Is shaking hands a crude and dirty custom?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I never really thought of this before, but a woman I work with recently commented that she views the custom of shaking hands as crude and dirty and should essentially be done away with.

- Nice to meet you, here have some germs.

- Nice to meet you too, here have some germs yourself.

- I've been scratching my ass and picking my nose recently, here have some of that.

Thoughts?

I never really thought of this before, but a woman I work with recently commented that she views the custom of shaking hands as crude and dirty and should essentially be done away with.

- I've been scratching my ass and picking my nose recently, here have some of that.

Thoughts?

Maybe she just didn't want to shake YOUR hand? :lol:

I don't believe in that germ bologna...Reach out and shake a hand, it won't kill ya!

(Then run to the hand sanitizer, especially if it's flu season! :eusa_shhh: )

real men wash their hands and shake hands...the custom orginates to show that you have no weapon in your right hand....the normally dominate hand (left handers i dont even want the hate mail give it up)

i shake hands. it is becoming a lost art..and i am bored with men who have hands softer than mine..

Reminds me of a scene from the movie Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock:

[after futuristic, contact-free "sex"]

John Spartan (Stallone): Look, Huxley, why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
Lenina Huxley (Bullock): [stands up, shocked] Eeewww, disgusting! You mean... *fluid transfer*?

Thoughts?

That's what the immune system is for.

it is becoming a lost art
It's making a comeback. All the 20-somethings I know shake religiously. In fact, 1950s style is making a serious comeback. Business casual is giving way to business formal, and casual parties mean shirt-and-tie.

mad-men-774578.jpg

Then again, we are the next Greatest Generation.

Last edited:
  • Banned
For the record, I told my co-worker that I thought she was a paranoid freak, in the nicest possible way of course. I just wanted to see what others thought about it.

And on a related note, dudes with limp handshakes shouldn't be trusted. There's something very very wrong about a limp handshake.

Thoughts?

If both parties are holding on to each others hands, neither one of them is holding onto a club or a knife.

It is avatistic and caveman like, and it has very old logic to it. Very sensible logic.

It may be outdated, but it still makes sense.

And in this day and age, washing hands is easy, and should be part of universal courtesy too.

Thoughts?

Did you ask her how she felt about bumping uglies? I bet she thinks that is OK.

Thoughts?

The ones I like are the "manly" men that want to try and crush your hand. Doesn't work so well with me.:badgrin:

However, I see nothing wrong with it and I'm a germ freak. It's a custom in our society and the society ours came from.

Probably should have asked if she need a few minutes in the powder room to remove her panties from her crack.:eusa_eh:

real men wash their hands and shake hands...the custom orginates to show that you have no weapon in your right hand....the normally dominate hand (left handers i dont even want the hate mail give it up)

i shake hands. it is becoming a lost art..and i am bored with men who have hands softer than mine..

I HATE shaking hands with men who have girly hands. It's almost creepy.

LOL ~ Please allow me to add in those men who shake hands in such a delicate womanly way. Ewwwwww!

I'm no germaphobe, but as I've gotten older I've become more aware of all that we touch throughout our days, and the hands we shake. Everyone should practice good handwashing skills, but many do not. Faucets, door handles, grocery store carraiges, money, shared keyboards. Excuse me ... I'm going to wash my hands now.

Thoughts?

If both parties are holding on to each others hands, neither one of them is holding onto a club or a knife.

It is avatistic and caveman like, and it has very old logic to it. Very sensible logic.

And in this day and age, washing hands is easy, and should be part of universal courtesy too.

Not all that logical. The ruse of holding a dagger in your left while you grasp another's sword hand is almost as old.

Thoughts?

wash your hands frequently. I have refused to shake hands with people when I know my hands are dirty or wet and I let them know why. I then wash my hand and come back to shake theirs.

they now have little bottles of antibacterial lotion....if you don't like what you might get from shaking someone's hands, afterward, use the little bottle, but try to do it discreetly.

Gaaa, what do spazoids do --- shake hands then like their palms? Cripes. Wash yer hands afterwards and get over it already.

Thoughts?

Not all that logical. The ruse of holding a dagger in your left while you grasp another's sword hand is almost as old.

The Boy Scout handshake is done with the left hand. First, it is the hand closest to the heart. Second, tradition says that Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting learned this custom from African warriors when he served in the British military. They held their weapon in their right hand and their shield in their left hand. You had to put your shield down making yourself vulnerable in a sign of trust to shake with your left.

The Boy Scout handshake is done with the left hand. First, it is the hand closest to the heart. Second, tradition says that Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting learned this custom from African warriors when he served in the British military. They held their weapon in their right hand and their shield in their left hand. You had to put your shield down making yourself vulnerable in a sign of trust to shake with your left.

If you're smart, you shake with your right and watch his left with your peripheral vision. Any sign of movement you step forward to the left, straightening his right arm out and delivering a palm heel strike just above the elbow and snap that SOB. Odds are, he's going to forget about what's in his left in favor of squealing like a girl.:evil:

I HATE shaking hands with men who have girly hands. It's almost creepy.

almost?

Forum List

Back