CDZ Is It Time For A Constitutional Convention?

With an overreaching federal government increasingly imposing their will on the American people, running half trillion dollar annual deficits, and shredding the Bill of Rights, many states rights advocates are calling for a Constitutional Convention to stop the dismantling of our republic. Elections don't seem to matter any more, since both parties are working together to deny the will of the people, as this election clearly illustrates.
Article V of the Constitution gives the states the right to do this and it requires two thirds of the states to make it happen. Three fourths are then required to ratify it. It's never been done but the provision is there and a lot of people are fed up with the abuses by our federal government and this could be the only way to make real change.
6 states have signed on so far, 28 more are needed. Would you support such a move?
States' rights advocates eye convention to bypass Congress, amend Constitution | Fox News

Weird, the Left is also looking for an Amendment;

"Wolf PAC is an American non-partisan political action committee formed in 2011 with the goal of "ending corporate personhood and publicly financing all elections in our country", to include the restriction of large monetary donations to political candidates, parties, and groups.[4][5] It began with an announcement at an Occupy Wall Street rally in New York Cityby The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur.[6] On a state level Wolf PAC has bi-partisan support for its objectives.[7]

Its strategy is to add a 28th amendment to the Constitution, thereby overturning multipleSupreme Court cases including Citizens United v. FEC and Buckley v. Valeo, which cumulatively have made it impossible to achieve Wolf PAC's campaign finance goals through simple legislation. Wolf PAC believes that Congress is too corrupt to pass such an amendment itself, and therefore advocates a convention of the States, which is a procedure outlined in Article V of the Constitution. As of July 2015, four out of the necessary thirty-four states have passed resolutions calling for such a convention."

Too bad the two groups couldn't get together somehow.

Why would we want to publicly fund the campaigns of corrupt politicians......?

Jeb spent 140 million dollars and lost.....so money is not the issue.....

You would be right Jim, if the money Problem went away after the last ballot was counted, unfortunately that's when the the real problems begin. The Big Money Donors start looking for payback, legislation favorable to their industries are at the to of the list. I'm in a rush again this A.M. but for now give a few minutes to this video even if you hate John Oliver, the facts he gives us are still facts. I'm going to have more on this when I get back.

There is no need to rewrite the constitution or call for a constitutional convention, just enforce the laws and bill of rights, hold those elected to political office accountable. Its a great document testifying to the will of man and freedoms granted from God. Live with it or get the hell out of the country!

See what I mean, S.J.? Here's yet another poster who thinks you're talking about calling a Constitutional Convention to rewrite our Constitution.

Imagine you are a golfer... I am not criticizing your game, I am trying to give you some pointers on your approach. You can take offense and get all huffy about that, it doesn't matter to me, I am just trying to give helpful advice. This is NOT a Constitutional Convention and the Constitution doesn't provide for such a thing. It is a call for a convention of states to AMEND the Constitution. Nothing more.

There is no need to rewrite the constitution or call for a constitutional convention, just enforce the laws and bill of rights, hold those elected to political office accountable. Its a great document testifying to the will of man and freedoms granted from God. Live with it or get the hell out of the country!

See what I mean, S.J.? Here's yet another poster who thinks you're talking about calling a Constitutional Convention to rewrite our Constitution.

Imagine you are a golfer... I am not criticizing your game, I am trying to give you some pointers on your approach. You can take offense and get all huffy about that, it doesn't matter to me, I am just trying to give helpful advice. This is NOT a Constitutional Convention and the Constitution doesn't provide for such a thing. It is a call for a convention of states to AMEND the Constitution. Nothing more.
Fine. Now do you care to discuss AMENDING the Constitution through Article V or do you want to continue to harp on this and derail the thread even more than you already have? Liberals will twist it to fit their agenda no matter what I call it. If you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

A CC is a wet dream for progressives. They realize that the result of one will not be a return to the original concept but instead you would see a rewrite more in line with the UN's
Declaration of human rights. Nowhere is there a mention of the right to bear arms. Nope. Lots of words that mean nothing because there is no way to enforce a single one of them. The UN would LOVE a CC. That would be the final nail in the coffin of US sovereignty.

No thank you.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights | United Nations
As Boss pointed out (as nauseam), it's not actually a Constitutional Convention, it's similar but it only AMENDS the Constitution. Only specific issues would be addressed that Congress is not willing to deal with. There is no danger of a U.N. Declaration of Human Rights being imposed on us.

Fine. Now do you care to discuss AMENDING the Constitution through Article V or do you want to continue to harp on this and derail the thread even more than you already have? Liberals will twist it to fit their agenda no matter what I call it. If you don't want to discuss it, then don't.

I haven't derailed the thread or harped on anything. Correcting what you said took longer than usual because you chose to argue with me about it. This isn't a Liberal/Conservative thing, Liberals must be involved in the process or it won't work. Your need 2/3 and 3/4 of the states. Something Liberals don't support is never going to pass.

I have already discussed amending the constitution through Article V. I think there needs to be a precedent set. I think we need to pick one specific thing, like maybe the balanced budget, since it only needs 7 more states... get that passed and actually have a precedent for this process going forward. Once you've done that it becomes easier because people can see how it works and they aren't afraid of all this stuff like runaway conventions.

The biggest problem you'll face is Congress. They are not going to willingly give up their power. Whenever it gets to the point where they see the writing is on the wall and the issue is going to demand a convention, they will act themselves to pass the amendment because that way they can get to control the variables. I can't recall the specific Amendments but several of them began as state-led initiatives through Article V. Before the states could get the needed 2/3, Congress acted. That's why we've never had an Article V Amendment directly.

With an overreaching federal government increasingly imposing their will on the American people, running half trillion dollar annual deficits, and shredding the Bill of Rights, many states rights advocates are calling for a Constitutional Convention to stop the dismantling of our republic. Elections don't seem to matter any more, since both parties are working together to deny the will of the people, as this election clearly illustrates.
Article V of the Constitution gives the states the right to do this and it requires two thirds of the states to make it happen. Three fourths are then required to ratify it. It's never been done but the provision is there and a lot of people are fed up with the abuses by our federal government and this could be the only way to make real change.
6 states have signed on so far, 28 more are needed. Would you support such a move?
States' rights advocates eye convention to bypass Congress, amend Constitution | Fox News
Unfortunate for your phony patriots that a Constitutional Convention wouldn't be limited to just whatever they feel like talking about. The entire Constitution would be up for grabs. Good luck predicting the outcome.

Unfortunate for your phony patriots that a Constitutional Convention wouldn't be limited to just whatever they feel like talking about. The entire Constitution would be up for grabs. Good luck predicting the outcome.

There you are again, S.J. ....You see what kind of shitstorm you've started?

WORDS MATTER!

A CC would be the end of this country. Conservatives simply don't play politics very well and would be eaten alive.

I don't think so. Their main advantage is that small (conservative) states would have as much power as large (liberal) states. As a result, 3/4 ratification could occur without the approval of California, New York, Massachusetts, etc.

Forum List

Back