"Is Britain to blame for many of the world's problems?"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Blagger, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Blagger

Blagger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Two historians offer opposing views:

Nick Lloyd, lecturer in defence studies, King's College London.

Andrew Thompson, professor of imperial and global history, University of Leeds.

So, there you have it. Did us resourseful Brits guide our empire forward with a paternal hand firmly, but reassuringly attached to our subjects' shoulder, or did we use our military, econmic and industrial superiority to bully, intimidate and murder our native subjects into subservience?

David Cameron toadying to the natives by betraying the Empire - BBfuckingC

P.s. I'd be most grateful if any of our indignant Jew or fanatical Mohammedan readers, or any other race that we supposedly oppressed, could keep their replies under control. Although I concede that we did give you chaps a bit of a rough time, one must remember that one man's oppression is another man's civilizing.

Oh, and can any replies coming from the Irish quarter please remain objective, not invective.

Thanks for reading, you may now answer.

2. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Yes.

And lousy food as well.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Empires are double edged swords.

Typically bring good things (like modernization) and bad (like exploitation of the people).

If you look at the world's hot spots you'll note that most of them were formerly Brit colonies.

And if you look at the reamining hots spots most of them were former EURO colonies.

Now the question is would those places not be hotspots had they never been colonialized?

I don't think anybody can say with certainty they would be peaceful, happy pprosperous places had they not been colonies.

AFter all, the reason they fell to become EURO colonies is because their societies and goverments were failing to serve them very well.

And if you look at how most of them fared after they became independent, few of them are doing especially well now, too

Its just too simplictic to BLAME the UK for the world's problems. I'm not at all trying to whitewash the history of the Brit Empire, but I am also suggesting that blaming today's problems for an empire that essantially ceased to exist 70 years ago is also a mistake.

Certainly former empires share some of the blame, and today's American empire isn't helping much, either, but asking these kinds of questions is, I think, a futile exercise.

History is what it is.

Imagining how it might have been otherwise is somewaht pointless except as an intellectual exercise.

4. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Not necessarily. A country like Japan was never colonized because of geography and luck. Part of the luck stemmed from a recognition that they needed to catch up militarily with Europe..and fast.

5. LumpyPostage

LumpyPostage [blank]

Thanks Received:
    A closed list proportionally represented parliamen
    Ratings:
    +51
    What about haggis?

[​IMG]

6. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Idiot problems were the source of the empire. the problems were there before the empire. Some of the worst problems were solved under the empire, and the problems that the empire smothered came back after the empire went away, but there was no way a small island could have run that big of an empire without the subject states being so badly messed up before they arrived that they could establish it.

7. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,327
    There would be fewer problems had the Brits never drawn maps. They created Kuwait out of Iraq. They delineated Jordan, Palestine and Lebanon.

A few lines on paper drawn by British bureaucrats and voilà, cultural, monetary and political problems.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,327
    That's Scottish, thank you very much. There's a damn good reason you have NEVER seen a Scottish restaurant. Irish gilles, British pubs? Sure! But ne'er Scottish cuisine.

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    No, not at all.

they were one of many world empires, kingdoms, etc.

All where built by force of arms and mostly kept by force of arms.

pfft, England was "civilised" at the end of a Roman spear.

The ME issues? pfft, somebody had to do something and it wasn't going to be France.

From; "My little book of facts"

In all of recorded history there has been world peace 2% of that time.

war, conflict, thinking we are better than the others cuz our Flag is cooler [and Americas Flag is] is our normal state.

going out of our way to help other countries and people is alein to us, and is often resented.

10. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    YES YES and YES!!! Did i say Yes? Great Britain meddles in every Nations' business all around the World. They interfere and incite everywhere. They still haven't let go of their Colonialist mentality. They really do believe they have the right to tell other nations what's best for them. They do cause many problems around the World. They just can't mind their own business.

Unfortunately my Nation has chosen to follow their lead on Aggressive Foreign Interventionism. Both the U.S. and Britain are the cause of many problems around the World. I just hope i live to see the day when the U.S. ends these awful Foreign Interventionist policies. There is no hope at all for Britain though. They just can't mind their own business. And that's not gonna change.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011