Islamic schools can get away with this?

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
After reading this,I thought about freedom of speech. But if this were any other group religeous or otherwise,people would be on them like flys on ****. This kind of stuff is what breeds terrorism in these young minds.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127832,00.html

Is this free speech or promoting hate? Why can't other groups (not that they are all right) practice free speech,but these guys can?

Typical media soundbite reporting - pick a textbook from one school and report the story as if every Islamic school in the U.S. has these textbooks. Of course there are probably Christian schools that do this same thing and teach kids that every religion except Christianity is wrong and immoral, but you'll never hear about that on the TV news.

acludem

acludem said:
Typical media soundbite reporting - pick a textbook from one school and report the story as if every Islamic school in the U.S. has these textbooks. Of course there are probably Christian schools that do this same thing and teach kids that every religion except Christianity is wrong and immoral, but you'll never hear about that on the TV news.

acludem

Every Islamic school doesn't HAVE to be using it - one does! Where's the ACLU - and why aren't they in there, fighting for my right not to have my feelings hurt?

And, to any Christian schools who are doing the same thing - be patient. The ACLU will get around to you sooner or later.

acludem said:
acludem

Unbelievable! For someone so concerned with the 'law' you have no problem making an accusation with nothing to back it up but, "Of course...probably...never hear about that..." :wtf:

it doesn't matter what the Muslem teachers say to their kids, for they will burn in the eternal fires of Hell for being born into Islamic false prophet worshipping families. In fact , killing them is a good thing in the eyed of the lord.

I don't really believe that. But the muslim teachers apparenty do, hence sending their children off as suicide/homicide bombers.

musicman said:
Every Islamic school doesn't HAVE to be using it - one does! Where's the ACLU - and why aren't they in there, fighting for my right not to have my feelings hurt?

And, to any Christian schools who are doing the same thing - be patient. The ACLU will get around to you sooner or later.

As long as the schools are private schools, the ACLU will not be touching the issue. Islamic or Christian, they have the right to proscribe their curriculum as they see fit. Are catholic schools any different?

DKSuddeth said:
As long as the schools are private schools, the ACLU will not be touching the issue. Islamic or Christian, they have the right to proscribe their curriculum as they see fit. Are catholic schools any different?

Any that I know of are. Gosh, teaching hate? In both religion classes and social studies classes, there are units on Judaism, Buddism, Islam, Hinduism, and Christianity. Since the religion units are in 7th grade, I KNOW what is taught, as I teach it. Regarding Islam, it's basically the 5 pillars, no hate there. The Koran is stated to be a holy book to Muslims, no hate there.

Kathianne said:
Any that I know of are. Gosh, teaching hate? In both religion classes and social studies classes, there are units on Judaism, Buddism, Islam, Hinduism, and Christianity. Since the religion units are in 7th grade, I KNOW what is taught, as I teach it. Regarding Islam, it's basically the 5 pillars, no hate there. The Koran is stated to be a holy book to Muslims, no hate there.

as the article reads, I saw nowhere that teaches hate. It's whats done by those who preach hate using 'infidels' in obvious misinterpretations to spread hate.

DKSuddeth said:
as the article reads, I saw nowhere that teaches hate. It's whats done by those who preach hate using 'infidels' in obvious misinterpretations to spread hate.

She is referring to a teacher's edition of the book. The TE is going to have the student's text and 'tips for teachers'. This is not like any religion book I've seen, nor the Pretice-Hall Social Studies text used:

The text says — in bold print — in a lesson for Muslim children to learn and recite, "All religions other than Islam are false religions." Right below that is a note to teachers, telling them to explain to the children specifically that the religion "of the Jews and Christians" are "false religions".

The text says — in bold print — in a lesson for Muslim children to learn and recite, "All religions other than Islam are false religions." Right below that is a note to teachers, telling them to explain to the children specifically that the religion "of the Jews and Christians" are "false religions".

She is referring to a teacher's edition of the book. The TE is going to have the student's text and 'tips for teachers'. This is not like any religion book I've seen, nor the Pretice-Hall Social Studies text used:

I've never been to a private catholic or christian school, but my early days of church and sunday school briefly hinted at christianity being the only true religion and that all others were false, if I remember correctly. It was over 25 years ago.

DKSuddeth said:
I've never been to a private catholic or christian school, but my early days of church and sunday school briefly hinted at christianity being the only true religion and that all others were false, if I remember correctly. It was over 25 years ago.

