Israel DM: A nuclear Iran unacceptable

Discussion in 'Iran' started by amir, May 30, 2012.

1. amir

amir BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Israel's Barak tells NBC: 'A nuclear Iran is unacceptable'

In this exclusive interview, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak spoke with NBC's Richard Engel about Iran and its apparent effort to become a military power with a nuclear weapon.

By NBC News

A military strike against Iran to prevent the country from becoming a nuclear power is still very much a possibility, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak told NBC News' chief foreign correspondent, Richard Engel, on Wednesday.

"A nuclear Iran is unacceptable," he said a week after world powers met with Iranian representatives in Baghdad

"No option should be removed from the table," Barak told Engel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barak did not specify what would trigger military action.

“We all hope it will be solved through sanctions or diplomacy, we will be happy to wake up one morning and see it is all over. … It probably won’t happen,” Barak said, calling international talks with Iran "a ritual of self-delusion."

2. RoccoR

RoccoR Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,677
    amir, et al,

The military option, no matter what anyone says, is always an option out there; whether it has a reserved space on the table or not.

(COMMENT)

I just hope that Israel, an undeclared nuclear power, doesn't become so afraid of Iran that it inadvertently starts a war that will not only affect the region, but the economics will beyond.

Most Respectfully,
    R

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Everyone, whether you are for or against attacking Iran, should listen to this interview that was recently aired on 60 Minutes.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcfUQemO5WM]IRAN Ex-Mossad Chief: Attacking Iran Now Is The Stupidest Idea, Rational Regime & Diplomacy - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    They are ALREADY nuclear, what exactly is israel/the West waiting for? :mad:

5. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Sunni turd, when this man was ordering the deaths of arabs and iranians, were you extolling his virtues then, too fuckface?

Or is it only when he utters phrases against netanyahu is he worth quoting, you idiot? :cuckoo:

6. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    Israel has no right to dictate to Iran

7. RoccoR

RoccoR Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,677
    rhodescholar, et al,

I must have missed something.

(COMMENT)

Where in the world did you hear that Iran has a nuclear weapon? (I think that is what we are talking about here.)

Most Respectfully,
    R

8. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    If you put the pieces together: many sites are unknown, thousands of spinning centrifuges, no inspections - and like pakistan, india and n korea - who all were far ahead of the clandestine services' perceived capabilities right up until they tested bombs, it is likely that iran has far more enriched uranium than even the large amount that is publicly known. They've already done extensive explosive testing, worked on triggers, shaping the uranium cones to fit on warheads, etc.

Given that as a general rule that a country is usually well ahead of where everyone else thinks they are, and that they have already gone 25 of the 26 miles needed to develop a weapon, have had years of help from n korea and aq khan, it is likely that they have already achieved the skillset/technical know how to accomplish building one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  9. RoccoR

RoccoR Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,677
    rhodescholar, et al,

I understand and sympathize with your analysis; but, respectfully disagree.

This is based on the assumption that all the basic eyes and ears (intelligence systems, networks, and agencies close to the subject) have failed to assess the Iranian threat successfully and accurately.

(COMMENT)

I do concur that Iran has the prerequisite knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to build a complete weapons system, as do many countries; however, there is no indication that they have gone there yet. They are using their KSA's as a set of bargaining chips at the P5+1 meetings to secure their expectations out of the negotiations. And it appears to be working quite well. Iran has sufficiently rattled most of the concerned nations.

But I don't believe that the entire intelligence apparatus of the western world has failed; just yet. In fact, I think that, to some degree, the Iranians are making sure that the clandestine systems are getting just enough information to neutralize the eminent threat scenario, and satisfy the major powers that immediate military action is not warranted (just yet).

There is a tendency to think that the Iranians are crazy, and possibly suicidal. But they are not. Based on their objectives, they may be acting in a very rational fashion. It may be hard to recognize, because they think differently. But I don't believe that the Iranians want a Regional War any more than any of the Persian Gulf neighbors. It is simply too dangerous for everyone and the Iranians know that they cannot achieve anything close to a "win." In fact, the Iranian risk losing everything that the Islamic Republic stands for, if hostilities breakout.

Most Respectfully,
    R

10. rhodescholar

rhodescholar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    Uhhh, and you know this for a fact, how exactly? Are you going to tell us now you are head of the US NSC?

It is for quite obvious reasons why the services' would NOT have made public that a country as despised and feared as iran has attained nuclear weapons, there would be fury and outrage against every Western leader - and even in the arab world - for not stopping the program sooner.

A person with genuine clandestine experience would never phrase it this way; they would state: "given that most sites have not been inspected, we do not have first-hand experience on their weapons, but with their work on nuclear triggers, the massive volume of highly enriched uranium, and the existence of a blast chamber, it would appear they have either completed a weapon, or could do so quickly."