Israeli PM has accepted cease-fire deal

Other than some of the US public, nearly 'everyone' listens to the UN. More importantly to US politics, the dems listen very closely. IF your scenario comes to pass, the most likely, the dems will say Bush/Condi/administration were worse that the dems would be, IF they held power.

It's an election year, during war, in one of the worst partisan scenarios since the Civil War.

Thats all they do--listen--they sure as hell don't obey any resolutions. We had an election during a war 2 years ago.

Thats all they do--listen--they sure as hell don't obey any resolutions. We had an election during a war 2 years ago.

That's where we differ, this is going to be an election issue, about the failure to lead. I haven't a clue if the dems will be on the Israeli side, the UN side, Iran's side?

Perhaps most important, it's probably the last foreign action leadership role we'll see from the administration until 2008, barring a serious attack on us or allies. Their wad is now shot.

That's where we differ, this is going to be an election issue, about the failure to lead. I haven't a clue if the dems will be on the Israeli side, the UN side, Iran's side?

Perhaps most important, it's probably the last foreign action leadership role we'll see from the administration until 2008, barring a serious attack on us or allies. Their wad is now shot.

The dems are on thier OWN side, of course! They have always claimed Bush lacks leadership in soem form or another. Why are you writing Bush off like you have Israel ? Hedging your bets?

The dems are on thier OWN side, of course! They have always claimed Bush lacks leadership in soem form or another. Why are you writing Bush off like you have Israel ? Hedging your bets?

I see what I see, when I see it. I haven't flitted between seeing Israel as the savior or demon to all Christiandom as some have. I've seen the war between Israel and Hizbollah as a proxy war between US and Iran. This war is not so much a war as a battle, but we lost this battle. Bush's time is running out, though Iran may give him a second chance. Olmert's time is past
though:

http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2006/08/11/humbled-olmert-accepts-cease-fire/

8/11/2006
HUMBLED OLMERT ACCEPTS CEASE FIRE
CATEGORY: War on Terror, Middle East, UNITED NATIONS

Facing increasing opposition at home as well as harsh criticism from the army, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert will accept a US-French cease fire proposal that includes precious little of what he was demanding just a short week ago.

Until last weekend, Olmert was insisting that any cease fire include a strong international force, independent of UNIFIL with robust rules of engagement, immediate and unconditional return of the captured Israeli soldiers, the disarming of Hizbullah, and no withdrawal of Israeli troops until the international force arrived.

He settled for considerably less:

The draft, obtained by The Associated Press, would ask the UN force to monitor a full cessation of hostilities and help Lebanese forces gain control over an area that has previously been under de facto authority of Hizbullah.
It emphasizes the need for the “unconditional release” of the two IDF soldiers captured July 12, but does not make a direct demand for their freedom.

Additionally, it calls on Israel and Lebanon to agree to a long-term solution under which Hizbullah would be disarmed.
The Security Council was expected to vote on the draft at 1 a.m. (IST).

About 2,000 UN troops and observers are now stationed in Lebanon. The draft would authorize an increase to a total of 15,000 troops.

The text of the draft does not specify which chapter of the UN Charter the force would be authorized under. Instead, it says the force’s mandate would include several elements: monitoring the cessation of hostilities, accompanying Lebanese troops as they deploy and as Israel withdraws, and ensuring humanitarian access
Haaretz is reporting that in fact, the expanded UNIFIL force will operate under Chapter 6 rules which are considerably less forceful than Chapter 7:

Britain’s UN Ambassador Emyr Jones-Parry said the resolution would give the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon an enhanced mandate to help coordinate the eventual withdrawal of Israel Defense Forces troops. But it would ultimately be deployed under Chapter 6 of the UN Charter – which Israel has previously opposed.

Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni spoke Friday morning with U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Livni demanded that the international force be under Chapter 7 and not a modified version of chapter 6 as the French representatives offered.

Israeli officials familiar with the negotiations predicted Friday morning that the U.S. will hold firm in regard to this demand and will not compromise on the resolution. An Israeli official told Haaretz that if the resolution will be watered down to an unacceptable level Israel will not halt any military operation.
So Hassan Nassrallah will emerge from his bunker in triumph, probably to massive demonstrations of support in Beirut and elsewhere in the Arab world. The question of Hizbullah “disarming” and the Shebaa Farms will be held over until later along with prisoner exchange. And Olmert?

The long knives are out already and it is doubtful his government can survive this abject surrender.
Israeli politics is about to become very interesting. Whoever emerges from the coming scrum will have a monumental job to do. He must rebuild the confidence of the people in their army and their leadership. He must clean house in the IDF. And he must prepare for Round Two of the Israeli-Islamist conflict. Because this isn’t a cease fire as much as it is a battlefield pause. Whether they resume fighting in 6 months or a year doesn’t matter. If nothing else, Iran will see to it that there will be another war. They gained so much from this one, the temptation will be great to follow up their triumph whenever they see an opening.

Lebanon will continue to limp along. The March 14th coalition will hopefully continue in power with a little more sober realization of the dangers of having a terrorist organization in their midst. But Nasrallah is untouchable for the foreseeable future. Any attempt to disarm him will either bring down Siniora’s government or start a civil war. And the democrats should expect no help from the UNIFIL force in disarming the terrorists.
That’s not what they’re there for. They are there only until the Lebanese “army” sits down in the south to continue their existence as a barracks army. The real power will still be Nasrallah and his fighters.

The forces of freedom took a huge hit today. But there are defeats in every war and it is up to us to redouble our efforts to confront a now emboldened enemy. I have a terrible feeling that we’ll get a chance to redeem ourselves sooner rather than later.

