Islamist way or no way

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
One of those "couldn't have said it bette myself articles", sorry if it's a re-post. :eek:

Mark Steyn: Islamist way or no way

October 04, 2005

IT'S not just the environmentalists who think globally and act locally. The jihadi who murdered Newcastle woman Jennifer Williamson, Perth teenager Brendan Fitzgerald and a couple of dozen more Australians, Indonesians, Japanese and others had certain things in common with the July 7 London Tube killers. For example, Azahari bin Husin, who police believe may be the bomb-maker behind this weekend's atrocity, completed a doctorate at England's Reading University. The contribution of the British education system to the jihad is really quite remarkable.

But, on the other hand, despite Clive Williams's game attempt to connect the two on this page yesterday, nobody seriously thinks what happened in Bali has anything to do with Iraq. There are, in the end, no root causes, or anyway not ones that can be negotiated by troop withdrawals or a Palestinian state. There is only a metastasising cancer that preys on whatever local conditions are to hand. Five days before the slaughter in Bali, nine Islamists were arrested in Paris for reportedly plotting to attack the Metro. Must be all those French troops in Iraq, right? So much for the sterling efforts of President Jacques Chirac and his Prime Minister, Dominique de Villepin, as the two chief obstructionists of Bush-Blair-Howard neo-con-Zionist warmongering these past three years.

When the suicide bombers self-detonated on Saturday, the travel section of Britain's The Sunday Telegraph had already gone to press, its lead story a feature on how Bali's economy had bounced back from the carnage of 2002. We all want to believe that: one terrorist attack is like a tsunami or hurricane, just one of those things, blows in out of the blue, then the familiar contours of the landscape return. But two attacks are a permanent feature, the way things are and will be for some years, as one by one the bars and hotels and clubs and restaurants shut up shop. Many of the Australians injured this weekend had waited to return to Bali, just to make sure it was "safe". But it isn't, and it won't be for a long time, and by the time it is it won't be the Bali that Westerners flocked to before 2002.

Continued

Said I think that article states things very well!! And reinforces what many have been saying all along. This isn't just about the US it's a global problem only difference is when and where..

I love when he goes to the truth of the matter, then goes so non-PC as well-just to follow the first point up. :2guns:

Said1 said:
One of those "couldn't have said it better myself articles", sorry if it's a re-post. :eek:

Continued

from Steyn article said:
But, on the other hand, despite Clive Williams's game attempt to connect the two on this page yesterday, nobody seriously thinks what happened in Bali has anything to do with Iraq. There are, in the end, no root causes, or anyway not ones that can be negotiated by troop withdrawals or a Palestinian state. There is only a metastasising cancer that preys on whatever local conditions are to hand. Five days before the slaughter in Bali, nine Islamists were arrested in Paris for reportedly plotting to attack the Metro. Must be all those French troops in Iraq, right? So much for the sterling efforts of President Jacques Chirac and his Prime Minister, Dominique de Villepin, as the two chief obstructionists of Bush-Blair-Howard neo-con-Zionist warmongering these past three years.

When the suicide bombers self-detonated on Saturday, the travel section of Britain's The Sunday Telegraph had already gone to press, its lead story a feature on how Bali's economy had bounced back from the carnage of 2002. We all want to believe that: one terrorist attack is like a tsunami or hurricane, just one of those things, blows in out of the blue, then the familiar contours of the landscape return. But two attacks are a permanent feature, the way things are and will be for some years, as one by one the bars and hotels and clubs and restaurants shut up shop. Many of the Australians injured this weekend had waited to return to Bali, just to make sure it was "safe". But it isn't, and it won't be for a long time, and by the time it is it won't be the Bali that Westerners flocked to before 2002.

I found myself behind a car in Vermont, in the US, the other day; it had a one-word bumper sticker with the injunction "COEXIST". It's one of those sentiments beloved of Western progressives, one designed principally to flatter their sense of moral superiority. The C was the Islamic crescent, the O was the hippie peace sign, the X was the Star of David and the T was the Christian cross. Very nice, hard to argue with. But the reality is, it's the first of those symbols that has a problem with coexistence. Take the crescent out of the equation and you wouldn't need a bumper sticker at all.

and for anyone that want to read Williams' article that if referenced:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16791742%5E7583,00.html

Blair hits the target, along with Hitchens, using the useful idiot Robert Fisk and the :lalala: from some on the left: Lots of links:

http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/weblog/why_ners/

WHY-NERS

Christopher Hitchens—who notes that “East Timor was for many years, and quite rightly, a signature cause of the Noam Chomsky left’”—has some answers for the just ask why crowd:

