Is McCain is a U.S. citizen?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScreamingEagle, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    The New York Slimes is questioning whether or not McCain is a U.S. citizen qualified to become President because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone. His father, a Navy Admiral, was stationed there.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    READ the last little bit before the "cont." the intent is RIGHT there. Anyone born of an American citizen is by law and fact a "NATURAL' born American. They have no need to prove their citizenship except that at least one of their parents was an American Citizen. No test, no naturalization process, nothing except the fact one of their parents was an American citizen when they were born. Nothing Foreign about that at all.

This is nothing more than the left trying to "fix" the election and arrange a new claim of being "cheated" if the Democrat loses once again. It is ALL about playing games and trying to thwart the laws and the intent and will of the American voter. It is nothing more than proof of the contempt the left has for American voters, their intelligence and fear of the left they can not win an election.

I am quite sure that come November if McCain wins these people will be lodging a formal challenge claiming what they are claiming now. Hillary and Obama both WOULD resort to just such legal trickery to attempt yet another bloodless Coup in this Country, similar to the one Gore tried in 2000.

3. Teri B.

Teri B. Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am I the only one who finds this offensive? I have a sister who was born on an Air Base in Japan when my Dad was stationed there. It would be pretty darn unfair to say that because her father was serving his country overseas, she wouldn't be eligible to be president. Aren't military bases overseas are considered U.S. soil? I don't think the founders considered that we'd have military bases all over the world when they wrote that.

4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,007
    A guy who I work with was born in Thailand to American parents who were stationed there. He tells me he can't be the President. I thought you had to born in the US to be President. Is this true? Do army bases count as American territory?

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I think most likely, it means that if you're born an American citizen you can be president. I don't think the "where" matters as much, particularly if one considers the purpose for the naturalized citizenship requirement. But the Constitutional "literalists" might disagree.

I think your friend might be incorrect.

6. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    It's a stupid rule anyway. If you are a citizen of hte US you should have all the rights that other citizens have - including becoming president...

7. jodylee

jodylee Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    and what if they were born on a plane. Dosn't work like that. the only time birth location is a concern is when the parents arn't citizens

8. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It's nativism, to be expected from a young nation that wrested its fate away from a controlling parent. I think it's outdated but it suits the modern nativists.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    No, it wasn't and isn't, we are and have been a country of immigrants. Surprisingly some come for not such well-meaning reasons.

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    We're all nations of immigrants, unless we live in the Rift Valley. But that aside, it's nativism.

I don't know how many founding fathers were born in the British Isles but I'd guess one or two. I would think many more would have been born in the American colonies but in the nature of the first generation born on the new soil they probably felt the strong need to reject the parental nation (and given what it was like in the 18th Century I can't blame them!).

I'm not condemning them Kathianne, their patriotism is natural. They wanted their presidents to be be born on American soil. But perhaps it's time for a relaxation? After all even the Brits found it far preferable to have protestant monarchs from Germany and Holland rather than British-born Catholics.

I'm just looking at my watch...any minute now.......