Student suspended for wearing patriotic t-shirt to school

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    BY GINA DAMRON
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060913/NEWS02/609130320

2. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    I guess I am seeing this as a 'no exceptions' issue rather than what the message on the shirt itself was.

their policy is no writing on shirts, except with the school mascot on it-period. Allowing one person to wear something with writing, regardless of what it is, may fuel someone to wear things that are borderline, or downright offensive. Teens will always push the envelope. If they allowed him to wear the shirt, then they would have to allow another kid to be able to wear an anti-America (or whatever) shirt or other item. Result: possible flare-ups and/or fights among students.

There are other ways of remembering 9/11 instead of wearing a shirt with writing, which is directly against school code. They could wear a ribbon pinned to their shirt/bag/hair, or donate to the WTC charites, or whatever.

Personally, it is sad that the schools have to resort to this kind of thing, because parents aren't doing their job in paying attention to what their kids are wearing to school, or not instilling a strong set of values and morals, letting the media and MTV do it. Maybe school uniforms like they have in Australia should be the next step, so that this problem would cease to be one.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Right - It's misleading to say he was suspended 'For wearing a patriotic TShirt'. He was really suspended for violating "Law" of the school.

4. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I believe the parents of this school district should recall the school district superintendents...and fire the idiot teachers who see this as somehow unlawful...and or against policy! our world has somehow become turned up-side down! I have lived with this BS and fought the good fight in my small town...My GD was suspended last year for 3 days when another female student attacked her and she defended herself and put the idiot in the hospital...my GD has a 3.5 gpa and is involved in sports..came in second at the state finals last year in CC...she also has a job and is 'Very Social at school...this leave no student behind BS must go...to remedial school for those students who can't seem to get along...just my thoughts mind ya...but I for one am really tired of this BS!

I was told as well as the GD that she was suspended for "Rules" no matter who the perp was both get suspended...sorry not in my day if a perp attacked ya ya could defend yourself without being punished along with the perp...This makes me sic!

5. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I agree with fuzzykitten99. I think this is a "zero-tolerance" school dress code issue, not anything to worry about as far as anti-Americanism is concerned.

I love the kid's quote, "It just made me so mad that I couldn't be patriotic."

Glad the ACLU is looking into it though.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Break rules, deal with it. Not a problem, IMO.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    True, but I wonder why the standard isn't the same in all schools and for all expressions of ideas?

I think there should be mandatory uniforms or at least dress codes for many reasons. Most girls wear very revealing clothes, and young boys cannot handle seeing that daily.
    When I was in school we could not wear mini-skirts, or halters tops. I see no reason why that can't be enforced.

8. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    100 bucks says:

if a kid shows up wearing a rainbow t-shirt with

"i love my two daddies on it"

they don't get sent home

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I know here in Georgia girls still can't wear mini-skirts or halter or tube tops to school. I was born in the wrong decade.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I agree. It seems more that the school wanted to enforce its rules across the board rather than grant exceptions because of content.

I do want to point out, though, that the ACLU is defending the kid's right to expression....