Is Romney Electable

Well, since people are electing him, the answer is obviously yes.

Got any tougher questions?

The OP is afraid...all there is to it.
Didn't a high ranking official of the SBC state Romney he was not a Christian yesterday? I got an email from a friend who likes Drudge, Breitbart AND Newsmax.

I thought Religion wasn't a test to be POTUS...and stating that he isn't 'Christian' is a judgement of an individual...that will be visited upon that person that stated it...when Christ sits in judgement of that person's own Christianity.

Electing Romney or his electability question based on religion is no question at all, but rather his past actions regardless of his professed religion.

It's a faux issue.

Romney electable? Good question. I told my mom he'd be the nominee months ago and pose a serious threat to Obama. Now I'm much less confident in his candidacy.
It's not just his constant gaffes - which will undoubtedly be transformed into soundbites. It's that Santorum has forced Romney to continue moving further and further to The Right and away from The Center - the votes which decide the election.
The GOP should be discussing one thing only: The Economy (including unemployment). Instead, they are allowing themselves to be distracted by social issues and instead of rolling around them and going back to the economy, Santorum is FOCUSING on these issues. IDIOT!!! Obama's approval with women has shot up TEN points in the last three weeks, thanks to this whackjobbery. According to Gallup (who leans Right), Obama has lost nothing with Catholics.
Where Obama was tied with Romney on RCP three months ago, he now leads by 7+ points in the aggregate of all polls. By the time Romney is confirmed, severe damage will have been done.
If I were advising Obama, I would tell him to throw out a new red herring concerning Affirmative Action, SB1070 or something along those lines. Bait the GOP to run to the Extreme Right again and guarantee Obama the minority vote - which is expected to break all records at 30%+ in the 2012 popular vote - and again, keeping them talking about something OTHER THAN unemployment and the economy.
Obama may or may not be a good president but Axelrod and Plouffe are as skilled a political machine as I have ever seen, and their product (Obama) is good at following their advice.
Romney's advisors seem to pale in comparison. They seem to be completely reactive instead of proactive. In tennis, this is called "Letting the other player dictate play".
If Romney is going to have a realistic shot in the General Election, he can't wait until after the GOP Convention to begin dictating play. By then it will be too late - especially if the economy continues on even a mildly positive trend.
Recent polling have shown Romney to be ahead of Obama. People on the street are not liking the present administration's war on selected Republican businesses, on both sides of the aisle because that sets a dangerous precedent for a United States President.

Obama's getting a pink slip. I'm not sure which Republican candidate will hand it to him, but we're doing all we can do to support people who will follow the Constitution, cut big government expenses and spending, and encourage businesses to do what they've always done for the economy--compete on a global level and win business for this nation, defend it from political and fascist entities abroad, and lower gas prices so everyday Americans can restore the tourist industry. America's best customers are Americans, so we're going to have people in the WH who take care of America first.

I'd like to see a Romney/Gingrich ticket and a team effort for America. It would be a win-win for the USA.

Romney electable? Good question. I told my mom he'd be the nominee months ago and pose a serious threat to Obama. Now I'm much less confident in his candidacy.
It's not just his constant gaffes - which will undoubtedly be transformed into soundbites. It's that Santorum has forced Romney to continue moving further and further to The Right and away from The Center - the votes which decide the election.
The GOP should be discussing one thing only: The Economy (including unemployment). Instead, they are allowing themselves to be distracted by social issues and instead of rolling around them and going back to the economy, Santorum is FOCUSING on these issues. IDIOT!!! Obama's approval with women has shot up TEN points in the last three weeks, thanks to this whackjobbery. According to Gallup (who leans Right), Obama has lost nothing with Catholics.
Where Obama was tied with Romney on RCP three months ago, he now leads by 7+ points in the aggregate of all polls. By the time Romney is confirmed, severe damage will have been done.
If I were advising Obama, I would tell him to throw out a new red herring concerning Affirmative Action, SB1070 or something along those lines. Bait the GOP to run to the Extreme Right again and guarantee Obama the minority vote - which is expected to break all records at 30%+ in the 2012 popular vote - and again, keeping them talking about something OTHER THAN unemployment and the economy.
Obama may or may not be a good president but Axelrod and Plouffe are as skilled a political machine as I have ever seen, and their product (Obama) is good at following their advice.
Romney's advisors seem to pale in comparison. They seem to be completely reactive instead of proactive. In tennis, this is called "Letting the other player dictate play".
If Romney is going to have a realistic shot in the General Election, he can't wait until after the GOP Convention to begin dictating play. By then it will be too late - especially if the economy continues on even a mildly positive trend.
Yes.
So is Santorum.
So is Newt.

ALL are a far sight better than the current scumbag in the Whitehouse.

The OP is afraid...all there is to it.
Didn't a high ranking official of the SBC state Romney he was not a Christian yesterday? I got an email from a friend who likes Drudge, Breitbart AND Newsmax.

I thought Religion wasn't a test to be POTUS...and stating that he isn't 'Christian' is a judgement of an individual...that will be visited upon that person that stated it...when Christ sits in judgement of that person's own Christianity.

Electing Romney or his electability question based on religion is no question at all, but rather his past actions regardless of his professed religion.

It's a faux issue.
Reasonable point T, thank you.

It's a faux issue.
Reasonable point T, thank you.

De nada. Thank you.
icon14.gif

And would do a far better job than Obama could ever. Romney isn't waging war on America and it's people. Obama is.

