Is THIS What Is Causing the Middle Class to Disappear?

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
(CNSNews.com) - The United States lost 286,000 manufacturing jobs during the time President Barack Obama has been in office, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

But, at the same time, the United States gained 3,238,800 jobs in retail, food services and drinking places.

Manufacturing workers, however, had average hourly earnings ($26.37 in December, according to BLS) that were about 94 percent more than those of workers in food services and drinking places ($13.60 in November) and 45 percent more than workers in retail ($18.18 in December).

(CNSNews.com) - The United States lost 286,000 manufacturing jobs during the time President Barack Obama has been in office, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

But, at the same time, the United States gained 3,238,800 jobs in retail, food services and drinking places.

Manufacturing workers, however, had average hourly earnings ($26.37 in December, according to BLS) that were about 94 percent more than those of workers in food services and drinking places ($13.60 in November) and 45 percent more than workers in retail ($18.18 in December).
Obama must be a miracle worker considering the U.S. lost over 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 and according to you almost all of them must have been under Dubya.

Most US manufacturing jobs lost to technology, not trade

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fb11be0ce-b7ed-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62

Obama must be a miracle worker considering the U.S. lost over 5 million manufacturing jobs since 2000 and according to you almost all of them must have been under Dubya.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fb11be0ce-b7ed-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62
Yeah but bush is white so that was okay according to them

That wasn't the question, dumb ass. But, an admirable attempt at deflection.

One more time ---- has the change in emphasis from manufacturing to service, and the concordant drop in wages, had a significant impact on the middle class?

Anything there you don't understand? (www.dictionary.com)

The middle class is going bye bye for many reasons but two are
1. The wealth is collecting in the top 10-15% of society because of limited bargaining rights and unions. The collapse of unions means the super rich at the top can freely pay less. Less money = less ability to remain in the middle class.

2. Businesses and corporations don't follow anti-trust and have huge loop holes that benefit the larger businesses. This makes it very hard for someone that is middle class to start their own business and move upwards...

Both pretty much means the richer you're the richer you're going to get and the poorer you're the more fucked you're. How do you maintain a middle class with this??? You don't. But conservatives argue that going against the successful early to mid 20th century recipe somehow is now going to work. I don't think so. It is more of the same shit but worse.

Last edited:

One more time ---- has the change in emphasis from manufacturing to service, and the concordant drop in wages, had a significant impact on the middle class?

There was a question? Your dumb ass must have forgotten to include it in your OP.

There was a question? Your dumb ass must have forgotten to include it in your OP.
No --- your dumb ass is obviously unable to have an intelligent discussion without flash cards.

The middle class is going bye bye for many reasons but two are
1. The wealth is collecting in the top 10-15% of society because of limited bargaining rights and unions. The collapse of unions means the super rich at the top can freely pay less. Less money = less ability to remain in the middle class.

2. Businesses and corporations don't follow anti-trust and have huge loop holes that benefit the larger businesses. This makes it very hard for someone that is middle class to start their own business and move upwards...

Both pretty much means the richer you're the richer you're going to get and the poorer you're the more fucked you're. How do you maintain a middle class with this??? You don't. But conservatives argue that going against the successful early to mid 20th century recipe somehow is now going to work. I don't think so. It is more of the same shit but worse.

So --- would you agree, though, that the downward transition of wages, due to the shift from manufacturing to services, is having a negative impact on the middle class?

You say that "the wealth is collecting in the top 10-15% of society. Why? What are the reasons? Is it because they are paying less, or is it because the jobs don't require a pay scale that keeps money from the profit line?

No --- your dumb ass is obviously unable to have an intelligent discussion without flash cards.
I responded to your OP in good faith. You claimed Obama has lost 200,000 manufacturing jobs. I showed you how 5 million were lost between 2000 and 2010. Then I presented you with a chart showing how manufacturing output has skyrocketed while employment has gone down.

Then you claimed there was a question in the OP even though there wasn't one. But I have a question for YOU. Do you think Trump will attack automation to create more manufacturing jobs? Follow up question: Do you think that would be a good thing for the country?

I responded to your OP in good faith. You claimed Obama has lost 200,000 manufacturing jobs. I showed you how 5 million were lost between 2000 and 2010. Then I presented you with a chart showing how manufacturing output has skyrocketed while employment has gone down.

Then you claimed there was a question in the OP even though there wasn't one. But I have a question for YOU. Do you think Trump will attack automation to create more manufacturing jobs? Follow up question: Do you think that would be a good thing for the country?

To answer your question - no, Trump will not attack "automation". Frankly, it's a silly question to ask. I believe that automation is the tool that will save the country, not destroy it. Increased automation creates increased productivity. Increased productivity creates increased income. Increased income creates increased tax revenue.

