It's called "The Roads Safe Act"

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
It's called "The Roads Safe Act" and opponents claim it's designed to put an alcohol detector in every car, just like an airbag or stereo.
Currently ignition interlock systems are only installed by court order.
Mechanics who work with the Smart Start System say you don't have to be over the legal limit to stall out.
"Normally what they should calibrate it at .03. I believe for most people that's the warning level," said Garrett Benedict, a mechanic.

The device allows six violations, then the car won't start at all.
Experts say it is also set up to make sure drivers don't try to cheat.
"They make you blow into it while you're driving, therefore somebody doesn't blow into it at the bar for you, and then you leave," said Benedict.
The American Beverage Institute has gone on record saying alcohol detectors should only be used for drunk drivers, not everyone.

"This is going to eliminate peoples ability to have a glass of wine at dinner, have a beer at a ball game and then drive home. That's our concern, because that' something we think people should be able to do," states Sarah Longwell of the American Beverage Institute.

The proposed bill would make $60 million available over the next five years to develop new devices, such as technology which would measure blood alcohol content by touching the steering wheel, or even an ignition button.

Alcohol Detectors Could Come Standard | NBC Los Angeles

The Police state or Bust!

:clap2: using technology to make the roads safer. I like this idea so long as it's all calibrated right.

I don't have a problem with this. Drunks do not have a right to endanger others.

I'd also like to see a cell phone jamming device in cars that would make cell phones inoperable when the engine is running.

I don't have a problem with this. Drunks do not have a right to endanger others.

I'd also like to see a cell phone jamming device in cars that would make cell phones inoperable when the engine is running.

Why don't we just hire a government worker to drive for everyone? Just think of it complete government control over drivers AND the end to unemployment. Utopia!

Why don't we just hire a government worker to drive for everyone? Just think of it complete government control over drivers AND the end to unemployment. Utopia!
:lol: No, thanks. Keeping me safe from drunks and texters is enough.

Yea, it's not a breach of anyone's privacy to not be allowed to drive fucking drunk. It's already the damn law, this just ensures you follow it. At stake: lives.

Good shit.

When are you people going to learn that the fucking government cannot keep you safe?

The proposed bill would make $60 million available over the next five years to develop new devices, such as technology which would measure blood alcohol content by touching the steering wheel, or even an ignition button.

I've got mixed feelings on the issue. I don't like the idea of requiring these devices, but I am not opposed to the idea of them being standard equipment on cars. Especially, if it saves lives as seat belts do.

But, I am not so certain that I like the idea of the measurement of blood alcohol by touching the steering wheel or ignition button. What I see is something like the blood sugar monitors for diabetics. So, you have to prick you finger on the button in order to start the car? Have they even considered the spread of disease that would cause? So driving will be the new way to spread AIDS? Will people who know they are HIV Positive be charged with attempted murder if they drive a car belonging to someone else and not informing them of their status?

Immie

Last edited:
Yea, it's not a breach of anyone's privacy to not be allowed to drive fucking drunk. It's already the damn law, this just ensures you follow it. At stake: lives.

Good shit.

No there are too many ways to fool the machine. Compressed air, a sober person blowing in the tube for you.

Wait! I see a business opportunity. Sober breath for $20. I'll stand outside a bar and have people pay me to blow into their machines. Easy street here I come.

So you see the only solution is to hire millions of government employees as chauffeurs.

How important will we make everyone feel if they all have their own driver? Ahhhh Utopia!

Got it---as long as Ravi is safe and the methods do not inconvenience her she's OK with it.

Got it---as long as Ravi is safe and the methods do not inconvenience her she's OK with it.
My safety is more important that a drunk's right to drive a car. Oh, wait...drunks don't have a right to drive a car.

Good shit.

No there are too many ways to fool the machine. Compressed air, a sober person blowing in the tube for you.

Wait! I see a business opportunity. Sober breath for $20. I'll stand outside a bar and have people pay me to blow into their machines. Easy street here I come.

So you see the only solution is to hire millions of government employees as chauffeurs.

How important will we make everyone feel if they all have their own driver? Ahhhh Utopia!

There's ways around every law, so what? This makes it harder. Good.

Thats it, a Jobs bill hire federal rapist and murders as chaperons.
perfect .

Good shit.

Great idea. I'd do it as well. However, according to the article, it says that you must blow into the device every so many miles. That would minimize the usefulness of that idea.

Immie

My safety is more important that a drunk's right to drive a car. Oh, wait...drunks don't have a right to drive a car.

The less fortunate class that you always defend will be tickled to death to have to pay more for all the gadgetry on the next vehicle they purchase.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Good shit.

There's ways around every law, so what? This makes it harder. Good.

What's wrong with you people?

If you're so afraid of everything that you want the fucking government holding your hand how do you all even get out of bed in the morning?

Last time i checked about 25000 people a year were killed by drunk drivers so you have a .0083% chance of being killed by a drunk driver.

I don't think that warrants more government intrusion in our lives.

The less fortunate class that you always defend will be tickled to death to have to pay more for all the gadgetry on the next vehicle they purchase.
Boo hoo.

Forum List

Back