Israel races to head off UN settlement 'blacklist'

abi

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2017
JERUSALEM (AP) — Weeks ahead of the expected completion of a U.N. database of companies that operate in Israel's West Bank settlements, Israel and the Trump Administration are working feverishly to prevent its publication.

While Israel is usually quick to brush off U.N. criticism, officials say they are taking the so-called "blacklist" seriously, fearing its publication could have devastating consequences by driving companies away, deterring others from coming and prompting investors to dump shares of Israeli firms. Dozens of major Israeli companies, as well as multinationals that do business in Israel, are expected to appear on the list.

"We will do everything we can to ensure that this list does not see the light of day," Israel's U.N. ambassador, Danny Danon, told The Associated Press.

The U.N.'s top human rights body, the Human Rights Council, ordered the compilation of the database in March 2016, calling on U.N. rights chief Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein to "investigate the implications of the Israeli settlements on Palestinians."...

Israel races to head off UN settlement 'blacklist'

It will be interesting to see what lengths the Israelis will go to ensure that this list does not see the light of day. I, for one, hope they fail. The world needs to know.

I'm honestly not sure how people believe that actions such as this serve the Palestinian people? What do they think will happen with sanctions like this? Just what is it that you think Israel will do?

Plus, it is actually the Palestinians who are employed in in companies and factories on the West Bank that will suffer from such a list, since they will be laid off from their jobs. Remember what happened with SodaStream?

Plus, it is actually the Palestinians who are employed in in companies and factories on the West Bank that will suffer from such a list, since they will be laid off from their jobs. Remember what happened with SodaStream?
Indeed. look at all of those unemployed black people after the civil war.

• Banned
I'm honestly not sure how people believe that actions such as this serve the Palestinian people? What do they think will happen with sanctions like this? Just what is it that you think Israel will do?
Wake the world.

Awesome and funny.

Wake the world.

How? By making the Palestinians suffer by removing sources of employment?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I think its a great idea. It will force Israel to annex the territory she intends to keep, moving all economic enterprises under Israeli sovereignty and preventing non-Israelis from accessing those areas and those economic enterprises. It will probably increase Palestinian Arab suffering, but no one seems to be bothered by that but the Israelis.

The last time this happened, if I recall correctly, it put 500 Arab Palestinians out of work and as far as I know the company was not affected at all.

Wake the world.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I think its a great idea. It will force Israel to annex the territory she intends to keep, moving all economic enterprises under Israeli sovereignty and preventing non-Israelis from accessing those areas and those economic enterprises. It will probably increase Palestinian Arab suffering, but no one seems to be bothered by that but the Israelis.

The last time this happened, if I recall correctly, it put 500 Arab Palestinians out of work and as far as I know the company was not affected at all.
It will force Israel to annex the territory she intends to keep,
It is illegal to annex occupied territory.

Wake the world.

Not occupied. Not a problem.

Indeed, leave it Arabs-Moslems to always make the wrong choices.

Indeed, when Arabs-Moslems live on welfare handouts, being gainfully employed is not something that will concern them.

RE: Israel races to head off UN settlement 'blacklist'
※→ Hollie, P F Tinmore, ForeverYoung436, et al,

The Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, like many Arab Palestinian initiatives, will sacrifice their own, and risk any economic benefits the West Bank residence might be receiving, just too spitefully attempt to hurt America and Israel.

Indeed, when Arabs-Moslems live on welfare handouts, being gainfully employed is not something that will concern them.
(COMMENT)

Employment and work ethics are lost after about three - to four generations ( ↑ 20's to ↓ 30's in years).

Most Respectfully,
R

The Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement, like many Arab Palestinian initiatives, will sacrifice their own, and risk any economic benefits the West Bank residence might be receiving, just too spitefully attempt to hurt America and Israel.

(COMMENT)

Employment and work ethics are lost after about three - to four generations ( ↑ 20's to ↓ 30's in years).

Most Respectfully,
R
You people miss the point.

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

Which is what exactly?

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

Which is what exactly?
What is the opposite of independent?

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

Which is what exactly?

Pan Arabism

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

Which is what exactly?

Pan Arabism
Deflection.

※→ P F Tinmore, et al,

The phrase "opposite of independent" is ambiguous. I suppose you are shooting for the opposite end of the spectrum. I would be careful not to apply that across the board.

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

Which is what exactly?

Pan Arabism
Deflection.
(COMMENT)

Independent then "not independent" ⇔ The opposite. (Nullification - "Dependent")
"Not independent" then "contained/constrained" ⇔ Active interference. (Bound or Restricted)
"Subservient/Dominates" ⇔ "Effective Controlled" (Restrained)

Freedom Scale.png
(QUESTION)

What are you getting at? Bottom Line Upfront

There is an entire spectrum of freedoms that apply to the territories; not just one.