Now I know you would vote for a tennis shoe before Obama but votes like yours don't decide elections. The point of the OP is that Romney is losing a lot of votes with an ineffectual campaign and lack of focus. Any commentary beyond that or is the entire scope of your political sophistication limited to comments such as "Anyone but Obama!". (and of course, slinging petty insults and labels toward anyone posting anything that doesn't fall in line with the proper indoctrination)

YOU know nothing of me.

IDIOT.

Awwww. You're sensitive and upset. I'm so sorry!
Well then by all means let me give you the opportunity to prove me wrong! Which GOP candidate do you find so distasteful, that you would prefer Obama over them?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbpbZQadho&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=13&feature=plpp_video]No Liberal Christians (& Dems All About Sex) - Santorum - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWQgAFOduxU&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=23&feature=plpp_video]Obama a 'Snob' for Supporting College Education - Rick Santorum - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdEbrfN9U6E&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=28&feature=plpp_video]Rick Santorum Pro-Choice? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekdUjjvPEM&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=58&feature=plpp_video]Santorum: Satan Attacking America! - YouTube[/ame]
(lol, dumbass)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIjj7e7OoSw&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=162&feature=plpp_video]Obama Destroying Religious Liberty, Families In America - Santorum - YouTube[/ame]
(in the description, it says: "Rick Santorum is arguing that President Obama is undermining religious liberty and families in America in part because of his stance on birth control that is supported by a majority of Catholics in America (but not the Catholic Church)."

Recent polling have shown Romney to be ahead of Obama. You're wrong. The only polls that have shown ANY GOP candidate ahead of Obama in the last three months are the ones that obviously lean Right: Gallup and Rasmussen. On 10+ other polls, Obama is ahead and right now, the best Rasmussen can give Roomney is a tie.

People on the street are not liking the present administration's war on selected Republican businesses, on both sides of the aisle because that sets a dangerous precedent for a United States President.

Obama's getting a pink slip. I'm not sure which Republican candidate will hand it to him, but we're doing all we can do to support people who will follow the Constitution, cut big government expenses and spending, and encourage businesses to do what they've always done for the economy--compete on a global level and win business for this nation, defend it from political and fascist entities abroad, and lower gas prices so everyday Americans can restore the tourist industry. America's best customers are Americans, so we're going to have people in the WH who take care of America first.

I'd like to see a Romney/Gingrich ticket and a team effort for America. It would be a win-win for the USA.

Could you possibly include just one more bumber sticker phrase? Ok j/k. But as far as the polls you mentioned above:

RCP Average 2/10 - 2/29 -- 49.0 44.4 Obama +4.6
Rasmussen Tracking 2/27 - 2/29 1500 LV 46 43 Obama +3 (Con. Slant)
Politico/GWU/Battleground 2/19 - 2/22 1000 LV 53 43 Obama +10 USA (Lib Slant) Today/Gallup 2/20 - 2/21 881 RV 47 47 Tie (Con Slant)
Associated Press/GfK 2/16 - 2/20 1000 A 51 43 Obama +8
Quinnipiac 2/14 - 2/20 2605 RV 46 44 Obama +2
Democracy Corps (D) 2/11 - 2/14 1000 LV 49 45 Obama +4
CNN/Opinion Research 2/10 - 2/13 937 RV 51 46 Obama +5

So 7 out of 8 polls have Obama ahead and the most Conservative pollsters show a tie. That's not my opinion, that's real time facts.
Romney is in trouble and the point of my post is that he needs to change tactics.
What's interesting is that while my OP is completely Independent and actually just a commentary on how ROmney could do better, the more whackjob types claim "I must be afraid". That's cute. Well that and the fact that all the polls have Obama ahead...

Last edited:
Romney's chances are in direct proportion to how bad the economy and jobs picture looks in September and October. He doesn't have to be anything other than an acceptable alternative if things aren't as good then as they are now.

Last edited:
Romney's chances are in direct proportion to how bad the economy and jobs picture looks in September and October. He doesn't have to be anything other than an acceptable alternative if things aren't as good then as they are now.

I agree with you in that, if the economy goes dramatically downward, Romney wins. If it stays exactly as it is now or continues improving, Obama wins.

Whoever gets the nomination of either party is electable simply by virtue of their getting 33% share of the vote by virtue of having a consonant next to their name. It's sad that this is where we are at in this country but for some reason, the electorate has determined that these political parties represent us when, if they had to identify their key concerns, they would quickly realize that neither party represents the American values that the majority of the people hold near and dear.

So yes, either Romney, Obama or Santorum will be the President on 1/20/13.

Mitt Romney can win but he'll need Obama to cough up the football. One thing we know about Mr. Obama is that he is incredibly disciplined when it comes to campaigning. If I were him, I wouldn't mention Romney's name at all; simply run your offense.

Let's see. It's a tough question, but I'll take a shot.

Is he electable? He's won several elections in the past and is winning them now. I'm gonna hafta go with 'yes', Bob.

Gutter v. Bollinger is already scheduled for a challenge via another case...good keeping up..:rolleyes:

Gutter v. Bollinger is already scheduled for a challenge via another case...good keeping up..:rolleyes:

You know, I hadn't thought about that when I wrote the OP. So now the question is - will Obama bait the GOP with that, the way he did with birth control and if he does, will they do what I predicted and run so far off to the Right, that they hand him the minority vote - while simultaneously staying OFF the subjects of unemployment and the economy.
This will be interesting to observe.
Light hearted snarkiness aside - Good point!

Yes, although it's far too early to make any determinations on his being elected to the Presidency as much can happen in this interim.

Forum List

Back