usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
The notion that it's someone else's fault because "you" didn't pay attention is absurd! When the world in which one lives changes, it's one's own obligation to pay attention and adapt so as to avail oneself of the opportunities wrought by the change(s).
Anyone who's had a cat or dog as a pet has surely observed that their pet takes notice of the smallest changes to their environment. Move a piece of furniture or an appliance; introduce a new object large or small. One's pet will notice it and examine it closely. Now if a cat or dog has the good sense to take close notice of what's going on around it, there's no excuse for the pet's owner, having vastly more cognitive analytical abilities (or even having only as much cognitive ability as a cat or dog), to not do the same as goes the world in which s/he dwells.

The notion that it's someone else's fault because "you" didn't pay attention is absurd! When the world in which one lives changes, it's one's own obligation to pay attention and adapt so as to avail oneself of the opportunities wrought by the change(s).
Anyone who's had a cat or dog as a pet has surely observed that their pet takes notice of the smallest changes to their environment. Move a piece of furniture or an appliance; introduce a new object large or small. One's pet will notice it and examine it closely. Now if a cat or dog has the good sense to take close notice of what's going on around it, there's no excuse for the pet's owner, having vastly more cognitive analytical abilities (or even having only as much cognitive ability as a cat or dog), to not do the same as goes the world in which s/he dwells.

I don't disagree. What was the inspiration for this? People complaining they can't find a job because they have no electronics skills?

I don't disagree. What was the inspiration for this? People complaining they can't find a job because they have no electronics skills?
What was the inspiration for this?
The first round of Zuckerberg's testimony was the inspiration for the thread.

I have a lot of sympathy for Zuckerberg. He invented social medium. How could he possibly know what it would become, a way to start wars all over the world???

How could he possibly know in advance that the only way to make money enough to grow the business would be an invasion of privacy so amazing as to be world-historical?

It was just a way to vet frosh women's photos! No one on Earth could have figured out what it would become, starting war after war, allowing for interference with elections, all the rest.

So I don't agree. A lot of these people, the Internet pioneers, were making it up on the fly. It's not perfect, but most of that ---------------- it's not their fault that it's not perfect. It wasn't them making war in Egypt, Ukraine, all the rest. It's not them doing all the criminal acts, the stalking, the Twitter mobs. Okay, they did agree to the invasion of privacy thing. The rest, not their fault.

I have a border collie cattle dog mix, and Roxy will notice something out of place immediately, especially if I place a toy, usual a Frisbee, not where it belongs. She will notice it is missing, and go on the hunt, find it and bring it back to where it belongs. If I put it on a chair or a table, knowing these are off limits to her, she will bark at it until one of us takes it and gives it to her.

I have a lot of sympathy for Zuckerberg. He invented social medium. How could he possibly know what it would become, a way to start wars all over the world???

How could he possibly know in advance that the only way to make money enough to grow the business would be an invasion of privacy so amazing as to be world-historical?

It was just a way to vet frosh women's photos! No one on Earth could have figured out what it would become, starting war after war, allowing for interference with elections, all the rest.

So I don't agree. A lot of these people, the Internet pioneers, were making it up on the fly. It's not perfect, but most of that ---------------- it's not their fault that it's not perfect. It wasn't them making war in Egypt, Ukraine, all the rest. It's not them doing all the criminal acts, the stalking, the Twitter mobs. Okay, they did agree to the invasion of privacy thing. The rest, not their fault.

Zuckberg knew exactly what he as doing when he developed the algorithms that helped him provide data on personal preferences and internet habits to identify hobbies and interests or products we might like to buy. He sold his ads to clients based specifically on the ability to direct ads to those most likely to purchase their products.

When I moved from the big city to a tiny town, shopping was very limited so I started ordering stuff online. What I noticed immediately was that ads for the websites where I bought stuff, popped up on my Facebook page every time I opened may newsfeed. It also happened on this board too. If I looked at something for a long time, or several times without buying it, it was the first thing I saw.

When I bought a new living room rug from an online site, ads for that rug popped up so frequently on this board and on Facebook that I posted “How many of these rugs does Facebook think I’m going to buy?”

I’m willing to believe that Zuckerberg never anticipated that his data mining algorithms would be used for election interference but when that information first started circulating, Zuckerberg’s response seems to be to make all the money he possible could. They knew Russians were buying political ads. They were paying for them in ruples.

So no, I don’t have any sympathy at all for Zuckerberg.

It is nobodies fault that you didnt see or hear that train coming, it isnt like we should put guard rails over road/rail intersections or warning lights and bells or sumpin.

Ya know?

roflmao

Zuckberg knew exactly what he as doing when he developed the algorithms that helped him provide data on personal preferences and internet habits to identify hobbies and interests or products we might like to buy. He sold his ads to clients based specifically on the ability to direct ads to those most likely to purchase their products.

When I moved from the big city to a tiny town, shopping was very limited so I started ordering stuff online. What I noticed immediately was that ads for the websites where I bought stuff, popped up on my Facebook page every time I opened may newsfeed. It also happened on this board too. If I looked at something for a long time, or several times without buying it, it was the first thing I saw.

When I bought a new living room rug from an online site, ads for that rug popped up so frequently on this board and on Facebook that I posted “How many of these rugs does Facebook think I’m going to buy?”

I’m willing to believe that Zuckerberg never anticipated that his data mining algorithms would be used for election interference but when that information first started circulating, Zuckerberg’s response seems to be to make all the money he possible could. They knew Russians were buying political ads. They were paying for them in ruples.

A clear and concise warning to those who use the Internet for any purpose. Nearly all searches require we submit some of our privacy to unknown persons motivated by profit and not consquences to the people or our nation.

