Iraq and Al Qaeda...Conflation and Fabrication

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <blockquote>We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them. - <a href=http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010911-16.html>George W. Bush, 9/11/2001</a></blockquote>

Such were Chimpy's words on 9/11, 5 years ago. This doctrine led us to the invasion of Iraq which, given information contained in the Senate Intelligence Committee's Phase II Report, did not qualify for inclusion under this doctrine.

The report indicates that Chimpy and Co attacked Iraq, a nation haveing no operational ties to Al Qaeda, but was ulimately hostile towards Al Qaeda.

<blockquote>Detainee informationfrom high-ranking al-Qa'ida officials and associates suggests there was intense debate within the al Qa'ida leadership in Afghanistan over the risks and benefits of working with Baghdad, and that <b>bin Laden was generally opposed to collaboration</b>. - Phase II Report, pg 65 (<i>emphasis mine</i>)</blockquote>

<blockquote>According to Tariq Aziz, "Saddam only expressed negative sentiments about bin Laden." Aziz told the FBI that "when the Taliban was in power, the Iraq governemnt deliberately avoided opening an embassy in Kabul." Aziz underscored Saddam's distrust of Islamic extremists like bin Laden, stating that when the Iraqi regime started to see evidence that Wahabists had come to Iraq, "The Iraqi regime issued a decree aggressively outlawing Wahabism in Iraq and threatening offenders with execution." - Phase II Report, pg 67</blockquote>

<blockquote>Postwar findings indicate that Saddam Hussein was distrustful of al-Qa’ida and viewed Islamic extremists as a threat to his regime, refusing all requests from al Qa’ida to provide material or operational support. Debriefings of key leaders of the former Iraqi regime indicate that Saddam distrusted Islamic radicals in general, and al Qa’ida in particular… Debriefings also indicate that Saddam issued a general order that Iraq should not deal with al Qa’ida. No postwar information suggests that the Iraqi regime attempted to facilitate a relationship with bin Ladin. - Phase II Report, pg 105</blockquote>

As for the Administration claims, lately reinforced by Condi Rice and Dick Cheney, regarding ties between Saddam Hussein and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, they have been shown to be equally false.

<blockquote>Postwar information indicates that Saddam Hussein attempted, unsuccessfully, to locate and capture al-Zarqawi and that the regime did not have a relationship with, harbor, or turn a blind eye toward Zarqawi. - Phase II Report, pg 109</blockquote>

Prior to the US invasion of Iraq, al-Zarqawi was not member of Al Qaeda, but rather, he and his organization, Ansar al Islam, were part of a loose affiliation with Al Qaeda. And at the time of his death he was becoming a thorn in the side of al Qaeda because of his maverick actions which often interfered with the goals of Al Qaeda leadership.

Conflation and fabrication have been the hallmark of the Bush administration since before the invasion of Iraq. Now that the tide of public sentiment has turned against Bush administration policy in Iraq, they are employing these tools with greater ferocity than ever. They see their grip on power, and the fear they have used to maintain it, slipping and their desperation is obvious. And, of course, there is their fear of Democrats with subpoena powers.

Their speeches over the last week, including including Chimpy's Monday night, is merely the same old turd they've been trying to polish since the invasion of Iraq. Conflate...Fabricate...Belittle their critics as unAmerican or unpatriotic. Some things never chage, even when they need to.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    WoW--so what to we do about it now, Bully ?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hmmm:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=1734490&page=1
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=1734490&page=2

4. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Oh Kathianne there is much more evidence of which i've posted in the past of many ties between Sadaam and Al Qaeda and many other international terrorist groups.

Betcha Bully won't buy it........sources you know!

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I know. Source was ABC, an ultra right wing news organization, hiding behind the front of Inview...

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Yeah, he'll say something like that, because as we all know his source a senate panel on foriegn intelligence would never lie....................

7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Just like Chimpy and Co would never lie...

A bipartisan report from a GOP controlled Senate committee...I'll give it more cred than anything you dredge up off of NEWSMAXX.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bully, really it's getting old. Fess up, there is nothing that could be said by the admin, the military, Congress, etc., that will get you off the 'lies.' If it was written that they were wrong in what they said in the UN, on the ship "Mission Accomplished", what have you, you would just say, "too late" or "not enough." There is nothing that could be said that would appease you on this administration.

That was obvious with the Libby thing. Way back, you said that if it were shown that it wasn't direct involvement of the admin., you would say so. (no, I can't find, but we both know, I'll assume you haven't reason to believe I'd make it up), yet you won't. I assume because you just can't. Literally. It wouldn't mean GW is right, just the idea that he didn't do it 'on purpose' is more than you can deal with.

I know how you feel. I felt the same with WJC. The man's existence drove me nuts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    You are correct in that I will not be appeased regarding this administration. They have consistently misled this nation from the day they took office. Before 9/11, Bush was well on his way to becoming a mediocre 1 term president. After 9/11, he had the opportunity to unite this country with the support and goodwill of the rest of the world, and take down Osama bin Laden and his network. Instead of finishing the job and leaving Afghanistan a stable democracy, he and his merry band went haring off into Iraq on some personal vendetta, or to secure Iraqi oil fields, or set up a US hegemony in the region, or some combination of the above.

With the successful invasion, and failing and faltering occupation, of Iraq he and his administration pissed away every last bit of goodwill generated towards the US in the aftermath of 9/11. He has failed to root out Osama bin Laden, thus giving al Qaida a new lease on life. The Bush administration policies in Iraq have failed to set the stage for a stable democracy in that country and left that nations infrastucture at below pre-invasion capacity. War profiteers in Iraq are unchecked, with some $9 billion in US tax-payers money simply disappearing under J. Paul Bremmer's watch alone. We have nearly 2,700 US soldiers killed. more than 20,000 wounded with more than 9,000 of those maimed for life. And for what...? A destabilized region...A further radicalization of Islamic extremists around the world...A quagmire in Iraq...A resurgence of the Taliban in Afghanistan,,,Increased terrorist activity around the region...

If that's how you define success, well, I'm sorry.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Right:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/710goolj.asp