It's called "The Roads Safe Act"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr.Fitnah, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    It's called "The Roads Safe Act" and opponents claim it's designed to put an alcohol detector in every car, just like an airbag or stereo.
    Currently ignition interlock systems are only installed by court order.
    Mechanics who work with the Smart Start System say you don't have to be over the legal limit to stall out.
    "Normally what they should calibrate it at .03. I believe for most people that's the warning level," said Garrett Benedict, a mechanic.

The device allows six violations, then the car won't start at all.
    Experts say it is also set up to make sure drivers don't try to cheat.
    "They make you blow into it while you're driving, therefore somebody doesn't blow into it at the bar for you, and then you leave," said Benedict.
    The American Beverage Institute has gone on record saying alcohol detectors should only be used for drunk drivers, not everyone.

"This is going to eliminate peoples ability to have a glass of wine at dinner, have a beer at a ball game and then drive home. That's our concern, because that' something we think people should be able to do," states Sarah Longwell of the American Beverage Institute.

The proposed bill would make $60 million available over the next five years to develop new devices, such as technology which would measure blood alcohol content by touching the steering wheel, or even an ignition button.

Alcohol Detectors Could Come Standard | NBC Los Angeles

The Police state or Bust!

2. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,480
    :clap2: using technology to make the roads safer. I like this idea so long as it's all calibrated right.

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    Sorry but the government will NOT put any monitoring devices of any kind in my car.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    I don't have a problem with this. Drunks do not have a right to endanger others.

I'd also like to see a cell phone jamming device in cars that would make cell phones inoperable when the engine is running.

5. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    Why don't we just hire a government worker to drive for everyone? Just think of it complete government control over drivers AND the end to unemployment. Utopia!

6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,785
    :lol: No, thanks. Keeping me safe from drunks and texters is enough.

7. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,480
    Yea, it's not a breach of anyone's privacy to not be allowed to drive fucking drunk. It's already the damn law, this just ensures you follow it. At stake: lives.

Good shit.

8. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    When are you people going to learn that the fucking government cannot keep you safe?

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I've got mixed feelings on the issue. I don't like the idea of requiring these devices, but I am not opposed to the idea of them being standard equipment on cars. Especially, if it saves lives as seat belts do.

But, I am not so certain that I like the idea of the measurement of blood alcohol by touching the steering wheel or ignition button. What I see is something like the blood sugar monitors for diabetics. So, you have to prick you finger on the button in order to start the car? Have they even considered the spread of disease that would cause? So driving will be the new way to spread AIDS? Will people who know they are HIV Positive be charged with attempted murder if they drive a car belonging to someone else and not informing them of their status?

Immie

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  10. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    No there are too many ways to fool the machine. Compressed air, a sober person blowing in the tube for you.

Wait! I see a business opportunity. Sober breath for $20. I'll stand outside a bar and have people pay me to blow into their machines. Easy street here I come.

So you see the only solution is to hire millions of government employees as chauffeurs.

How important will we make everyone feel if they all have their own driver? Ahhhh Utopia!