Is political affiliation a protected class?

Since I wholeheartedly disagree with the very existence of political parties, and wish to see them outlawed, I would say No.
Ok, but the fact is, they do currently exist, and there is still a stigma and hate attached to it, but you still do not believe they should be in a protected class.

BTW, if you wholeheartedly disagree with political parties, what are you doing here at USMB? This kind of thing should be what you are against.

This is already law in some areas... First and foremost... Washington D.C.

It's number 12...

So why not just make it law nationwide?

Ok, but the fact is, they do currently exist, and there is still a stigma and hate attached to it, but you still do not believe they should be in a protected class.

BTW, if you wholeheartedly disagree with political parties, what are you doing here at USMB? This kind of thing should be what you are against.

I am not against politics.

I am also not against sports, movies, scientific advancements, religious discussions and cooking. All of which I have posted about.

But you seem to think it is all about political parties. Thank you for proving my point.

I am not against politics.

I am also not against sports, movies, scientific advancements, religious discussions and cooking. All of which I have posted about.

But you seem to think it is all about political parties. Thank you for proving my point.
It's just hard to engage in a political discussion without taking a side, and, especially here at USMB, where everyone is extremely politically entrenched.

If it isn't, should it be? I think it should. With race, gender, sexual orientation, and others being among those listed as protected classes, why not one of the most fundamental things in this country? Your affiliation to a political party?

Why shouldn't you be protected on the basis of your ideology and whom you vote for?

Granted, USMB, and many talk shows would vanish overnight, but, would it not be worth it to be able to freely believe, and vote, without the fear of persecution, ridicule, and exclusion?
Of course not.

Political affiliation is 100% free choice where race and gender are not

You have no obligation to tell anyone who you voted for or what political party you belong to

It's just hard to engage in a political discussion without taking a side, and, especially here at USMB, where everyone is extremely politically entrenched.

The fact that some people are hostile pricks, who judge you solely by the political party you affiliate with, does not mean there needs to be a protected class for political parties.

In fact, I have never been a member (or strict follower) of any political party. But that does not stop numerous posters here of accusing me of being whatever party they hate.

No, it should not be. Mostly because such a thing should not exist to start with
And you also are failing to recognize that, even though you think they shouldn't exist, they DO exist, and there are people who are treated differently, unfairly, and often poorly because of who they vote for. Do you believe that kind of persecution should be allowed to continue? You think it's OK for people to be harassed because they are a Biden voter...or a Trump voter? Do you think employers should be allowed to treat you differently because of what you believe?

Of course not.

Political affiliation is 100% free choice where race and gender are not

You have no obligation to tell anyone who you voted for or what political party you belong to
Its not about free choice, it's about your fundamental right to vote for, and support whom you choose, left OR right, without fear of persecution for it.

And who cares if you have a choice about it or not, your freedom to believe what you want shouldnt be fodder for hate.

Also, for some, what they believe isn't a choice either, it's just who they are, so in that sense, it is every bit as part of their personhood as gender or race.

The fact that some people are hostile pricks, who judge you solely by the political party you affiliate with, does not mean there needs to be a protected class for political parties.

In fact, I have never been a member (or strict follower) of any political party. But that does not stop numerous posters here of accusing me of being whatever party they hate.
So, explain why your preference of political party should not be protected like any other civil right?

Do you believe that kind of persecution should be allowed to continue?

As long as the Govt is not doing it....yes. Though I would not use the word persecution, that is a bit over the top.

You think it's OK for people to be harassed because they are a Biden voter...or a Trump voter?

Ok, no...but I do not think it should be illegal.

Do you think employers should be allowed to treat you differently because of what you believe?

I think you should leave your politics at home and not take them to the workplace.

explain why your preference of political party should not be protected like any other civil right?

Because it is not a civil right any more than your preference of which brand of pizza you like to eat or which of the 1000 flavors of church you choose.

I agree with the founding fathers, that there should not be political parties.
in principle, i agree. in practice, it will never happen. people tend to stereotype to prevent having to actually think.

So, explain why your preference of political party should not be protected like any other civil right?

I like pineapple on pizza. I like candy corn. Both are routinely ridiculed. Are my civil rights being violated?

The only way people know of your choice of political parties and candidates is if you tell them.

I have been on this site for years. Does anyone here know who I voted for?

As long as the Govt is not doing it....yes. Though I would not use the word persecution, that is a bit over the top.

Ok, no...but I do not think it should be illegal.

I think you should leave your politics at home and not take them to the workplace.

Because it is not a civil right any more than your preference of which brand of pizza you like to eat or which of the 1000 flavors of church you choose.

So, as long as the gov is not doing it, political hate is completely fair game?

