It's About the Tragedy- Not More Bush-Bashing

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
The political and ideological exploitation of perhaps the worst natural disaster in all our lifetimes is almost beyond belief-were it not for the fact that nothing these days is beyond beleif.

Even as tears spring into the most hard-hearted person's eyes at both the unimaginable scope of the tragedy and at the wrenching individual stories of loss, opinion leaders just can't help themsleves.

they are using this cataclysm as little more than cheap debate fodder about the nature and character of the United states, its president and its citizens.

Don't misunderstand.

It is fine and proper to have a debate and discussion about the degreee of generosity the United States could, should and must show in the wake of this literally earth shaking event.

But at this moment the United States is not the issue
The foreign- aid budget of the Unted States is not the issue.

Secreatey of State Colin Powell found himself in the position of having to remind the world that in the last four years the Unbted States has provided more aid than all the other nations on the planet combined.

It is appalling that he had to mention this, as President Bush was compelled to cite the same information on wednesday, because you're not to brag about how charitable you are. but as U.N officials decried that American aid plegde as "stingy" the adminsitration had little choice.

www.nypost.com/commentary/37436.htm

so how long is it going to be before Bush is blamed for the tsunami? seems latley everything is his fault anyway.

actually, several callers to talk radio, larry king, etc. have already blamed him. Can you believe, some are actually saying that this was caused by global warmning? Those same folks are going on to say that since they believe that Bush's policies contribute to global warming, he is to blame.

I think this whole thing speaks to the disingenuiness of those on the left using this as an opportunity to further their agenda. To me they are all looking very foolish, yet they keep at it.

I was listening to Hannity on the drive home yesterday. He had a woman leftie on. She was getting on GW's case because the US initially pledged $15 mil. She compared that to the sums other countries were pledging. Hannity countered that at the time that initial pledge was made, there was no information available as to the true scope of the disaster.

She was not impressed by the fact that not only had the aid offer been increased to $350 mil, but that numerous military assets were being employed to render assistance. She kept harping on the fact that the INITIAL offer of aid was "only" $15mil. When Hannity accused her of Bush bashing and attempting to politicize the tragedy, she quickly started denying and polishing her halo.

Somehow the fact that we will end up spending over a billion bucks on relief and assistance for this disaster is irrelevant in lib eyes. The only thing that counts for them is the fact that our INITIAL offer was not high enought to suit them. So if I understand this lib's philosophy, the analogy would be - It doesn't matter that I won the race. What matters is that I got off to a slow start and because of that, I should be criticized and my win should not be counted.

What a bitch.

Merlin1047 said:
I was listening to Hannity on the drive home yesterday. He had a woman leftie on. She was getting on GW's case because the US initially pledged $15 mil. She compared that to the sums other countries were pledging. Hannity countered that at the time that initial pledge was made, there was no information available as to the true scope of the disaster.

She was not impressed by the fact that not only had the aid offer been increased to $350 mil, but that numerous military assets were being employed to render assistance. She kept harping on the fact that the INITIAL offer of aid was "only" $15mil. When Hannity accused her of Bush bashing and attempting to politicize the tragedy, she quickly started denying and polishing her halo.

Somehow the fact that we will end up spending over a billion bucks on relief and assistance for this disaster is irrelevant in lib eyes. The only thing that counts for them is the fact that our INITIAL offer was not high enought to suit them. So if I understand this lib's philosophy, the analogy would be - It doesn't matter that I won the race. What matters is that I got off to a slow start and because of that, I should be criticized and my win should not be counted.

What a bitch.

This comes from Bush listening to the detractors and coming out early with a relief announcement rather than waiting for all the information then announcing relief efforts. He fell for a regular lefty ploy, good thing it doesn't happen all that often with this Administration.

Forum List

Back