense against a speeding ticket.

how friggin depressing.

Typical dimwits, thinking they can pick and choose which laws can be enforced. Obama and his admin. has been a complete and utter failure.

funny didnt bush do the same thing.
and if you bothered to read the article youd realize that The Defense of Marriage Act remains in effect unless a federal court strikes it down or Congress repeals it. all that has happened is if/when a court strikes it down the government wont appeal it..

we cherry pick laws all the time dipshits.
Example would be actresses who get 2nd,3rd chances and even more before anything of weight is tossed at them.

We decide to not charge people all the time. We ignore things in order to fight other more important laws being broken. The law is still the same, its just that Obama wont be putting any energy into fighting it.

But you dumbfucks already know this.

And that makes it right? You are comparing some screwed up suppose to be entertainer with the Administration of the President, and you believe this to be a fair comparison?

It's wrong. And hopefully we will correct it in 2012.

I'm having a good day. plasmaball agrees we are not a nation of law. fuck laws. got it.

Not defending a law in Court is the same as saying that you are ignoring the Law? What the fuck planet do you whine babies live on.

and if you bothered to read the article youd realize that The Defense of Marriage Act remains in effect unless a federal court strikes it down or Congress repeals it. all that has happened is if/when a court strikes it down the government wont appeal it..

What law did he chose not to enforce?

And please provide a link.

We are no longer a "Nation of Laws" We get to arbitrarily pick and choose which laws we will or will not follow.. Good luck to you my Fellow Americans. Good luck to youl.

The Obama administration announced Wednesday that it will no longer defend the federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The decision marks a significant about-face for the Obama Justice Department, which until now had defended the law in court despite President Obama's misgivings with the policy. The administration's attorneys as recently as last month had filed a court motion in support of the Defense of Marriage Act, which effectively bans recognition of same-sex marriage.

you really have to stop using so much drugs

your short AND long term memory capabilities are shot!

I remember, back in the mid 1990's, conservatives declaring
"I would NEVER follow a law I did NOT believe in!"

Example would be actresses who get 2nd,3rd chances and even more before anything of weight is tossed at them.

We decide to not charge people all the time. We ignore things in order to fight other more important laws being broken. The law is still the same, its just that Obama wont be putting any energy into fighting it.

And that makes it right? You are comparing some screwed up suppose to be entertainer with the Administration of the President, and you believe this to be a fair comparison?

laws should be based on logic and reason

NOT religious mumbo jumbo

there is no reasonable or logical reason to have laws against gay marriage

you really have to stop using so much drugs

your short AND long term memory capabilities are shot!

I remember, back in the mid 1990's, conservatives declaring
"I would NEVER follow a law I did NOT believe in!"

So we are in agreement. We are NOT a Nation of Laws! Thanks.

While I don't like the way he went about it, in fact I think it's Pussy beyond anything we have seen in the last 7 trillion years... I agree that it's unconstitutional to discriminate against gays. The constitution does not recognize and discriminate sexuality.

Get rid of the law, don’t use the fact that it’s still in place as something to run off in 2012 and beyond, that’s what is pathetic about it really.

This is a moment where many conservatives fail to follow the constitution because of their religious belifes... It's sad, but Dems do it as well, to a large degree about this very same subject.

Last edited:
While I don't like the way he went about it, in fact I think it's Pussy beyond anything we have seen in the last 7 trillion years... I agree that it's unconstitutional to discriminate against gays. The constitution does not recognize and discriminate sexuality.

Get rid of the law, don’t use the fact that it’s still in place as something to run off in 2012 and beyond, that’s what is pathetic about it really.

Correct. Disagree with a law? Change it.

laws should be based on logic and reason

NOT religious mumbo jumbo

there is no reasonable or logical reason to have laws against gay marriage

then change the law.....until then its a still a Law.....anyway this is what i usually get hit with when i talk about Legalizing Pot....so i guess it works here too...

>
United States Constitution, Article VI
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land...

28 USC § 519
Except as otherwise authorized by law, the Attorney General shall supervise all litigation to which the United States, an agency, or officer thereof is a party, and shall direct all United States attorneys, assistant United States attorneys, and special attorneys appointed under section 543 of this title in the discharge of their respective duties.​

The United States Code is federal law and as such falls under the supremacy clause of the Constitution. The duty of the Attorney General (or his subordinates) is to represent the United States in suits pertaining to United States law.

While I think that the federal government should recognize all legal civil marriages entered into under State law, choosing not to defend an active section of the United States Code is not an option. I don't claim that federal attorney's have to believe the law is valid - they are free to have personal opinions about it. However if it's a valid law their duty is to defend it until such time as the law is struck as unconstitutional or Congress changes the United States Code.

>>>>

What law did he chose not to enforce?

And please provide a link.
the Immigration Laws.....and i dont think a Link is required for that one....BUT all the other Presidents are guilty of this too....

Forum List

Back