Is A Free Society The Goal of Most Politicans Today?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Freedomfan1776, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Freedomfan1776

Freedomfan1776 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There was a time when that was the goal, but it seems as though control is the new goal. What do you think?

Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher summs up my sentiments in her "Free Society" speech in 1975. If you would like to see it here is the link to the video: http://http://obamacarefail.com/?p=393

2. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    Of course not, the goal of all politicans is election or reelection; everything else is secondary.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gremlin-USA

Gremlin-USA <<< Me in 1970

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I would say Power/Control is a Major Priority

Personally I could never live in Washington among so much Crud for 30 or 40 years like some Politicians do.

But, I guess I am not memorized by Power, Fame and Glory.

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I agree that the government has been ever increasingly infringing on our civil and constitutional liberties since the 70's. It really accellerated under bush and has taken off like a rocketship under obama.

The goal of most politicians howerver is to get re-elected and gain more power.

5. Freedomfan1776

Freedomfan1776 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Something which I find quite interesting is that politicians today believe that their path to re-election is found by passing legislation which exerts more control over the citizenry.

6. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,316
    I agree. What I can't understand is why liberals want to give up their freedom from government.
    Someone posted somewhere around this forum about the millions of homeless eating out of garbage cans, if it was'nt for government. If government got out of the way we would have plenty of charities that can feed the homeless.
    Charities do it much better than government and for less money, but lib's can't wrap their heads around this type of thinking.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'd say that the concentration of power from the ruled to the rulers began way before the 1970's, we're just seeing the escalation of something that started long ago. There were safeguards put into the Constitution, yet they needed to be exercised by the people. Will they demand a pullback? Would it be allowed, without force? Time will tell.

8. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    YES!
    Free education. Free healthcare. Free unemployment checks. Free this and free that.

Tax, tax. Spend, spend. Elect, elect. That's the mantra.

9. Freedomfan1776

Freedomfan1776 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are exactly right. However, one of the most frustrating things is when anyone believes that anything can be provided to them for 'free.' Just take the example of 'free' healthcare. Even if the consumer of the healthcare service does not believe it costs him anything to consume the product, the truth is, unlike free speech, in order for one to engage in the consumption of the product, he must take away something from another; namely the healthcare provider.

10. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    No one believes anything is free. I want the freedom to opt into a public option insurance co-op (where everyeone *gasp* pays in) with millions of others so that I can pay less for health insurance and receive more of the service that I pay for without fear that it'll be ripped away from me in order to increase profits. I no longer want to support the immoral greed of insurance companies.