It's called "The Roads Safe Act"

It's not going to stop anyone from driving drunk you fucking moron. It's too fucking easy to fool. All this fantasy of making you safe will do is cost us all more money for nothing but a false sense of security.

Grow up and step into reality.

I doubt you're correct that it won't stop anyone.

I mean, the law in place itself has stopped me. I've considered, while buzzy, the convenience of just hopping in and heading home.....but the consequences deterred me.

Fuck, if there was a breathalizer, I wouldn't have considered it to begin with.

You think people drive drunk so regularly that they're going to all go and buy air machines? That's absurd.

from the link in the OP

A new law under consideration would call for installation of a device that would allow six violations before stalling the car

If the law passes, it's not going to be optional, moron.

You're an idiot. I wasn't referring to the device, moron, I was referring to one of your proposed bypasses.....you know, compressed air or whatever the fuck you said people would use.

I like your bar idea too. Paying someone sober to blow air as opposed to, you know, paying for a ride/cab. Makes worlds of sense.

:doubt: Apparently you have no faith in either technology or the free market.

I'm an engineer, and I know things break. What happens the first time someone gets mugged because thier interlock wouldnt let them start thier car?

Same thing that happens if their starter is busted, or their clutch is burnt out.

The difference is that those are items required for the car to work mechanically. What is being proposed is an ACTIVE INTERLOCK that stalls the car if a certain condition isnt met.

The only other thing that does that is some anti-theft packages, and those are voluntary. This concept is to legally force anyone who wants to drive to basically put a dead-mans switch in thier car. A government mandated dead mans switch.

I doubt you're correct that it won't stop anyone.

I mean, the law in place itself has stopped me. I've considered, while buzzy, the convenience of just hopping in and heading home.....but the consequences deterred me.

Fuck, if there was a breathalizer, I wouldn't have considered it to begin with.

You think people drive drunk so regularly that they're going to all go and buy air machines? That's absurd.

from the link in the OP

A new law under consideration would call for installation of a device that would allow six violations before stalling the car

You're an idiot. I wasn't referring to the device, moron, I was referring to one of your proposed bypasses.....you know, compressed air or whatever the fuck you said people would use.

A small can of compressed air costs nothing and is not hard to get. I have a little car jumper device that has an air compressor built in so I can inflate a tire anywhere. It would be nothing to adapt a fitting to the hose so as to fool the oh so smart government machine in a car. Paying a sober person 20 bucks is just as easy.

Government intrusion and control does not make you safe. You and only you can do that so buck up and take care of yourself.

I'm an engineer, and I know things break. What happens the first time someone gets mugged because thier interlock wouldnt let them start thier car?

Same thing that happens if their starter is busted, or their clutch is burnt out.

The difference is that those are items required for the car to work mechanically. What is being proposed is an ACTIVE INTERLOCK that stalls the car if a certain condition isnt met.

The only other thing that does that is some anti-theft packages, and those are voluntary. This concept is to legally force anyone who wants to drive to basically put a dead-mans switch in thier car. A government mandated dead mans switch.

I have no problem with existing laws being enforced. Mechanical breakdowns are mechanical breakdowns, those will happen regardless if said faulty machinery was voluntary or involuntary.

I like your bar idea too. Paying someone sober to blow air as opposed to, you know, paying for a ride/cab. Makes worlds of sense.

You do realize that a lot of towns do not have cab companies to call don't you? And don't forget you have to get a ride back to your car the next day so really paying a sober kid to blow for you would be the easier solution.

Last edited:
from the link in the OP

A small can of compressed air costs nothing and is not hard to get. I have a little car jumper device that has an air compressor built in so I can inflate a tire anywhere. It would be nothing to adapt a fitting to the hose so as to fool the oh so smart government machine in a car. Paying a sober person 20 bucks is just as easy.

Government intrusion and control does not make you safe. You and only you can do that so buck up and take care of yourself.

I take plenty care of myself. This has nothing to do with how I take care of myself.

Also, you're either dense, or you know that paying someone $20 won't work. Doesn't it say it monitors you while you're driving? Who the fuck drives (as a sober person) in a car with a drunk? That's ridiculous.

You do realize that a lot of towns do not have cab companies to call don't you? And don't forget you have to get a ride back to your car the next day so really paying a sober kid to blow for you would be the easier solution.

People in those towns would be going out drinking and driving, then, why?

I have no problem with existing laws being enforced. Mechanical breakdowns are mechanical breakdowns, those will happen regardless if said faulty machinery was voluntary or involuntary.

Who is talking about existing law? The point of this thread was a law being proposed to have EVERY car installed with a device that would test you for BAC (or a derivative) and either send a signal to the cops, or stop the car from working.

I take plenty care of myself. This has nothing to do with how I take care of myself.

Also, you're either dense, or you know that paying someone $20 won't work. Doesn't it say it monitors you while you're driving? Who the fuck drives (as a sober person) in a car with a drunk? That's ridiculous.

Who said the sober guy would be riding in the car after he fools the machine?

And how does a machine know if your drunk while you're driving instead of just tired?

Exactly, this is about you being a dick and "taking care" of everyone else.

Maybe this would be good for work also, anyone who works for someone else should have to do this?

I mean this a big thing, we could use it at sporting events, church, or anyplace so we can make sure someone won't be disruptive.

I mean look at the positive side, it would allow someone to make money off of it.

I don't have a problem with this. Drunks do not have a right to endanger others.

I'd also like to see a cell phone jamming device in cars that would make cell phones inoperable when the engine is running.

What a wonderful idea.

First you want to put devices in cars that often produce erroneous results, and require that people driving cars use them continuously in order to drive. (I wonder how distracting it will be to respond to the warning that you have to blow now before the car stops while driving down a crowded freeway.) Then you want to make it impossible for people who are within 100 feet of a car with the engine running to be able to use their cell phone, even if they want to report a drunken driver. Keep making me safe like this and and you will kill off everyone in the country.

People in those towns would be going out drinking and driving, then, why?

Are you really asking that stupid of a question?

A guy having 2 beers and a burger after work would be considered drunk even though he is not impaired at all.

Who said the sober guy would be riding in the car after he fools the machine?
And how does a machine know if your drunk while you're driving instead of just tired?

for the illiterate:

"They make you blow into it while you're driving, therefore somebody doesn't blow into it at the bar for you, and then you leave," said Benedict.

Who is talking about existing law? The point of this thread was a law being proposed to have EVERY car installed with a device that would test you for BAC (or a derivative) and either send a signal to the cops, or stop the car from working.

Which is an enforcement of the law. It's no worse than a Cop watching a damn stop light.

Forum List

Back