Is TARP Criminal?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
TARP Looking More Criminal by the Minute by Donald Luskin on NRO Financial

TARP Looking More Criminal by the Minute
The issue of TARP corruption may now extend from corporate CEOs and federal regulators to New York’s attorney general.

By Donald Luskin

Is TARP a criminal enterprise? When a CNBC producer called me on Wednesday to see if I’d debate that question on the Kudlow Report that evening, I thought the allegation was ridiculous. How could the U.S. Treasury’s Troubled Assets Relief Program to rescue the banking system possibly be compared to the Sopranos?

But now I’m not so sure. Yesterday’s sensational claims by New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo — that Ken Lewis, CEO of TARP-recipient Bank of America, was pressured into what amounts to securities fraud by the Treasury and the Federal Reserve concerning his bank’s acquisition of Merrill Lynch — throws the question right into the headlines. It raises issues of corruption all around, and at the highest levels — from corporate CEOs and federal regulators to Mr. Cuomo himself.

What originally prompted my friend Larry Kudlow to ask if TARP is a criminal enterprise was Wednesday’s report to Congress by TARP’s special inspector general, Neil M. Barofsky, in which it was disclosed that “nearly 20 preliminary and full criminal investigations” are underway, including “large corporate and securities fraud matters affecting TARP investments, tax matters, insider trading, public corruption, and mortgage-modification fraud.” When I first read that I rolled my eyes and said to myself, “Hey, what do you expect?”

But then I started thinking a little more deeply and realized there’s something more here — even before the controversy about Bank of America became known. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how that enormous pot of TARP money has in fact corrupted both the private and public sector.

For example, Barofsky says he’s doing an “audit” to respond to reports that “external parties may have sought to influence decision making by Treasury or bank regulators in considering and deciding on applications for funding” from TARP. Perhaps this refers to the controversy that surfaced last January when it was said that Barney Frank (D., Mass.), the powerful head of the House Financial Services Committee, intervened to get TARP funding for a favored constituent, Boston’s OneUnited Bank. According to the Wall Street Journal, “Mr. Frank, by his own account, wrote into the TARP bill a provision specifically aimed at helping this particular home-state bank. And later, he acknowledges, he spoke to regulators urging that OneUnited be considered for a cash injection.”

Is that the “public corruption” Barofsky is talking about?...
This goes on and on and seems to have legs by what I've read before.

It would be criminal if it worked 100% as intended.

Putting poor people out of work by taking $800B+++ out of the economy to bailout failing companies is a type of fascism and is horribly criminal.

FYI...the current accounting of the TARP funds

Bailout Recipients | Eye on the Bailout

I TRY to imagine what would happen if these banks had not gotten these funds.

Sadly, I am simply not well informed enough (is anyone, really?) to know what might have happened.

Perhaps our Libertarian chums are correct and perhaps it would have been a GOOD think to let the FDIC pick up tyhe total cost of most of the deposits in most of the banks in American if these giants had gone down.

I mean I have trouble imagining how that completel meltdown would have been better in the long run, but then too perhaps they're right and that would have been simply a grand old time when none of us would have had access to the money in our banks.

Last edited:
Corruption is not surprising when it comes to TARP, because corruption begets corruption. It was corrupt for our legislators to ignore the fact that they do not have the power under the Constitution to bail out failed businesses or banks.

There is always going to a bit of corruption when large amounts of money are passed around and businesses see easy street in a surprise package. The key is to minimize the corruption. And the critical question here is was Tarp doing what it is supposed to be doing. Every economist agrees we need to spend money, the disagreement is often only over what and where. We surely do not need another great depression.

The wisdom of Donald Luskin. From an article dated, January 18 2008.

I don't see any realities — other than the dynamics of panic — that justify stocks coming off 15%, especially when they weren't especially overvalued to begin with. And I don't see any realities — again, other than panic — that would justify them falling further, especially since now they're extraordinarily undervalued.

The economy isn't falling into recession. Retail sales are just fine — the supposedly horrible numbers for December look pretty much like the kind of numbers you get every couple months in the normal ebb and flow of a growing economy. We still haven't had any negative jobs growth. The unemployment rate is now 10% lower than the historical average for economic expansions. Jobless claims are at the low end of the range of the last several years. S&P 500 forward earnings, outside the financial sector, are at all-time highs. Some credit markets are in disarray, but bank lending is operating at very near all-time highs. Damaged credit markets, such as the market for asset-backed commercial paper, have been steadily recovering from the summer crisis.

Panic Is Driving Today's Stock Market at SmartMoney.com

Just sayin'...

There is always going to a bit of corruption when large amounts of money are passed around and businesses see easy street in a surprise package. The key is to minimize the corruption. And the critical question here is was Tarp doing what it is supposed to be doing. Every economist agrees we need to spend money, the disagreement is often only over what and where. We surely do not need another great depression.