The religion text we use, published by Sadlier, teaches that we are 'saved' through Christ. It does not address, nor hint at 'falseness' of other religions. There is no, 'go out and preach so they will be saved'-just isn't Catholic.

Having been married to a Jew, I've been to synagogs more than a few times. No hate preached while I was there. Just the old testament.

Now, I've been to a Presbyterian church where the minister didn't seem too upset with Muslims or Jews, but sure didn't like Catholics. Mostly though, if I want to visit a Protestant church, I tend towards Episcopal or Lutheran, more comfortable for a Catholic. Some protestant churches do seem to be a little 'to their own,' but since I don't really know, can't say.

krisy said:
After reading this,I thought about freedom of speech. But if this were any other group religeous or otherwise,people would be on them like flys on ****. This kind of stuff is what breeds terrorism in these young minds.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127832,00.html

Is this free speech or promoting hate? Why can't other groups (not that they are all right) practice free speech,but these guys can?

The idea that all other religions are are false religions, is implicit in the religious beliefs Dubbyuh claims to adhere to. It also runs rampant through the fundamentalist Christian "base" that throws its weight behind Dubbyuh. But no one says anything about them.

Bullypulpit said:
The idea that all other religions are are false religions, is implicit in the religious beliefs Dubbyuh claims to adhere to. It also runs rampant through the fundamentalist Christian "base" that throws its weight behind Dubbyuh. But no one says anything about them.

I disagree Bully, you and I have said lots! So have others. How many editorials were correctly written about the extreme anti-abortion people? They were openly condemned in Catholic Churches throughout the country.

Bullypulpit said:
The idea that all other religions are are false religions, is implicit in the religious beliefs Dubbyuh claims to adhere to. It also runs rampant through the fundamentalist Christian "base" that throws its weight behind Dubbyuh. ................

Bullypulpit;

Yes you are right, belief in one religon means that you believe your religion is correct hence the religions are false. Why else would you beleive in that religion if you didn't think it to be the one true religion!!

And yes are president is a logical man and beleives in things in a logical way!

Tom E said:
Bullypulpit;

Yes you are right, belief in one religon means that you believe your religion is correct hence the religions are false. Why else would you beleive in that religion if you didn't think it to be the one true religion!!

And yes are president is a logical man and beleives in things in a logical way!

Oh Tom, you really don't understand...Do you? There is nothing logical about Dubbyuh. The cognitive and emotional impairments he suffers prevent that.

Kathianne said:
I disagree Bully, you and I have said lots! So have others. How many editorials were correctly written about the extreme anti-abortion people? They were openly condemned in Catholic Churches throughout the country.

This thread isn't about abortion dear.

Bullypulpit said:
This thread isn't about abortion dear.

Oh honeybunch, you forgot that you addressed the issue of 'no one says anything about THEM':

Bullypulpit said:
Oh Tom, you really don't understand...Do you? There is nothing logical about Dubbyuh. The cognitive and emotional impairments he suffers prevent that.

Thank you, Dr. Bullypulpit. Obviously, you have numerous degrees in psychiatry, psychology, and pathology - in addition to the many hours you've personally spent treating President Bush. Otherwise, you wouldn't say these things - no ethical medical professional would.

I think the ardent follower of most religions believe that thier religion is the "right" one which implies that all others are false. What to do with "misguided" varies from religion to religion. Some feel as if they need to be "saved" by methods ranging from conversion, heavy duty witnessing to praying for them. Advising children that it is OK to kill those with the "wrong" religion is the crime here. At least other religions reject those who do not believe as they should by less stringent methods and leave it up to God to send them to hell AFTER they die.

I agree dillo, most religions would tell you that they are the true "believers" in God. Making that statement does not necessarily mean you then support killing members of other faiths. The point I made earlier in the thread about Christian schools, I can back up by citing a case from Southwest Missouri where a minister was running a private fundamentalist Christian (or that's what he called it, I think most Christians I know would fine much of what he taught to be out of harmony with there own beliefs) who was teaching students that America was controlled by Jews and that Jews were doing the devil's work and were out to exterminate Christians. There are clearly extremes in every religion, that does not mean we should paint everyone with the same brush.

This school is a PRIVATE Islamic school, so what they do is up to the parents of the children who attend. There is a small, private Islamic school in my community, I know the man who runs it and he would never teach his students that all other faiths are wrong.

acludem

Forum List

Back