It's about damn time.

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
reuters link

By Ghaida Ghantous
RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia warned Muslim militants they would share the fate of their slain leader unless they repented, as al Qaeda vowed renewed "holy war" in the kingdom.

Al Qaeda's leader in Saudi Arabia, Abdulaziz al-Muqrin, was shot dead by Saudi forces Friday along with three other prominent militants hours after they beheaded American hostage Paul Johnson, whose body has still not been found.

"We tell this deviant group and others that if they do not return to the right path, they will meet the same fate or worse," Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler Crown Prince Abdullah said late Saturday.

"Security forces will deal with them, God willing, and with every aggressor inside or abroad," he added.

State television showed the bloodied corpses of the four militants, saying they had been behind a wave of violence against foreigners in the Gulf state, a key U.S. ally and the world's biggest oil exporter.

"The government is strong and will eradicate the enemy and cleanse the country of them," Saudi Interior Minister Prince Nayef said. "God willing, we will be victorious."

"HOLY STRUGGLE"

Al Qaeda confirmed the killings of Muqrin and three others in an Internet statement Saturday but voiced defiance.

"The Mujahideen are continuing the jihad (holy struggle) that they have pledged to God and the killing of their brothers will not weaken their resolve but only increase their determination and commitment," it said.

Al Qaeda, led by the fugitive Osama bin Laden who is blamed for the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, has vowed to expel "infidels" from the birthplace of Islam. Muqrin had warned that 2004 would be "bloody."

Twelve other militants were arrested Friday, including a senior figure suspected of involvement in the 2000 bombing of the U.S. warship Cole off the coast of neighboring Yemen.

I hope this isn't just throwing the US a bone. Time will tell I guess. Maybe if one Arab with some power stands up others may feel they can do the same. Holding my breath.

Originally posted by dilloduck
I hope this isn't just throwing the US a bone. Time will tell I guess. Maybe if one Arab with some power stands up others may feel they can do the same. Holding my breath.

I dont think this is. Al Queda is making the Saudi Royal family very nervous for their power. Im willing to bet that they want to overthrow SA so that they can control the Muslim Holy Sites. If they control the Holy sites they might be able to give their calls to holy war more weight. So the Sauds deffinately have something to worry about. especially with us breathing down their necks.

The SA police are so incompetent that a coincidence like this could be possible, but I doubt it.

Avatar, I wouldn't count on the royal family, unless they themselves start to go after these bastards. For now, catching the bad guys are as good as the chances of the good guys being good.

Forum List

Back