Is the American media more liberal or conservative oriented?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
This includes websites, newspapers, news stations, and everything else that reports the news to Americans.
It would be preferable if people would provide sources and reasoning to go along with their claims.
So what will we choose: liberalism or conservatism?

The media has a corporate bias.

I would call this post, ^^ to quote Mona Lisa Vito, "dead on balls accurate".

Ideology don't pay nobody's bills. Advertising pays bills, and to that end any ideology there is, is simply crumbs of bread and circus paraded out to gather eyeballs to sell to the advertiser. That bread and circus could be ideology, could be gossip, could be corporate sports or corporate film or corporate book publishing. Doesn't matter to them; those are just tools.

And indeed when you have a TV network and a newspaper network and a national magazine and a record label and a movie company and a book publisher -- who gets sent to be interviewed on your TV network before his book's made into a film by your movie company which gets reviewed by your magazine, all under a single corporate entity, you not only get to slant the "news" to your corporate agenda -- you actually get to determine what the "news" is. And what it isn't.

That's power, Bud.

One kind of power is having control of government, e.g. though lobbyists. Another more potent one is having control of culture.

And that's damn scary.

Definitely conservative or at least pro corporate. They are all on the same page on important items like keeping the Transpacific partnership secret. Notice the silence there? The press of 40 years ago that raised hell about Watergate, would have been asking for some questions. Same with Iraqgate. The press of old would be calling for the bush administrations heads when wmd's turned out to a be a lie. Some will say, "yeah, dems voted for going into Iraq too", but they did it based on the bush lies. This is what happens when the press is totally owned by big money and corporations.

Definitely conservative or at least pro corporate. They are all on the same page on important items like keeping the Transpacific partnership secret. Notice the silence there? The press of 40 years ago that raised hell about Watergate, would have been asking for some questions. Same with Iraqgate. The press of old would be calling for the bush administrations heads when wmd's turned out to a be a lie. Some will say, "yeah, dems voted for going into Iraq too", but they did it based on the bush lies. This is what happens when the press is totally owned by big money and corporations.

Indeed. It will report on what serves and feeds the Corporate maw and bury what doesn't. War is always a moneymaker. On the other hand when the grand giveaway of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was brewing (the one that led to ClearChannel owning over twelve hundred radio stations) the entire media coverage of its own encroaching bonanza totaled nineteen minutes -- from all sources combined.

And of course when you have a corporation like General Electric owning a major TV network, while also hip-deep in the businesses of nuclear power and weapons, that network is not about to run stories on nuclear power incidents or angles on war that do not amount to cheerleading.

totally liberal except for talk radio , referring to El Rushbo but everywhere else its liberal . Fox is said to be Con but I don't see that as I look at 'sheep' smith and listen to bill oreily make excuses for mrobama and beg mercy for 'bo bergdahl' . Then there are the nightly comedy shows with liberal clowns that run them . Next up is a 's.african' taking over for some clown , think it is 'john stewart' and nightly comedy shows is where lots of mrobama types and supporters get their news .

totally liberal except for talk radio , referring to El Rushbo but everywhere else its liberal . Fox is said to be Con but I don't see that as I look at 'sheep' smith and listen to bill oreily make excuses for mrobama and beg mercy for 'bo bergdahl' . Then there are the nightly comedy shows with liberal clowns that run them . Next up is a 's.african' taking over for some clown , think it is 'john stewart' and nightly comedy shows is where lots of mrobama types and supporters get their news .

If you think media sells ideology, diga me this ---

How do you make money from selling ideology?

Instead of watching the puppet show, try looking UP once in a while. See who's pulling the strings on those puppets. And what their purpose is in doing so.

Here's a hint, from your reference above: What Lush Rimjob's job is, in his own words, is "to make you mad" so that he can "charge confiscatory ad rates". Lush at least doesn't pretend he's not a puppeteer. Neither should you.

morning Pogo , hey look , I replied to the question that the 'OP' asked . I think that you are trying to change the subject / question . Anyway , reread my reply to see what I think because my answer hasn't changed in the last 2 minutes !!

morning Pogo , hey look , I replied to the question that the 'OP' asked . I think that you are trying to change the subject / question . Anyway , reread my reply to see what I think because my answer hasn't changed in the last 2 minutes !!

Morning Pismoe.

Don't rush. Taking more than two minutes is not only OK, it's probably required to grok the depth of this depravity. Check the other posts in this thread -- we're not "changing the subject" -- we're expanding the original question which was hopelessly and naively limited. Its pretense -- that mass media is selling an ideology at all -- is fatally flawed. It requires a response of "none of the above".

Again my question for you ---- let us elaborate:

How do you make money selling "liberal" or "conservative"? Where does the money change hands? Can you walk into Target and buy a jar of Conservative off the shelf? Can you pick up a pound of Liberal in the frozen food aisle?

Commercial media is ... well, commercial. That means they exist to make money. That is in fact its whole purpose, and it makes quite a lot. Where does that money come from? Obviously you can make money selling a Super Bowl or a Seinfeld or even dropping two naked people onto an island. How do you make money selling an ideology?

Last edited:
the media is simply the media and there is enough of it to represent a wide range of attitudes.

It'd how we react to it that matters, and the more rigidly conformist we are, the more we wish it were just like us. Hardcore right wing warriors cast it as having a liberal bias. Hardcore leftie warriors see it as a sell-out.

The answers to questions such as this do not reveal any evidence that the media actually has a bias so much as it does our own.

you got my answer Pogo , I think that media is mostly liberal except Rush and some talk radio , FOX is iffy . I hope that others don't respond to your trick of changing the subject / question that the OP posted !!

you got my answer Pogo , I think that media is mostly liberal except Rush and some talk radio , FOX is iffy . I hope that others don't respond to your trick of changing the subject / question that the OP posted !!

So you can't answer my question.
Maybe you should try, and see where it leads you. That was the point of posing it.

I see your question as change of the original question that I answered Pogo .

I see your question as change of the original question that I answered Pogo .

It is indeed a changing of the original (OP) question. Because that question is built on a false premise. The proper answer to it is "neither" -- as my and several other post have articulated in detail. I suggest you read them and start listening to other views. That is after all the purpose of a message board.

The purpose of my question "how do you sell ideology" is that it proves that premise is false. Because that question has no answer. Which is why you can't come up with one.

I answered the OP , USA media is pretty much liberal except for maybe RUSH Limbaugh , some other talk radio . FOX could be labeled 'moderate' as far as I'm concerned Pogo .

I answered the OP , USA media is pretty much liberal except for maybe RUSH Limbaugh , some other talk radio . FOX could be labeled 'moderate' as far as I'm concerned Pogo .

I understand. You have your preconceived view and are not about to listen to any others. I get that. More's the pity.

answered the OP , USA media is pretty much liberal except for maybe RUSH Limbaugh , some other talk radio . FOX could be labeled 'moderate' as far as I'm concerned Pogo .

Talk radio is not the media.

FAUX News is not media.

Both are right-wing entertainment.

This includes websites, newspapers, news stations, and everything else that reports the news to Americans.
It would be preferable if people would provide sources and reasoning to go along with their claims.
So what will we choose: liberalism or conservatism?

The MSM is the propaganda wing of the democratic party. democrats are leftist - not liberal.

Forum List

Back