Iran Arming Taliban

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by onedomino, Jun 12, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    We knew that Iran was delivering EFP to the murder squads in Iraq; an act of war. Now comes a US Undersectretary of State, Nicholas Burns, to say that Iran is giving weapons to the Taliban. The coming conflict with Iran may be a lot closer than people think.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    I doubt this. I do not doubt Iran would do it if it suited their policies, BUT I doubt it because they do not get anything out of it. They were NEVER on good terms with the Taliban and have made efforts to improve relations with the current Government in Afghanistan.

I will need a lot more than this to convince me.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Unless it suits there purposes more to arm our enemies. That's not saying you aren't correct in your assessment, but they have no real dog in the Israel Palestine fight either; yet they openly support Hezbollah.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    What planet do you live on? The Iranian Muslim masters HATE Israel.

5. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I doubt that Burns would say that to the press if there was not some fire behind the smoke. The Persians are not stupid. Yet they have almost zero leverage over the US. They are trying to develop some bargaining chips: the Hezbollah attack on Israel, the EFP, the US hostages currently under arrest, arming the Taliban. The Mullahs worry we will attempt regime change. They worry that we will fund and arm Iranian dissident elements. They worry we will bomb their nuke facilities. They want to exchange their chips for economic concessions, security guarantees, and hands off their nuke weapons program. The tension in this situation continues to build.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It is not just Burns, but also Gates who has said that Iranian weapons are being shipped to the Taliban:

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    And where do you think that puts us, when we funnel billions of tax dollars every year to Israel?

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Besides backing the only stable democracy in the region, why don't you explain where it puts us. Or did you just stop by for a little Israel bashing?

9. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Near as I can tell, the only source for this story are a couple of Bush adminstration officials. No concrete, independently verifiable evidence has been provided.

I simply can't trust what a couple bush adminstration political appointees say...not after WMDs, mushroom clouds, and imminent threat claims of the past few years.

The taliban and Iran are not exactly close friends. They are traditional enemies. Is it possible that iranian weapons are making their way to the taliban? Of course. But (unless we choose to accept the word of a couple Bush political appointees), they could be coming from rogue international arms dealers, rogue elements in iran not affiliated directly with the iranian goverment. Or, they could be coming with the direct support of the iranian goverment. We simply don't know. I would like independent, confirmation of this claim.

10. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,775

It puts us in the spot of being an enemy to most all of the arab world. Didn't think I had to spell it out for you.