It's a nightmare in Atlanta.

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
140129-snow-miss-4a.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

What a freaking nightmare. They can't have enough salt on hand to melt that ice, they're just going to have to wait for it to warm up. Oh, my god...

gawd people today are wussies

waaaa, the snow and ice

I lived threw the blizzard of 82 in Denver...shut down the whole town...people were stuck in a mall for three days...only vehicles allowed were emergency and a call for anyone with four wheelers or snowmachine, (snowmobiles)...

snip:
A memorable blizzard descended on the city on Christmas Eve, 1982, and dumped almost two feet of snow over the following day, virtually closing the city. People unable to get to holiday celebrations or work found a challenging environment awaited when they ventured out. They were seen breaking trails on city streets on horseback, skis and snowshoes. Drivers of four-wheel-drive vehicles were requested to ferry patients and staff to hospitals in emergency situations.

A list of Colorado's historic blizzards and snowstorms

waaaa, the snow and ice

I lived threw the blizzard of 82 in Denver...shut down the whole town...people were stuck in a mall for three days...only vehicles allowed were emergency and a call for anyone with four wheelers or snowmachine, (snowmobiles)...

snip:
A memorable blizzard descended on the city on Christmas Eve, 1982, and dumped almost two feet of snow over the following day, virtually closing the city. People unable to get to holiday celebrations or work found a challenging environment awaited when they ventured out. They were seen breaking trails on city streets on horseback, skis and snowshoes. Drivers of four-wheel-drive vehicles were requested to ferry patients and staff to hospitals in emergency situations.

To be fair....Colorado expects and prepares for this kind of weather....Georgia does not. I'd hate to think what would happen here if we had even 2 inches of snow.

waaaa, the snow and ice

snip:

We'd get through that mess in a nano second but Georgia just isn't prepared for it.

waaaa, the snow and ice

snip:

To be fair....Colorado expects and prepares for this kind of weather....Georgia does not. I'd hate to think what would happen here if we had even 2 inches of snow.

Exactly. I lived in North Carolina where they had a snowstorm once. People were flying off the road and driving like idiots. It was really amazing.

waaaa, the snow and ice

snip:

Here in Ireland 2 inches of snow would shut the country down, whether it was necessary or not.

I lived in mid-state Michigan for a few years.

Though they are experienced with snow removal and salting roads, etc., it still seems that the first snowfall of the year revealed how easily one forgets proper driving techniques when its slippery. The foremost being that you have to be so easy with the accelerator.

I just saw on CNN that there were 1,600 crashes in greater Atlanta, and now sadly, one death. That rate is not so rare in other places either after the first snowfall of the year.

WTF is going on down there? Didn't the South know this was coming? Seriously if you know you don't have the equipment to deal with snow and Ice, tell everybody to stay home. There were school buses full of kids stuck on the roads overnight with no food, water and toilets. It takes at least three feet of snow here to possibly cause something like that to happen. I don't ever recall anyone getting stuck at school or on a bus because the kids were the first to be sent home or better yet, they didn't go to school in the first place. Unbelieveable.

WTF is going on down there? Didn't the South know this was coming? Seriously if you know you don't have the equipment to deal with snow and Ice, tell everybody to stay home. There were school buses full of kids stuck on the roads overnight with no food, water and toilets. It takes at least three feet of snow here to possibly cause something like that to happen. I don't ever recall anyone getting stuck at school or on a bus because the kids were the first to be sent home or better yet, they didn't go to school in the first place. Unbelieveable.

They're saying too many jacknifed trucks. They don't know where to start to get them all out of the way. Plus they still have icy roads, it's 32 there today.

waaaa, the snow and ice

snip:

Here in Ireland 2 inches of snow would shut the country down, whether it was necessary or not.

Have you ever been to Castlebar, Ireland?

waaaa, the snow and ice

snip:

Fair enough,you don't expect Georgia to have the equipment to deal with this. Why would they,it's warm enough all year down there. However, you'd think they would have had some clue this was coming and told everyone to stay home. You don't need the equipment, you just need common sense and a weatherman. We had three feet of snow last year. The governor shut down the state before the storm to everyone but emergency personale so you didn't have this type of problem.

They're saying too many jacknifed trucks. They don't know where to start to get them all out of the way. Plus they still have icy roads, it's 32 there today.

Its a combination of lack of preparedness and doing the wrong thing during the event.

When they let schools out, government employees out, and told people to head home early all at the same time, a clusterfuck was inevitable.

In conditions like that we'd close down the roads to everyone but emergency personale. Not even the 18 wheelers are allowed on the road. The truck drivers don't like it but we give them plenty of warning ahead of time as to when the highways will be closed. It doesn't make politicians popular but you also don't have the mess. I think in the end everyone realizes it's for the best.

Its a combination of lack of preparedness and doing the wrong thing during the event.

When they let schools out, government employees out, and told people to head home early all at the same time, a clusterfuck was inevitable.

They're very lucky they haven't had this terrible cold that we are having. People would be dying out there on that highway.

We've actually had that problem in the past. Now they do a staggard plan. kids are the first to go, if they have school at all. If they are expecting really bad weather the kids stay home to begin with. Then they begin to release state employees and they ask the various businesses to let out by a certain time. There is still traffic but not a complete shutdown.

We've actually had that problem in the past. Now they do a staggard plan. kids are the first to go, if they have school at all. If they are expecting really bad weather the kids stay home to begin with. Then they begin to release state employees and they ask the various businesses to let out by a certain time. There is still traffic but not a complete shutdown.

What part of the country do you live in, LR?

They're very lucky they haven't had this terrible cold that we are having. People would be dying out there on that highway.

You're right,it could have been much worse. The good news is they will probably learn from this and come up with a plan. We had the blizzzard of 78 as our learning expirence. We did have people stuck on the highway and the National Guard had to dig us out. We have since learned our lesson and take an abundance of precautions to prevent it from happening again. It worked last year when we got three feet of snow and things went fairly smoothly.

Forum List

Back