Is Too Much Technology Dumbing Down The Population?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vel, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
  3. Middleman

Middleman Defender of the month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Too much Idiocracy is dumbing down the population. Our system encourages the intellectually weak members to reproduce.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    There's evidence to support your point.

In fact there's plenty of evidence to support the theory that the human genome has changed with the changes in civilization at least two times that I can think of.

When we went from hunter gathering to farming the genome changes to give people with superior immune systems an advantage.

And more recently when societies began to industrialize the advantage went to people who, in a farming society weren't really equipped to be farmers.

And now, as digital technology begins to replace people who can think well, I suspect that te genome will begin to change again.

People with superior intelligence who formerly were doing well, will cease doing so well as machines replace them.

My family has a 500 year history of producing computers (people good at basic math)

That meant that until computers we had an advantage in an industrialized society.

Now?

Now any clod with a $10 hand held computer can put us to shame.

Sooner or later we're ALL replaced by technology.

Soylent green is GEORGE JETSON!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,398
    Unfortunate but true.

We all are in some way addicted to technology. Hell if I lost my cell phone and was broke down on the road, I don't know my home telephone number or the wife's cell #.
    I rely on a GPS to navigate a good deal of the time, so I have no idea of how to get to 90% of my customers. Hell I don't even carry maps with me any more.
    The difference between me and most younger folks is that I grew up before most of this technology and could, if forced to, use a map, navigate through the wilderness and grow or kill my own food.

6. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I have a cell phone but know only a few basic functions - by the time I could text somebody I could be at their house having coffee - I cannot drive and talk on a cell phone at the same time. Actually, I just feel like my attention needs to be on the road. I upgraded and now need a new bluetooth device. I can see why having a cell phone with picture taking capability might be useful. I have GPS capability on my phone but haven't a clue how to set the thing up - and unless the thing could tell me what mile marker I'm at (at least in TN) it wouldn't be of that much use to me.

7. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Yes. I think one of the problems is that they do not teach the basics anymore. If you learn the basics you can remember some of them in a crisis. Could I live in a world without electricity? Yes, but I grew up out in the country in the 60's and 70's, was a cub and boy scout, camped out a lot and went through boot camp when we wore boots on marches and during PT. Technology is nice but it sometimes quits. How many of you have lost important things on the computer because it crashes?

A cellphone is something that you need today on the road. Payphones have been virtually eliminated and the little address book, for thos of us who still have one it is back home in the drawer. I try to make sure I have a hard copy of phone and addresses so they will not get lost in the intersphere.

8. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,235
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9s7afoYI-M[/ame]

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Too much technology is already resulting in brain burn, according to every study on multi-tasking. I was looking for the latest study I saw on the Science Channel not too long ago, but can't find it. This comment will do, though. I fear we're breeding what will become a zombie generation.

The Madness of Multi-tasking | Gaiam Life
    On Willie Geist's program this morning ("Way Too Early"), he had a video of a woman who fell in a fountain at a mall because she was talking on her cell phone instead of watching where she was going. I guess it's not up on YouTube yet; couldn't find it. Funny, but not funny.

10. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Yes.