No, not every economist agrees that we need to spend money.

Ludwig von Mises Institute - Homepage

When are you moon bats gonna stop lying with the "every economist agrees" crap ........

Not that I care, but I don't think one person here has addressed the authoritative source cited.

Wells Fargo chairman Richard Kovacevich, for example, says that he was “forced to take the TARP money.”

I think he is a liar. They took the TARP money and bullied their way into owning Wachovia. I know when the took over First Security they sucked money out of peoples accounts like crazy. My parents were nailed for ten grand.

As Norwest aka Well Fargo made their transition they did the same thing. By not sending out regular statements they made off with a small fortune of other peoples money. Including tax payer dollars. RK came from CITI. Plus many of the CEO's and/or their families own or control little side banks.

Was TARP criminal. I'm sure it was.

Wells Fargo chairman Richard Kovacevich, for example, says that he was “forced to take the TARP money.”

I think he is a liar. They took the TARP money and bullied their way into owning Wachovia. I know when the took over First Security they sucked money out of peoples accounts like crazy. My parents were nailed for ten grand.

As Norwest aka Well Fargo made their transition they did the same thing. By not sending out regular statements they made off with a small fortune of other peoples money. Including tax payer dollars. RK came from CITI. Plus many of the CEO's and/or their families own or control little side banks.

Could or would have they done that without TARP?

Not that I care, but I don't think one person here has addressed the authoritative source cited.

Its very possible that the government forced the banks to break securities laws.

Thanks for that. It seems you were just dealing with what 'is', but there is a problem if what 'is' is wrong to begin with.

Possibly. Even if they could have it still would have been with inflated paperwork and creative accounting. They been doing it for so long it is as their attorney told the Iowa Supreme Court, "Standard banking practices your Honor."

Possibly. Even if they could have it still would have been with inflated paperwork and creative accounting. They been doing it for so long it is as their attorney told the Iowa Supreme Court, "Standard banking practices your Honor."

Truth to tell, I've not a clue to what has happened. But I am sorry for your folks, just wrong.

Just saying these banks/giants have no scruples period. They may be saying one thing but that does not mean there is any truth to it. They have paid off a lot of people to keep there program flowing.

If you are looking at the situation on a whole then consider who owns/ed what and when did they acquire it and/or on the other hand what did they sell and when? Who was a leader in the home mortgage a few years back? WF. Who did they sell those inflated and BS mortagages to? Who went under over all that creative paper and who is still footing the bill for them going under? You have insurance/banking/funds and mortgage companies that are up past their eyeballs in this mess.

Just saying these banks/giants have no scruples period. They may be saying one thing but that does not mean there is any truth to it. They have paid off a lot of people to keep there program flowing.

If you are looking at the situation on a whole then consider who owns/ed what and when did they acquire it and/or on the other hand what did they sell and when? Who was a leader in the home mortgage a few years back? WF. Who did they sell those inflated and BS mortagages to? Who went under over all that creative paper and who is still footing the bill for them going under? You have insurance/banking/funds and mortgage companies that are up past their eyeballs in this mess.

Indeed what is going on is disturbing. Question is, the cause? The government or the banks?

Regarding the OP, seems the reason for refusal of return of funds is becoming more clear with Chrysler. Looks like more is coming out. Audio and links at site:

This evening:

White House Denies Charge By Attorney that Administration Threatened to Destroy Investment Firm's Reputation - Political Punch

White House Denies Charge By Attorney that Administration Threatened to Destroy Investment Firm's Reputation
May 02, 2009 3:17 PM

A leading bankruptcy attorney representing hedge funds and money managers told ABC News Saturday that Steve Rattner, the leader of the Obama administration's Auto Industry Task Force, threatened one of the firms, an investment bank, that if it continued to oppose the administration's Chrysler bankruptcy plan, the White House would use the White House press corps to destroy its reputation.

The White House said the story was false.

"The charge is completely untrue," said White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton, "and there's obviously no evidence to suggest that this happened in any way."...

Island Turtle: White House uses strong arm tactics to extort concessions from lenders

SATURDAY, MAY 2, 2009

White House uses strong arm tactics to extort concessions from lenders
Yesterday (May 1) on Detroit’s Frank Beckman’s morning talk show (WJR), bankruptcy attorney Tom Lauria made the incendiary accusation that the members of the White House had threatened to use the “the full force of the White House Press Corps to destroy” his client’s reputation if it didn’t acquiesce to highly unfavorable terms of the government’s proposed Chrysler restructuring plan. Because of the strongarm tactics, Lauria’s client dropped its opposition.

