Israeli settlements using Palestinian child labour, report says

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Fuck israel
Palestinian children as young as 11 are being employed under dangerous conditions in Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank in breach of international law, a human rights group said on Monday.

Hundreds of child labourers are working in farms and agricultural businesses in thestrategically sensitive Jordan Valley for just £13 a day, according to a new report from Human Rights Watch, which documented cases of young people suffering work-related ill health and injuries.

The 74-page report, Ripe For Abuse: Palestinian Child Labour in Israeli Agricultural Settlements in the West Bank, says economic hardship is forcing some children to drop out of school to work in the farms to support their families.

It records instances of children working outdoors in 100F (38C) temperatures while enduring even hotter conditions inside greenhouses.

“Israel’s settlements are profiting from rights abuses against Palestinian children,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Human Rights Watch's Middle East and North Africa director.

“Children from communities impoverished by Israel’s discrimination and settlement policies are dropping out of school and taking on dangerous work because they feel they have no alternatives, while Israel turns a blind eye.”

Some 38 children and 12 adults working on seven settlement farms were interviewed for the report, which states that children and young people are employed to pick, clean, and pack a range of crops including asparagus, tomatoes, aubergines, sweet peppers, onions, and dates.

Much of the produce is exported to EU countries and the United States, the report said.

Israeli settlements using Palestinian child labour report says - Telegraph

David Elhayani, head of the Jordan Valley regional council, said Hard work makes them too tired to throw stones

Palestinian children as young as 11 are being employed under dangerous conditions in Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank in breach of international law, a human rights group said on Monday.

Hundreds of child labourers are working in farms and agricultural businesses in thestrategically sensitive Jordan Valley for just £13 a day, according to a new report from Human Rights Watch, which documented cases of young people suffering work-related ill health and injuries.

The 74-page report, Ripe For Abuse: Palestinian Child Labour in Israeli Agricultural Settlements in the West Bank, says economic hardship is forcing some children to drop out of school to work in the farms to support their families.

It records instances of children working outdoors in 100F (38C) temperatures while enduring even hotter conditions inside greenhouses.

“Israel’s settlements are profiting from rights abuses against Palestinian children,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Human Rights Watch's Middle East and North Africa director.

“Children from communities impoverished by Israel’s discrimination and settlement policies are dropping out of school and taking on dangerous work because they feel they have no alternatives, while Israel turns a blind eye.”

Some 38 children and 12 adults working on seven settlement farms were interviewed for the report, which states that children and young people are employed to pick, clean, and pack a range of crops including asparagus, tomatoes, aubergines, sweet peppers, onions, and dates.

Much of the produce is exported to EU countries and the United States, the report said.

David Elhayani, head of the Jordan Valley regional council, said Hard work makes them too tired to throw stones

Repeating what has already been posted, shame on you as this is spamming

Yeah, and I was employed to cut grass in 100 degree weather when I was 12. I'm American and proud that I had my own grass cutting business at an age where folks like you were playing video games all day. ROFL

Last edited:

Yeah, and I was employed to cut grass in 100 degree weather when I was 12. I'm American and proud that I has my own grass cutting business at an age where folks like you were playing video games all day. ROFL

Can anyone raised on a farm say they did not help? Picking vegetables or rinsing them for packing is hardly dangerous work. I used to love climbing trees to get to the fruit, now I use a ladder to get to some of the figs and apricots I have growing in my back yard. The others trees I keep short enough to reach. Cactus is the most dangerous to pick and clean. Racking to keep the ground clear of fallen fruit is my least like job.

Child labor in and of itself is not a bad thing. I was either working or competing around the world since I was six.
It does not make sense to hire kids when there are adult that can do the work. Pay scale is set by law over there. It does not make sense to loose their right to export by off the books to cut corners.
The story was refuted almost as soon as it came out.

As for dates.....you find kids climbing date palms almost anywhere else in the middle east. With those elevated basket machines (cherry pickers?) there is no need on modern Israeli farms to shimmy up palm trees like telephone poles.

This is just so much nonsense propaganda, but what else is new?

Human Rights Watch?

If they told me that the sun rose in the east, I would ask for a second opinion.

But, assuming for the sake of argument that there is even some tiny shred of validity to the article...

Did the Israelis 'draft' or 'conscript' that child labor?

Or did their Palestinian parents send them to work in those fields and on those projects?

And why did the Israelis in-charge or those farms and/or projects allow them to work?

Are they really contributing that much to such efforts?

Are those Israeli employers really saving that much money by employing some of those kids?

Or are the Israelis trying to help a variety of worthy Palestinian families to bring in a little more money under these trying circumstances?

Hell, whom amongst us have not held part-time jobs as school-kids?

Hell... amongst our parents and grandparents and great-grandparents... how many of us had (recent) ancestors who were obliged to quit school in order to work, in order to help their impoverished families?

When you spend decades making stupid political and military decisions, and lose every war that you ever started against your more powerful neighbor, your world is eventually going to turn to shit, and your kids will have to quit school, and get jobs - most likely.

Sad, but not entirely unpredictable.

Last edited:
Human Rights Watch?

If they told me that the sun rose in the east, I would ask for a second opinion.