Most Respectfully,
R

※→ P F Tinmore, Shusha, abi, et al,

The first issue here is US Voluntary contributions to Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the coming year.

The second issue is about the annexation of selected portions of the territories by Israel.

Wake the world.

(COMMENT)

The US may be the donor nation making the single largest contrivution; but the US does not contribute a critical or significant amount to the OHCHR; in comparison to the 100 or more donors, the US contributes 13% -15% - in any fiscal year. The Commissioner (Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein) will simply thumb the nose of the agency at us.

Top 20 Donors for 2016.png

The US should cut this funding, we should do it very quietly; not as a threat. So, there is great potential out there for the Commission to make up the shortfall. The US should consider (again quietly) the discontinuance of any sort of aid to any country that we currently give aid to that supports this Black List Measure. The OHCHR simply does not need our support; and the OHCHR does not hold to the same views as mainstream America.

On the matter of the annexation of selected portions of the territories by Israel: The State if Israel needs to be careful that they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

• ICRC Expert Meeting: Occupation and other forms of Administration of Foreign Territory

EVALUATING THE END OF OCCUPATION: A THORNY TASK
A majority of experts took the view that it was difficult to oppose a Security Council resolution stating that a particular occupation had ended by virtue of the cumulative application of Articles 25 and 103 of the UN Charter, even if that resolution did not reflect the reality on the ground.​

Now this, such a small excerpt from a very large ICRC Report, is interesting. Because the status and limitations on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict changes. For one thing, annexation becomes less of an issue. Israel could just declare the West Bank and Gaza Strip to be unorganized, unincorporated territories (just like American Samoa, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands).

It would not be in the best interest of Israel to annex the West Bank or Gaza Strip; or even make it a protectorate. It would be a never ending economic burden and would give the current Jihadist, Fedayeen Operators, Hostile Insurgents, Radicalized Islamist, and other Asymmetric fighters a critical advantage.

Just my thoughts and why...

Most Respectfully,
R

※→ P F Tinmore, Shusha, abi, et al,

The first issue here is US Voluntary contributions to Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in the coming year.

The second issue is about the annexation of selected portions of the territories by Israel.

Wake the world.

(COMMENT)

The US may be the donor nation making the single largest contrivution; but the US does not contribute a critical or significant amount to the OHCHR; in comparison to the 100 or more donors, the US contributes 13% -15% - in any fiscal year. The Commissioner (Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein) will simply thumb the nose of the agency at us.

The US should cut this funding, we should do it very quietly; not as a threat. So, there is great potential out there for the Commission to make up the shortfall. The US should consider (again quietly) the discontinuance of any sort of aid to any country that we currently give aid to that supports this Black List Measure. The OHCHR simply does not need our support; and the OHCHR does not hold to the same views as mainstream America.

On the matter of the annexation of selected portions of the territories by Israel: The State if Israel needs to be careful that they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

• ICRC Expert Meeting: Occupation and other forms of Administration of Foreign Territory

EVALUATING THE END OF OCCUPATION: A THORNY TASK
A majority of experts took the view that it was difficult to oppose a Security Council resolution stating that a particular occupation had ended by virtue of the cumulative application of Articles 25 and 103 of the UN Charter, even if that resolution did not reflect the reality on the ground.​

Now this, such a small excerpt from a very large ICRC Report, is interesting. Because the status and limitations on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict changes. For one thing, annexation becomes less of an issue. Israel could just declare the West Bank and Gaza Strip to be unorganized, unincorporated territories (just like American Samoa, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands).

It would not be in the best interest of Israel to annex the West Bank or Gaza Strip; or even make it a protectorate. It would be a never ending economic burden and would give the current Jihadist, Fedayeen Operators, Hostile Insurgents, Radicalized Islamist, and other Asymmetric fighters a critical advantage.

Just my thoughts and why...

Most Respectfully,
R

Good post, Rocco. We agree. Do you think Israel could annex sections of the WB with significant Jewish population such as Ma'ale Adumim, Gush Etzion and Ariel as examples? What do you think the outcome would be of such a political move?

Good post, Rocco. We agree. Do you think Israel could annex sections of the WB with significant Jewish population such as Ma'ale Adumim, Gush Etzion and Ariel as examples? What do you think the outcome would be of such a political move?
What does any of this have to do with Israel meddling again with the UN? If they want to make a database of all the flagrantly illegal enterprises in Palestine, sobeit.

And deal with it. All this crap is just more deflection from zionist liars.

What does any of this have to do with Israel meddling again with the UN? If they want to make a database of all the flagrantly illegal enterprises in Palestine, sobeit.

And deal with it. All this crap is just more deflection from zionist liars.

It has to do with it because if its annexed it won't BE in Palestine anymore.

Forum List

Back