UPDATE

Allah is on the ball, already rounding up MSM news and react. I expect he’ll have blog reaction as well just as soon as that starts trickling in. Check Hot Air often.
By: Rick Moran at 5:44 pm

I see what I see, when I see it. I haven't flitted between seeing Israel as the savior or demon to all Christiandom as some have. I've seen the war between Israel and Hizbollah as a proxy war between US and Iran. This war is not so much a war as a battle, but we lost this battle. Bush's time is running out, though Iran may give him a second chance. Olmert's time is past
though:

http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2006/08/11/humbled-olmert-accepts-cease-fire/

okie dokie--if you wanna spin it as a lost battle already ---:dunno:

okie dokie--if you wanna spin it as a lost battle already ---:dunno:

I cannot spin a 'cease fire' through the security council, that the US agreed to, that will result in a 'no cease fire' because of Hizbollah as a victory.

Israel will sign off on this on Sunday and afterwards Hizbollah will probably keep attacking and Israel responding. That takes the whole 'sustainable cease fire' to mockery level.

As I said, please enlighten me to the spin you would give.

I cannot spin a 'cease fire' through the security council, that the US agreed to, that will result in a 'no cease fire' because of Hizbollah as a victory.

Israel will sign off on this on Sunday and afterwards Hizbollah will probably keep attacking and Israel responding. That takes the whole 'sustainable cease fire' to mockery level.

As I said, please enlighten me to the spin you would give.

I already did!
What spin? The US didn't fight other than to supply Israel with the means. Israel successfully defended itself against an attack that exposed the level of terrorist activity that remains in Lebanon. If ( which is a huge if) 30,000 international troops move into Southern Lebanon, there is an arms embargo, Isreal gets it's soldiers back, then it's a real victory--not one that you can pin up on your bulletin board.

A security council vote doesn't mean squat. Even IF Lebanon and Israel sign off on it ( which I doubt) the war will not stop. That sets the stage for the next "battle". The aura of invicibilty maybe the only thing Israel has lost. I know the dems wanna make Bush look bad and impeach him but do you seriously think this will make him look bad? Name me ANYONE who has succeeded in bringing peace to the middle east. If the Hizbullys want to think they're big shit because they fought behind civilians and were the sole reason for the damage to Lebanon infastructure--so be it. It's a joke.

I already did!

A security council vote doesn't mean squat. Even IF Lebanon and Israel sign off on it ( which I doubt) the war will not stop. That sets the stage for the next "battle". The aura of invicibilty maybe the only thing Israel has lost. I know the dems wanna make Bush look bad and impeach him but do you seriously think this will make him look bad? Name me ANYONE who has succeeded in bringing peace to the middle east. If the Hizbullys want to think they're big shit because they fought behind civilians and were the sole reason for the damage to Lebanon infastructure--so be it. It's a joke.

There is some reason in the above, somehow I missed that first 'quote' when it appeared. Sorry, really.

I agree with more battles, for the US this isn't the largest by a long shot. My feelings though are that Bush has nothing to lose by hanging tough, but he's acting like he's up for election. He's not. He's at legacy time and he should be whipping the SoS and DoD like no one's business.

Iraq is a mess, and we're hearing little of it. My guess at this point in time, we should pull our troops back; continue helping in training; tell the Shia and Sunnis war or make peace. If the first, we'll help who wins. If the later, we'll help both-but get it done, without us.

There is some reason in the above, somehow I missed that first 'quote' when it appeared. Sorry, really.

I agree with more battles, for the US this isn't the largest by a long shot. My feelings though are that Bush has nothing to lose by hanging tough, but he's acting like he's up for election. He's not. He's at legacy time and he should be whipping the SoS and DoD like no one's business.

Iraq is a mess, and we're hearing little of it. My guess at this point in time, we should pull our troops back; continue helping in training; tell the Shia and Sunnis war or make peace. If the first, we'll help who wins. If the later, we'll help both-but get it done, without us.

Again--I seriously doubt he's going to lay out the ENTIRE mideast strategy for everyone to pick apart. Condi made is VERY clear on Hannity tonight that this was only step 1.

Again--I seriously doubt he's going to lay out the ENTIRE mideast strategy for everyone to pick apart. Condi made is VERY clear on Hannity tonight that this was only step 1.

Sorry, to me, Condi is the problem.

The UN? Someone is listening to the UN? :funnyface

OK..watch. The first rocket into Israel cancels everything.. I give this 24 hours, MAX.

Dillo said something about “behind closed doors”, personally I think there is a great deal of that going on…time will tell..

My “feeling” is this is going ALL the way to Iran. We’ll see.

This is the best post I've read yet in this thread.
The whole UN coming in to keep the peace is a joke.
I'm with you on the first rocket fired into Israel cancels everything.
There is something really screwed up when a group like Hezbollah is seen as legitemate. I guess since the Lebanese goverment is so fragile that makes Hezbollah the power behind the *democratic* goverment that's in place.
Now the world is recognizing this....
Nuts............:eek:

This is the best post I've read yet in this thread.
The whole UN coming in to keep the peace is a joke.
I'm with you on the first rocket fired into Israel cancels everything.
There is something really screwed up when a group like Hezbollah is seen as legitemate. I guess since the Lebanese goverment is so fragile that makes Hezbollah the power behind the *democratic* goverment that's in place.
Now the world is recognizing this....
Nuts............:eek:

you do know the un was in leabanon when they started shooting rockets at israel....

I guess I missed that the UN was already in there.
So what's the point of bringing more of them in?
To do what exactly, watch Hezbollah fire rockets at Israel & do nothing?
Waste of time......

On the day she started on the UN track, a little over a week ago; she went down that, while GW was still staying with Israel. By the end of the day he was 'on track.'

who is her boss? who told her to go on the un track? bush needs to keep up.

Forum List

Back