It will work out ---- the American job force is going to have to recognize that, as currently constituted, they are rapidly becoming irrelevant. It is the workforce that needs to adapt, not the employers.

To answer your question - no, Trump will not attack "automation". Frankly, it's a silly question to ask. I believe that automation is the tool that will save the country, not destroy it. Increased automation creates increased productivity. Increased productivity creates increased income. Increased income creates increased tax revenue.

It will work out ---- the American job force is going to have to recognize that, as currently constituted, they are rapidly becoming irrelevant. It is the workforce that needs to adapt, not the employers.
Then why was your OP a partisan attack against Obama instead of what you just posted?

Then why was your OP a partisan attack against Obama instead of what you just posted?
LOL --- it was NOT a partisan attack against Obama.

It was a recitation of facts released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It made no judgments whatsoever. In fact, if you will notice, my comments about it have studiously avoided the politics. I wondered if the shift in job focus, and resultant loss of average wages, contributed to the failing middle class (which, frankly, would seem obvious to all but the most obtuse).

Methinks thou doth protest too much. You really need to get some creme for that hypersensitivity.

Yep many of those jobs in retail are one person working multiple jobs..

Robots expected to replace some five million jobs by 2020

21 jobs where robots are already replacing humans

http://www.economist.com/news/speci...ause-mass-unemployment-automation-and-anxiety

Economists are already worrying about “job polarisation”, where middle-skill jobs (such as those in manufacturing) are declining but both low-skill and high-skill jobs are expanding. In effect, the workforce bifurcates into two groups doing non-routine work: highly paid, skilled workers (such as architects and senior managers) on the one hand and low-paid, unskilled workers (such as cleaners and burger-flippers) on the other.

------------------------------------

Remember, I posted that only 13% of lost jobs actually left the country. The other jobs were lost to automation. That's why Trump's ridiculous claim of bringing jobs back is ridiculous. If you aren't high skill, then you will be low skill.

Obama and Hillary both had education plans to help Americans but Republicans fought those plans tooth and nail and Trump has no plan at all.

High paying unskilled jobs just aren't an option. Republicans have screwed the country.

It was a recitation of facts released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It made no judgments whatsoever. In fact, if you will notice, my comments about it have studiously avoided the politics. I wondered if the shift in job focus, and resultant loss of average wages, contributed to the failing middle class (which, frankly, would seem obvious to all but the most obtuse).

Methinks thou doth protest too much. You really need to get some creme for that hypersensitivity.
Then why mention him negatively without any context in your OP and link to a website that's notorious for partisan political attacks against him?

You can't deny it's political. Republicans don't help Americans and they won't help Americans here. Why bother to deny it. It's the truth.

Then why mention him without any context in your OP and link to a website that's notorious for partisan political attacks against him?

Ohhhh --- so you're making shit up, huh?

The original article made the reference to Obama, in order to establish a time frame for the statistical comparisons. So, you automatically jumped to the conclusion that, because his name was in the article, that it was an attack on Obama. Have I got that right?? So, you didn't actually bother to even read the post, did you?

Now, I got it figured out ...

You can't deny it's political. Republicans don't help Americans and they won't help Americans here. Why bother to deny it. It's the truth.

We aren't talking politics --- we're talking about somebody's intentional misinterpretation of the original post. If you don't want to stay on subject, it would probably be a good idea for you to start your own little thread so you can rant and rave.

However, if you want to talk about the trend impact on the middle class, please join in.

Then why mention him without any context in your OP and link to a website that's notorious for partisan political attacks against him?

Ohhhh --- so you're making shit up, huh?

The original article made the reference to Obama, in order to establish a time frame for the statistical comparisons. So, you automatically jumped to the conclusion that, because his name was in the article, that it was an attack on Obama. Have I got that right?? So, you didn't actually bother to even read the post, did you?

Now, I got it figured out ...
I did read the article. Then I added additional information with my post, and you replied by saying "that wasn't the question dumbass" even though you didn't ask a question. Maybe you could clarify that.

We aren't talking politics --- we're talking about somebody's intentional misinterpretation of the original post. If you don't want to stay on subject, it would probably be a good idea for you to start your own little thread so you can rant and rave.

However, if you want to talk about the trend impact on the middle class, please join in.
I'm sorry. I thought the title of the thread was:

Is THIS What Is Causing the Middle Class to Disappear?

If it's not lack of jobs that's causing the middle class to split into well paid highly skilled workers and low paid unskilled workers, then I guess I don't know what the problem is. Or maybe I do.

Forum List

Back