Is the media hyping a yet another typical late summer storm?

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The top winds in the tropical storm are predicted to barely hit the hurricane threshold but if that's all ya got you might as well try to scare the shit out of everybody and maybe justify a couple of bucks in federal aid.

I saw on CNN "FIRST FLORIDA HURRICANE IN 11 YEARS"......so much for globull warming spawning more hurricanes LOL

RWNJs would screech the loudest if people were not warned and got hit by a big storm.

You people are never happy, always, whining, always so offended, always blaming everyone else for their own failures.
:anj_stfu:

Well, it hit Cat 1 this afternoon, tomorrow night it should be blowing through my neck of the woods, I am by no means frightened, but I am not taking it lightly. I suspect that by the time it rolls through here it will be back to a tropical storm...

They're saying 4-8 inches of rain, possibility of tornados, wind gust up to 50 mph... I'll let you know how serious it is when it's gone...

Keep in mind that I may not be terribly impressed, I was in on top of the epicenter for the Northridge quake in '94...

Well, it hit Cat 1 this afternoon, tomorrow night it should be blowing through my neck of the woods, I am by no means frightened, but I am not taking it lightly. I suspect that by the time it rolls through here it will be back to a tropical storm...

They're saying 4-8 inches of rain, possibility of tornados, wind gust up to 50 mph... I'll let you know how serious it is when it's gone...

Keep in mind that I may not be terribly impressed, I was in on top of the epicenter for the Northridge quake in '94...
Believe it or don't hurricanes tend to be more powerful than Earthquakes but have become more predictable with better communications. That ability to get out of the way due to better communication usually saves 10s of millions of lives per year except in central America.

Central America gets both quakes and hurricanes and what reduces risk from one increases risk from the other. Don't retire there unless you have a plane to out of the way of the hurricanes.

Believe it or don't hurricanes tend to be more powerful than Earthquakes but have become more predictable with better communications. That ability to get out of the way due to better communication usually saves 10s of millions of lives per year except in central America.

Central America gets both quakes and hurricanes and what reduces risk from one increases risk from the other. Don't retire there unless you have a plane to out of the way of the hurricanes.
I grew up in the Orient, lived through innumerable typhoons and earthquakes, I've been in Cat1s through Cat 5s, never had a problem with preperation. Taiwan would experience frequent earthquakes 99% were mild. I figure if someone is too stupid to take proper precautions then they deserve Darwin awards.......

I grew up in the Orient, lived through innumerable typhoons and earthquakes, I've been in Cat1s through Cat 5s, never had a problem with preperation. Taiwan would experience frequent earthquakes 99% were mild. I figure if someone is too stupid to take proper precautions then they deserve Darwin awards.......

I have sympathy with that opinion but the US navy in the FL keys when my dad was stationed there in the 1960s did not provide enough shelters for dependants and one of my school mates was kiled as a result. Sometimes you don't have the money to prepare.

I have sympathy with that opinion but the US navy in the FL keys when my dad was stationed there in the 1960s did not provide enough shelters for dependants and one of my school mates was kiled as a result. Sometimes you don't have the money to prepare.
I wasn't referring to those unfortunate enough not to be able to escape, there's a difference.

Forum List

Back