But, assuming for the sake of argument that there is even some tiny shred of validity to the article...

Or did their Palestinian parents send them to work in those fields and on those projects?

And why did the Israelis in-charge or those farms and/or projects allow them to work?

Are those Israeli employers really saving that much money by employing some of those kids?

Or are the Israelis trying to help a variety of worthy Palestinian families to bring in a little more money under these trying circumstances?

Hell... amongst our parents and grandparents and great-grandparents... how many of us had (recent) ancestors who were obliged to quit school in order to work, in order to help their impoverished families?

When you spend decades making stupid political and military decisions, and lose every war that you ever started against your more powerful neighbor, your world is eventually going to turn to shit, and your kids will have to quit school, and get jobs - most likely.

Not that long ago in the UK the schools were shut for half term in October during what was known as potato picking week. People used to gather at designated street corners and get picked up by local farmers to pick potato's. This before the automatic potato pickers of today, so the tractor lifted the plants and the pickers went out and picked the potato's into boxes, baskets and sacks. Many a time children as young as 7 or 8 would be taken as well to do the gleaning of missed potato's . So it is not just happening in Israel it happens all over the world and the OP was just posting his usual anti semitic Jew hating

I blame the parents. Child labour all over the world (if that what this is and not just earing some pocket money), only occurs when parents tolerate it or even encourage it. I would have less kids if I couldn't support them.

From your own link...

UPDATE: A correction has been issued for this article regarding the claim that 160 children have died in Hamas tunnels. The figure is inaccurate. The figure represents the total number of deaths in the tunnels recorded by Hamas authorities as of 2012.
Uh oh, toasty lost a nut on this one!

So that makes it acceptable for hamas to murder 160 Palestinian children. Ever been called two faced and a hypocrite before now

From your own link...

UPDATE: A correction has been issued for this article regarding the claim that 160 children have died in Hamas tunnels. The figure is inaccurate. The figure represents the total number of deaths in the tunnels recorded by Hamas authorities as of 2012.
Uh oh, toasty lost a nut on this one!

There are many articles on the same issue that say the 160 were kids. Either way, I'm certain that many kids were killed, even if it is lower than 160.
They are used because of their small bodies which make it easy for them to move around tight spaces.
Any comment on the subject?

Human Rights Watch?

Not that long ago in the UK the schools were shut for half term in October during what was known as potato picking week. People used to gather at designated street corners and get picked up by local farmers to pick potato's. This before the automatic potato pickers of today, so the tractor lifted the plants and the pickers went out and picked the potato's into boxes, baskets and sacks. Many a time children as young as 7 or 8 would be taken as well to do the gleaning of missed potato's . So it is not just happening in Israel it happens all over the world and the OP was just posting his usual anti semitic Jew hating

according to YOUR warped logic,these people are jew hating anti semitic as well.:lmao::lmao::haha:

Thousands of good Jewish folks protest Netanyahu and the state of Isreal US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Yeah, and I was employed to cut grass in 100 degree weather when I was 12. I'm American and proud that I has my own grass cutting business at an age where folks like you were playing video games all day. ROFL

Can anyone raised on a farm say they did not help? Picking vegetables or rinsing them for packing is hardly dangerous work. I used to love climbing trees to get to the fruit, now I use a ladder to get to some of the figs and apricots I have growing in my back yard. The others trees I keep short enough to reach. Cactus is the most dangerous to pick and clean. Racking to keep the ground clear of fallen fruit is my least like job.

Child labor in and of itself is not a bad thing. I was either working or competing around the world since I was six.
It does not make sense to hire kids when there are adult that can do the work. Pay scale is set by law over there. It does not make sense to loose their right to export by off the books to cut corners.

As for dates.....you find kids climbing date palms almost anywhere else in the middle east. With those elevated basket machines (cherry pickers?) there is no need on modern Israeli farms to shimmy up palm trees like telephone poles.

Not only that, but you will not find the anti-Semites refusing to eat fruit and vegetables picked by some young Mexican kids either here in the U.S. or down in Mexico. If the Palestinian parents allow their children to work for the Jews, then how evil those Jews are. Such hypocrites some of these posters are.

Human Rights Watch?

according to YOUR warped logic,these people are jew hating anti semitic as well.:lmao::lmao::haha:

Thousands of good Jewish folks protest Netanyahu and the state of Isreal US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

And these same handful of Jews are the ones you lot single out for their strange religious beliefs, then they are extremists and deranged.

An article that speaks of "good Jewish folks" implies that that is something special, which must be rejected as anti-semitic.

Not only that, but you will not find the anti-Semites refusing to eat fruit and vegetables picked by some young Mexican kids either here in the U.S. or down in Mexico. If the Palestinian parents allow their children to work for the Jews, then how evil those Jews are. Such hypocrites some of these posters are.

Very true. In fact we are all wearing clothes manufactured by labourers, often children, in poor third world countries. But it only matters if it is Jews. Again, these are not true liberals but anti-semites.

The word has a great deal of meaning. The term semite was coined by Marr and made significant by the nazis. I won't bother reading links which tells me that it has no meaning.

Forum List

Back