Ok, I can't argue that. I mean, I think people will answer this way now, because they have the upper hand, but some day, when the shoe is on the other foot, this topic will be revisited.

I agree, but, politics does make it way into conversation at work, and you can pretty much guarantee that having right leaning political beliefs will get you in trouble significantly more than left leaning beliefs.

I know it's not, that's why I asked if it should be. What you choose to believe, which can be a part of who you are, should be a protected right.

Though I would not use the word persecution, that is a bit over the top.

Id say persecution is an apt description. You see it happening all over social media, with right leaning folks being banned for their political views. Even the government is getting in on the action. I need only point to bidens speech, calling "maga republicans" (the millions who voted for trump) as threats to the country. That's political persecution. It's also the very definition of hateful rhetoric.

But I get it, it appears most people don't believe you should be able to be free to vote as you please without being a target for ridicule and harassment. It is your right and freedom of speech, after all, to say what you want about other people.

Thanks for answering!

I like pineapple on pizza. I like candy corn. Both are routinely ridiculed. Are my civil rights being violated?

The only way people know of your choice of political parties and candidates is if you tell them.

Ok, but nobody is going to hate you for eating pineapple on pizza and candy corn, but, voting, and political affiliation are a fundamental right, that can often land you in bad situation because of your beliefs, certainly at the bad end of hateful rhetoric. You probably won't get that for pineapple pizza and candy corn.

BTW, PP and CC are not civil rights, but your political affiliation, and you're freedom to vote without fear of harassment are..or at least should be.

So, you are suggesting that, in order to avoid harassment, you should have to hide your political affiliation? I think that's one reason why this topic should be discussed.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall some posts of yours, maybe a year or two ago, that gave me the distinct impression that you vote Democrat.

Ok, but nobody is going to hate you for eating pineapple on pizza and candy corn, but, voting, and political affiliation are a fundamental right, that can often land you in bad situation because of your beliefs, certainly at the bad end of hateful rhetoric. You probably won't get that for pineapple pizza and candy corn.

BTW, PP and CC are not civil rights, but your political affiliation, and you're freedom to vote without fear of harassment are..or at least should be.

So, you are suggesting that, in order to avoid harassment, you should have to hide your political affiliation? I think that's one reason why this topic should be discussed.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall some posts of yours, maybe a year or two ago, that gave me the distinct impression that you vote Democrat.

I think we see the hatred in different ways. I see it coming from both sides. And given the number of threads, by conservatives, suggesting a civil war is inevitable, there is certainly pushback.

I don't think you have to hide anything. But if you want no harassment, it is certainly one way to accomplish it. And as far as the workplace, my last 3 jobs have been pretty soundly conservative.

As far as me sounding as though I voted democrat, that is more due to a dislike of Trump than anything. I am also pro-gay rights, in favor of some sort of medical insurance or coverage for those who cannot afford basic care, and a few other humanitarian issues. I am also on record in favor of lower taxes or even better, the Fair Tax Act. I am a solid supporter of 2nd amendment rights. And I want to see smaller gov't and less gov't intrusion into our lives.

There are rare occasions when physical violence or serious workplace discrimination happens because of political beliefs.

But if "hateful rhetoric" is all that happens, so be it. If your own beliefs cannot withstand someone disliking them, then perhaps you should re-examine your beliefs.

If it isn't, should it be? I think it should. With race, gender, sexual orientation, and others being among those listed as protected classes, why not one of the most fundamental things in this country? Your affiliation to a political party?

Why shouldn't you be protected on the basis of your ideology and whom you vote for?

Granted, USMB, and many talk shows would vanish overnight, but, would it not be worth it to be able to freely believe, and vote, without the fear of persecution, ridicule, and exclusion?

It isn't and it shouldn't be. You're not born with a political affiliation. It's not something you have to have and can't change.

I think we see the hatred in different ways. I see it coming from both sides. And given the number of threads, by conservatives, suggesting a civil war is inevitable, there is certainly pushback.

I don't think you have to hide anything. But if you want no harassment, it is certainly one way to accomplish it. And as far as the workplace, my last 3 jobs have been pretty soundly conservative.

As far as me sounding as though I voted democrat, that is more due to a dislike of Trump than anything. I am also pro-gay rights, in favor of some sort of medical insurance or coverage for those who cannot afford basic care, and a few other humanitarian issues. I am also on record in favor of lower taxes or even better, the Fair Tax Act. I am a solid supporter of 2nd amendment rights. And I want to see smaller gov't and less gov't intrusion into our lives.
Oh, no doubt it comes from both sides, but the amount of hate being thrown around is why people have to hide their affiliations. Largely that hate is being pushed, and amplified, by the media.

Forum List

Back