Do not forget that on Aug. 19, 2003, a explosion leveled the Canal Hotel in Baghdad, which then served as the Iraq headquarters of the United Nations. The materials used to do this were of a high military grade not available to any random “insurgent” and certainly came from the arsenals of the fallen regime. The main target—and principal victim—was Sergio Vieira de Mello, the dashing Brazilian who had been sent by Kofi Annan to reanimate the U.N. presence in Iraq. De Mello had been the most devoted and humane of the world body’s civil servants and had won himself golden opinions in Cambodia, Lebanon, Sudan, and the Balkans. But it was his role as U.N. supervisor of the transition in East Timor that marked him for death. A communiqué from al-Qaida gloated over the end of “the personal representative of America’s criminal slave, Kofi Annan, the diseased Sergio de Mello, criminal Bush’s friend.” It went on to ask, “Why cry over a heretic? Sergio Vieira de Mello is the one who tried to embellish the image of America, the crusaders and the Jews in Lebanon and Kosovo, and now in Iraq. He is America’s first man where he was nominated by Bush to be in charge of the UN after Kofi Annan, the criminal and slave of America, and he is the crusader that extracted a part of the Islamic land [East Timor]."​

More lies, I guess. Andrew Bolt reports a recent ABC surrender festival hosted by Libby Price, who asked listeners to suggest terms for “peace talks” with Islamic terrorists:

Sure, we shouldn’t really negotiate with killers, Price said on Monday, but “things have progressed so far beyond that”.

To save ourselves we must open talks—if not with bin Laden himself, at least with “someone within the (al-Qaida) organisation that doubts what’s happening”.

And for half an hour her listeners rang with helpful suggestions to cut a deal with the terrorists who have killed so many of us.

We should appoint an expert in “conflict resolution”, suggested one. What about the United Nations, asked a second. And, of course, of course, we should get out of Iraq, the cause of all sorrows.

Dear God, how strange it was, to hear so many callers assume that terrorists happy to blow up children and behead civilians are as reasonable as are they themselves, in a manner of speaking.

Hang on, warned one listener, but wasn’t one of al-Qaida’s desires the return of Spain and East Timor to Muslim rule?

Well, that could be just a “starting point” in these talks, Price replied.​

No wonder The Age’s Pamela Bone has ditched her old comrades:

”A move back towards the left for you?” a regular correspondent emailed, in response to a recent column. “I never left the left. The left left me,” I replied. “The left I thought I was part of didn’t make common cause with fascists.”​
This did not please him.

The big “why” in all of this isn’t anything to do with terrorist motivation, but why so many on the left—facing a force that opposes feminism, homosexuality, diversity, freedom of expression, and democracy—seek cosy understanding of that force. Although, in truth, they don’t; otherwise they wouldn’t deny evidence (East Timor) not supportive of happy assumptions that it’s all about Evil American Imperialism and Oil.

UPDATE. Asked on Lateline about Jemaah Islamiyah leader Abu Bakar Bashir, Robert Fisk hit the big red evasion button:

Get rid of these people out of your mind for the moment. They’re the guys who are bad, they’re the guys who are calling for suicide bombings, yes. But we have to deal with real facts on the ground, and most of them are in the Middle East and we will not do so. I notice every time I raise the issue of the Middle East with you, we come back to Indonesia again. But there are connections between Indonesia and the Middle East—with Indonesia and Libya, actually as well. There are direct connections between al-Qaeda and Indonesia. You’ve said that on your program. We need the talk about the Middle East and we will not do so, and even you on this program - and with much respect, we’re talking as journalists together - you don’t want to make that connection, and that connection exists and unless we make it, we are in danger.​

Why might Fisk be so eager to dodge any mention of Bashir? Possibly because of views like this, revealed in an interview with Scott Atran:

Atran: What can the West, especially the US, do to make the world more peaceful?

Abu Bakar Bashir: They have to stop fighting Islam. That’s impossible because it is sunnatullah [destiny, a law of nature], as Allah has said in the Koran. If they want to have peace, they have to accept to be governed by Islam ... We’ll keep fighting them and they’ll lose. The batil [falsehood] will lose sooner or later. I sent a letter to Bush. I said that you’ll lose and there is no point for you [to fight us]. This [concept] is found in the Koran.

Atran: How can the American regime and its policies change?

Abooby Bing-Bong Basher: We’ll see. As long as there is no intention to fight us and Islam continues to grow there can be peace. This is the doctrine of Islam. Islam can’t be ruled by others. Allah’s law must stand above human law. There is no [example] of Islam and infidels, the right and the wrong, living together in peace.​

Let’s all talk about the Middle East instead.

UPDATE II. More on Bashir the ignored:

There are reports Bashir, who was sentenced to 30 months jail over the 2002 Bali bombings, could have his term reduced by a further month.

It is also reported that Bashir used the telephone in his cell to call on terrorists to use nuclear weapons in their fight.

More urgently, let’s talk about the British invasion of Iraq in 1917.

I thought the Steyn and Hitchens articles were fantastic, I really think these two (along with perhaps Victor Davis Hanson and Ralph Peters) are the four best writers on the war on terror and the larger conflict with Islam's dark side.

Forum List

Back