CDZ It had to happen sooner or later...I have no idea why it took this long....

At least Bill Clinton could actually play the saxophone.

Yo, or sit back and watch Monica?

"GTP"
4ac5ed5252f8711836915110ea4a3aeb.jpg

Does it bother you that the presidential hopefuls are making appearances on talk shows and SNL? Does it seem too undignified? Or what?

Does it bother you that the presidential hopefuls are making appearances on talk shows and SNL? Does it seem too undignified? Or what?

Yes and no.

Yes
  • It bothers me when they do so as a vehicle for creating for themselves a persona that isn't all that genuine. For example, showing up on SNL as a means of making themselves seem like the greater share of the citizenry is, for me, disingenuous. The fact is they are not like most Americans in terms of accomplishment (personal, professional, and intellectual) or in terms understanding first hand the nature of the world in which we live, or in terms of financial means. Those traits alone, to say nothing others, are meaningful because they place each of them in a class apart from the average American whom they aim to govern.
    • They are rarely middle class.
    • They are rarely mediocre performers at whatever they've sought to do in the course of their lives.
    • They are rarely poorly informed on much of anything that matters in the political arena.
    • Few if any of them have never spent a lot of time outside the U.S., or at least traveled abroad even if not having spent a lot of time there.
I have no desire or need to "relate" to the President as a person. I have a great need to relate to their ideas' merit, to relate to the rationality of them, and the sagacity which which a President pursues effecting them. I truly don't care if I find a President likeable as an individual, although it's hard to come by any politician that isn't personally likeable. Every one of them, at federal and local levels, whom I've met -- from when I was a child at a UNICEF event with Gerald and Betty Ford to recent years attending fundraisers for various local and federal officials or chatting with them on airplanes, at school events, or other private social events -- is outstandingly good at being personable and quite pleasant in the company of strangers. That they can do so on a talk show or SNL should surprise nobody; it's a strength all of them have and we all know that from square one.

Taking myself, on the other hand, I'm aware that I'm a brutally direct and honest person at times. I have no intention of changing that about myself; however, it does mean that some folks don't like my personality. Few folks (and that's just reflecting the benefit of the doubt) whom I've met, however, don't respect me. I'm okay with that. I don't seek to be liked; I aim to be respected and trusted. Plenty of folks think that of me and like me. All the same, knowing that about myself is why I've never pursued elected office. I just won't pander to folks for the sake of gaining their support. Politicians can withhold outward signs of the disdain they have for various individuals or groups; I cannot. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

At any rate, whether I will take issue with a pol's appearance anywhere in a public venue depends on whether their being their serves mainly to entertain or not. I'm not looking to be entertained by politicians and Presidential hopefuls. Most talk shows, and certainly SNL, to say nothing of Donald Trump's rallies, is largely entertainment, but there are some exceptions.​
No
  • In and of itself, appearing on a talk show or SNL, or similar program, doesn't bother me.

We all know they live on "the other side of the tracks" from regular folks, but my Dad always reminded me when I was nervous about meeting someone that we all put our pants on the same way. I'm sure you're right that politicians are good at putting on their 'face' for their public, but I'm pretty sure most of us know that, too.
I think most people have always thought of our President and our leaders as "celebrities." Look at all the books that have been written, news stories that have been printed, that delve into our leaders' private lives. A glimpse behind the curtain has always fascinated most people. Television and online spots just widen the opportunities a little more.
I'm with you in not being interested in their private lives--I'm not interested in the private lives of other celebrities like actors or sports stars, either. It doesn't bother me or surprise me, though, that pols are taking advantage of every possible vehicle to please their public. They are still knowledgeable and there are plenty of other venues to check for their policies.

First and foremost, politicians are humans, I see nothing wrong with them letting us see the human side of them, and plus a sad truth is more Americans watch SNL type shows than watch news shows, so for many potential voters that is the limit of their exposure to candidates.

First and foremost, politicians are humans, I see nothing wrong with them letting us see the human side of them, and plus a sad truth is more Americans watch SNL type shows than watch news shows, so for many potential voters that is the limit of their exposure to candidates.

Assuming for now that it is so that "more Americans watch SNL type shows than watch news stories," that is all the more reason such individuals should refrain from participating in the political process.

Assuming for now that it is so that "more Americans watch SNL type shows than watch news stories," that is all the more reason such individuals should refrain from participating in the political process.

Agreed, BUT they aren't going to, so you can't blame the politicians for going there.

Most of those individuals won't bother to vote. This election cycle, more people I talk to have been interested and actually learning about the candidates' stances than usual, so we'll see if they bother to go out on election day. We have a very interesting race this year and some very interesting personalities, and I wouldn't be surprised if social media is playing a larger role. The race has really infiltrated Facebook. More participation is good (although I DO wish they'd stop voting for Trump).

Presidential Race Takes Over Pop Culture as Hopefuls Embrace Celebrity Status

I've noticed this for some time now, and I've seen other observers mention or allude to it in various local papers. Finally it's reached the national stage in a medium available for wide and contemplative consumption. (Perhaps it has before and I missed it...I don't know...)
I blame the decline in education in the liberal arts. I don't mean liberal arts as in universities, or degrees. I mean the actual liberal arts. We have been taught for so long and from such an early age what to think, not how to think. So now a majority of our thinking is done by the popular personalities in culture, perceived authority figures, and people deemed experts in issue they say we have no place in. It was only a matter of time.

Presidential Race Takes Over Pop Culture as Hopefuls Embrace Celebrity Status

I've noticed this for some time now, and I've seen other observers mention or allude to it in various local papers. Finally it's reached the national stage in a medium available for wide and contemplative consumption. (Perhaps it has before and I missed it...I don't know...)
I blame the decline in education in the liberal arts. I don't mean liberal arts as in universities, or degrees. I mean the actual liberal arts. We have been taught for so long and from such an early age what to think, not how to think. So now a majority of our thinking is done by the popular personalities in culture, perceived authority figures, and people deemed experts in issue they say we have no place in. It was only a matter of time.

Red:
Have we? I wasn't taught what to think. "What to think" is not what any of my three kids (aged 18-26) have been taught to do. On the other hand, I have observed repeatedly over the years that more people than fewer have actually mastered "how to think," at least in terms of critical thinking, analytical thinking, skills. More often what I find is that folks perceive criticizing (insulting), something that many people seem to be very good at, and thinking critically to be the same things. They simply are not.

Forum List

Back