Thus, the deregulation policy / goal of laissiez faire in all matters has down sides, something Pols in all parties need to recognize and think about in terms of cost-benefits and cost-deficits to all of our freedoms.

There are "less bad" ways to search and use the webs. Duck Duck Go for a search engine and Mozilla for a browser.

Still if you really want to integrate your fridge, your supermarket and your credit card, someone holds that information. Then six months down the road if they want to be as cheap as the i-Fridge which automatically reorders your milk they have to start gathering and selling your information like i-Fridge does.

Very Ayn Rand of you. Hardly surprising that people make bad choices the real question is what does society do when they do? We can say it is their fault, and it is, and just let them and their family pay the consequences. Society can wrap them in bubble wrap and prevent them from making 'bad' choices. I think somewhere between these two extremes is a middle ground I can live with. I would let adults make bad choices, within reason, and pay the consequences but the kids I'd bubble wrap, they didn't make a bad choice and shouldn't be punished.

There are "less bad" ways to search and use the webs. Duck Duck Go for a search engine and Mozilla for a browser.

Still if you really want to integrate your fridge, your supermarket and your credit card, someone holds that information. Then six months down the road if they want to be as cheap as the i-Fridge which automatically reorders your milk they have to start gathering and selling your information like i-Fridge does.

Yep, tech gives, and tech can take away. The user must understand that our private information can be put together using different sources and make the puzzle out of these pieces to manipulate the user.

Last edited:

Nor do I have sympathy for the people that signed up for Facebook, this site or Amazon or anyother activity that requires one to go online.

Right from the start we knew or should have known they were using our internet habits to target us in advertising and if Facebook could do it, you would have to know that other companies were mining for info, like Cambridge Analytica. Also Facebook and Zuckerberg knew it was going on.

It is our fault, no one else’s.

It was obvious to anyone who thought about it what the possibilities and hazards of "social media" are and could be. Again, and as in so many cases, the problem is the common lack of sufficient skills in evaluation. Even more fundamental is the resistance to thinking at all. At least in America, thinking is associated with intellectual pursuits, and anything 'intellectual' is anathema.
It is nothing new in the world that societies tend to engender dependence rather than independence. What works for those in power is a population that allows others to think for them.

There is a reason Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, Google, etc... are all free and at the same time, they have campuses that rival anything the Ivy League has....they sell your information.

To those who are shocked, shocked to see information is being sold (it helps if you say it in a Claude Rains voice), let me ask you this....your information was supposedly given to this company in what, 2012 to Obama and again to Trump in 2016 or whatever. And when it was divulged on a Tuesday, people were outraged on Wednesday. You lived for either years or a year (depending on who you believe) just fine with them having the data. Now you're outraged????

A clear and concise warning to those who use the Internet for any purpose. Nearly all searches require we submit some of our privacy to unknown persons motivated by profit and not consquences to the people or our nation.

Thus, the deregulation policy / goal of laissiez faire in all matters has down sides, something Pols in all parties need to recognize and think about in terms of cost-benefits and cost-deficits to all of our freedoms.
Government’s role is to ensure freedom of access, not freedom of content – as no such ‘freedom’ exists concerning private internet platforms and providers.

The Constitution’s role is to ensure government doesn’t dictate that content.

And the private citizen’s role is to understand that he has no expectation of privacy concerning personal information voluntarily provided to an internet entity – neither with regard to private internet platforms and providers nor government.

There is a reason Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, Google, etc... are all free and at the same time, they have campuses that rival anything the Ivy League has....they sell your information.

To those who are shocked, shocked to see information is being sold (it helps if you say it in a Claude Rains voice), let me ask you this....your information was supposedly given to this company in what, 2012 to Obama and again to Trump in 2016 or whatever. And when it was divulged on a Tuesday, people were outraged on Wednesday. You lived for either years or a year (depending on who you believe) just fine with them having the data. Now you're outraged????

Exactly! It’s because it was used for something we didn’t like, so now we are all upset. If you use a club card for Kroger or Costco and on and on, they have information that is used to market to you and your demographic.

What was extremely incredible was that people took to Facebook, to air their complaints about...FACEBOOK mining their infrastructure ration. So now Facebook knows who complained and who commented or liked the post. They just mined more information. These people fed the very monsters that outraged them.

Those who point fingers at FB and other such enterprises miss the point. That being, the data and personal data collected and collated can be seen by foreign sources to manipulate the voters by advertisements, which tell the viewer what they want to hear.

It seems the evidence thus far released, that Russia has engaged in cyber warfare in this manner, and that the ads placed on Face Book, for one example, are geared to reinforce the American voters dissatisfaction with our form of government, and the governments of Western European Nations.

For better or for worse, the freedom we have to express our opinions on this message board aids and abets Russia. For there is no way to determine if the opinions expressed by agent provocateurs, living near the Volga River, may include a number of regular contributors to this site and many other message boards.

We can be soldiers in the defense of our nation, and that requires each of us to support and defend what the first great generation of American's fought for and died for in the Revolutionary War, to wit: A Democratic Republic of the people, by the people and for the people.

Last edited:

Exactly! It’s because it was used for something we didn’t like, so now we are all upset. If you use a club card for Kroger or Costco and on and on, they have information that is used to market to you and your demographic.

What was extremely incredible was that people took to Facebook, to air their complaints about...FACEBOOK mining their infrastructure ration. So now Facebook knows who complained and who commented or liked the post. They just mined more information. These people fed the very monsters that outraged them.

Yep. I spent the entire NFL season making fun of people on Twitter calling for a ban on NFL sponsors/partners (like Twitter).

I didn’t state it very well but my point was that if the revelation happened on Tuesday, and you were happy on Monday, what changed on Wednesday to make you “outraged”????

Forum List

Back