Iraq: Reality Call

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/28708.htm

2. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    "Our enemies and fair-weather friends alike will try to disrupt the voting. Our response may decide the future of the entire Middle East."

Amen to that, sister.

Anyone ever seen the HBO documentary Death in Gaza? Its pretty frightening-- it shows the martyr culture of Palestine and how quickly hatred and willingness to devote oneself to Jihad. As soon as one martyr is killed, his 15 cousins seem to join the cause and pick up the banner. I seriously hope this isn't the case in Iraq, or else we're in for a major mess.

Is anyone aware of the similarities/differences between Palestinian hatred of Israel and the Iraqi militants' hatred of the U.S. and its 'puppet government'? On the news recently I heard that Iraqi civilians blame U.S. troops who respond to a suicide bombing or mortar attack, etc, rather than the actual perpetrators. This seems more or less akin to the general stance in Palestine. I really really hope levelheadedness prevails and the general population doesn't sink into this perception of their liberators, but I really have no sense of how its playing out-- anyone know if Ms. Ammanpour (sp?) has done any human life stories in Baghdad recently? =P

P.S. this is genuine curiosity, not feigned pessimism. See the avatar :D