It Really Was About Oil!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by wonderwench, Jan 28, 2004.

1. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it does appear that France's opposition to the War was due to Saddam bribing high-ranking French officials with oil.

Quel surpris!

Documents from Saddam Hussein's oil ministry reveal he used oil to bribe top French officials into opposing the imminent U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The oil ministry papers, described by the independent Baghdad newspaper al-Mada, are apparently authentic and will become the basis of an official investigation by the new Iraqi Governing Council, the Independent reported Wednesday.

"I think the list is true," Naseer Chaderji, a governing council member, said. "I will demand an investigation. These people must be prosecuted."

Such evidence would undermine the French position before the war when President Jacques Chirac sought to couch his opposition to the invasion on a moral high ground.

A senior Bush administration official said Washington was aware of the reports but refused further comment.

French diplomats have dismissed any suggestion their foreign policy was influenced by payments from Saddam, but some European diplomats have long suspected France's steadfast opposition to the war was less moral than monetary.

"Oil runs thicker than blood," is how one former ambassador put his suspicions about the French motives for opposing action against Saddam.

Al-Mada's list cites a total of 46 individuals, companies and organizations inside and outside Iraq as receiving Saddam's oil bribes, including officials in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Sudan, China, Austria and France, as well as the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian Communist Party, India's Congress Party and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040128-115648-6755r.htm

2. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    WW, I would not hold my breath for too many replies.....the tin hat people dont have a consparicy theory on this yet. give em half an hour and they will

3. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I bet they are holding an emergency conference call right now to come up with their talking points.

4. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I would guess that this is true, but the report doesn't say how high up the bribes went and how much oil was given, so we can't say for sure how much this would influence him.

You might call this a tinfoil hat conspiracy, but here is a possible explanation that goes along the WMD line. Saddam told his people to bribe France and gave them millions of dollars. His people then made up the documents, showed them to Saddam, and pocketed the money.

5. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you can bet your ass that more than a quart or two of oil was used as a bribe. as for how high it goes my guess would be cabinet level....just wondering PJ...you work for a carnivel???

6. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not coincidentally, Russia, China and France were the top three weapons suppliers to Saddam - and sit on the UNSC. Not surprising they voted to oppose enforcing Resolution 1441.

7. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :eek: what were THEY thinking about?????

8. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I said long, long, ago on this very board that Saddam had deals going on with Chirac and France and that was why they so vehemently opposed the war. This comes as absolutely no surprise to me at all.

On a side note, check out the latest poll at fuckfrance.com! LOL

What is the number one Frog story for 2003?

1- 15,000 toasted Frogs in August while Chiraq extends his summer vacation in Canada.

2- American Lance Armstrong becoming the greatest cyclist in the history of the Tour de Frog.

3- Zero GDP growth, 10% unemployment, and rising inflation combined in an economic nightmare.

4- Utter annihilation of the loser Frog rugby team at the hands of the glorious English team.

5- Complete capitulation by Froggy in the Executive Life scandal with a staggering $770 million fine.

6- Froggy unilaterally breaking EU rules with a runaway budget deficit and getting away with it.

7- Chief Rabbi in Froggystan declaring that it is no longer safe to be a Jew there.

8- Collapse of the EU Constitution due to Froggy's stubborn refusal to compromise.

9- Brutal murder of actress Marie Trintignant by degenerate subhuman Frog musician.

10- Froggystan losing face in Iraq and Libya, along with their best friend Saddam Hussein.

And the winner is:

15,000 toasted Frogs in August while Chiraq extends his summer vacation in Canada.

9. jon_forward

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    may be we are being to rough on them frenches.....NOT!!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

10. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Here is my own tin foil hat theroy, and anyone who care to enlighten me can feel free. Ok, here goes..... I always wondered how many Euro dollars (namely money from oil revenue, which the UN kept a watchful eye on) is sitting in European banks, and which banks? Could this have any revelance to any opposition coming from Europe, and what happens to the money? Also, will Iraqi oil be sold once again in USA dollars? Is any of the above important, or should I just shift my hat a little.