Here is the tape of Beckman’s interview of Lauria. The relevant portions begin at the 1:30 mark. Listen to it.

Lauria: Let me tell you it’s no fun standing on this side of the fence opposing the President of the United States. In fact, let me just say, people have asked me who I represent. That’s a moving target. I can tell you for sure that I represent one less investor today than I represented yesterday. One of my clients was directly threatened by the White House and in essence compelled to withdraw its opposition to the deal under the threat that the full force of the White House Press Corps would destroy its reputation if it continued to fight. That’s how hard it is to stand on this side of the fence.

Beckman: Was that Perella Weinberg?

Lauria: That was Perella Weinberg.
There is a pattern here. Financial institutions holding billions of Chrysler’s secured debt are being held hostage by the TARP loans they are not permitted to pay back. They are being forced to accept just pennies on the dollar for loans they made in good faith less than two years ago. Just like mob loan sharks, the administration wants them under its thumb so they can extort more and more concessions.

This is an abuse of power that goes beyond Nixon.
POSTED BY CORKY BOYD AT 9:15 AM

Chrysler lender group plans objection to sale | Top News | Reuters

Chrysler lender group plans objection to sale
Fri May 1, 2009 5:03am BST
By Emily Chasan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A group of about 20 lenders that balked at the terms of a government-brokered deal to cut Chrysler LLC's $6.9 billion debt, are now planning to object to the company's planned bankruptcy sale, their attorney said on Thursday.

Chrysler LLC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New York on Thursday, saying that it would sell its core assets including its Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands into a new company that would be owned by the U.S. government, Fiat SpA and the company's workers.

The plan, however, depends on U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval of the sale, and this group of lenders feels the current plan to sell those assets within 30 to 60 days may infringe on their legal rights.

"We're just standing on the law," said Tom Lauria, a bankruptcy attorney at White & Case, representing a group of about 20 Chrysler first lien senior secured lenders....

...He said the group understands the need for Chrysler to sell itself and for the industry to restructure, but owes a fiduciary duty to its investors and objects to the way Chrysler is trying to divvy up the proceeds of the bankruptcy sale without putting it to a creditor vote.

"This is not an objection to rescuing Chrysler, Lauria said.

Rather, Lauria said, Chrysler's proposed plan "inverts" the classic priority scheme written into the bankruptcy code, where senior secured creditors are paid in full first, followed by junior lenders, administrative claims, unsecured lenders and equity holders.

"The sale is an attempt to end-run the procedural protections that are provided to stakeholders by Chapter 11," he said.

"What's happening is the senior secured creditors are going to get 29 cents on the dollar and the unsecured creditors are going to get $10 billion (6.8 billion pounds)."

Lauria said his clients had viewed the quality of their collateral as secure and took correspondingly low interest rates on their loans to Chrysler because the loans were "seemingly secure." But now the lenders find themselves effectively subsidizing more junior creditors, in a way that would not typically occur under the bankruptcy code, Lauria said.

"No court has ever approved something like this before. It is without precedent," Lauria said....

Last edited:
And a follow up to the latest ABC/Tapper post:

Don Surber » Blog Archive » Obama’s pay-to-play scheme

Obama’s pay-to-play scheme
ABC News reported that Steve Rattner, the leader of the Obama administration’s Auto Industry Task Force, threatened to ruin an investment firm’s reputation.

Check out the denial.

Jake Tapper called the White House for its side, and the flack said: “The charge is completely untrue, and there’s obviously no evidence to suggest that this happened in any way.”

Whoa. How does White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton know that there is “no evidence”?

President Obama embraced Venezuela dictator (and lefties hate when I call him a dictator because he was “elected” — as was Kim Jong-Il, Fidel Castro, Josef Stalin, Saddam Hussein and every other lefty dictator).

But the Obama administration threatens taxpaying Americans if they don’t give his government concessions that amount to a tax by taking less money than they loaned the businesses that Obama Inc. is taking over.

Tapper reported: “Thomas Lauria, Global Practice Head of the Financial Restructuring and Insolvency Group at White & Case, told ABC News that Rattner suggested to an official of the boutique investment bank Perella Weinberg Partners that officials of the Obama White House would embarrass the firm for opposing the Obama administration plan, which President Obama announced Thursday, and which requires creditors to accept roughly 29 cents on the dollar for an estimated $6.8 billion owed by Chrysler.”

In short, Obama wants companies to eat nearly $5 billion so that he can give away Chrysler to protect union jobs.

The unions that backed him. This is their payoff.

If true, this is the biggest corruption scam in American history.

But like Obama’s $750 million campaign jackpot, this alleged pay-to-play scam will not be investigated by the authorities, Congress or the press.

Maybe Tapper will stay on it, if Walt Disney-ABC lets him stay on the story.

Forum List

Back