Investment inwhich stock???

I recommend a Vanguard no load fund. There are many choices from which to choose based upon your goals and risk profile.
Solid, solid advice. Both Vanguard and Fidelity have many low cost options, and now that many Vanguard funds have lowered Admiral fees to min 10k investment you really can't go wrong.

Forget individual stocks, in fact if you look up statistics on how many active funds manage to beat index funds you might forget actively managed too.

it really all depends on your objective. If you are looking for a soucre of income when you retire Prudential has a nice plan right now. it's set up to provide you a planned stream of income from your investment. if you are willing to leave the money with them for 12 years they will guarantee the amount your income draws from doubles in that period, even if the market it flat. What that means is say you invest $500,000 today and you will pull a 5% annual stream of income from it starting in 12 years or more. they guarantee they will pay you 5 % on $1,000,000 in 5 years, even if the market is flat, drops, whatever.

The HUGE problems with any insurance products(and this is an annuity no matter what they call it)they take 5=7% up front and to have your money locked up for 12 years before you get a penny in return is crazy.You can get 5-6% on your money from day one by purchasing a combination of investment grade and high yield corporate bonds. Now granted picking individual bonds may be intimidating if you don't do your own investing,there is another option.Bond funds with an ACTUAL maturity date.Now bond funds with all your mutual fund co.'s fidelity vanguard etc. don't have a maturity date and now would be a bad time to buy these with interest rates nowhere to go but up.There may be others but the one i'm aware of is Guggenheim investments they are world wide and been around for many years.They have bond funds with ACTUAL maturity dates 3 to 8 eight years and all pay above 5%.Some insurance co. holding my money for 12 years for free that's plain crazy.

Zach, with respect, asking such a critical question on an online message board is probably not the greatest approach.

Find a financial advisor in your area and consider letting them do this. Interview two or three, get referrals (ask your CPA/accountant, for example). They'll be able to look at your big picture (goals, time frame, risk tolerance, balance sheet) and recommend, implement and monitor a clear course of action. They'll make sure that other risks are addressed, such as proper life and disability insurance and long term care coverage. They can also provide you with multiple options so that whatever the plan turns out to be, you understand it and you're comfortable with it. Paying a point or so per year for that advice is most likely worth it.

A pension is far too important to mess with. If you're not absolutely sure what to do, let a pro do it.

Last edited:
Unless you have a decent level of expertise, a lot of time, and can afford to put your money at risk,
I recommend a Vanguard no load fund.

There is absolutely no historcal credible evidence that the "pros" advice is any better than the blind luck.

When you through in the fees they charge almost none of them are worth the investment.

There is absolutely no historcal credible evidence that the "pros" advice is any better than the blind luck.

When you through in the fees they charge almost none of them are worth the investment.

Good point. :thup:
My son started dabbling in penny stocks while in high school (via Scottrade). He got some free trades by referring me. One of my earliest buys was Haliburton, when they were in the throes of the asbestos litigation. Got in low, got out stoned. Er, high. :D

Next was ADM. Handwriting was on the wall there. Mandated ethanol blending was recently enacted. In and out for a tidy profit.

Etc. etc.

1. Get a subscription to Money (buy the Jan/Feb 2013 issue today) and read it cover to cover. Make notes, look up words and terms you don't understand.

2. Always pay yourself first.

3. Diversify.

4. Never buy a time-share.

5. Never buy a condo or any home with an HOA.

6. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

7. Invest weekly, the markets go up and they go down.

8. Don't try to guess the markets.

Between the years 1991 and 2011, the average "active" investor achieved returns of only 3.49% per year, while the S&P 500 returned 7.81% over that same period (DALBAR study).

"Active" investors like to brag about their success, but don't believe it for the most part. Work with someone who actually knows what they're doing. And remember investing's "Odd Lot Theory": Look at what the small investors are doing, and don't do it.

it really all depends on your objective. If you are looking for a soucre of income when you retire Prudential has a nice plan right now. it's set up to provide you a planned stream of income from your investment. if you are willing to leave the money with them for 12 years they will guarantee the amount your income draws from doubles in that period, even if the market it flat. What that means is say you invest $500,000 today and you will pull a 5% annual stream of income from it starting in 12 years or more. they guarantee they will pay you 5 % on $1,000,000 in 5 years, even if the market is flat, drops, whatever.

that sounds like an annuity. what people don't realize is that, in order to get that "guaranteed income," you've basically said goodbye to your principal. there is no principal guarantee.

Where i invest my pension money if i had retirement in next five year?? what you think i invest them in shares or other marketable securities???:confused:

I invest in a mix of Low cost index bond and stock funds. I my opinion that's the best way to do it. If I were telling my family what to do, I would say take 40% in AGG and 60% in DVY. But that depends on your time horizon.

If your time horizon is only 5 years then you should make sure that the duration of your investment is 5 years or less, so maybe just stick to short term bonds of various types?

What is everybody else doing?

Do the opposite.

Might work.

Might not.

Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism.

Normally I say pick stable stocks if your new at this, but you would be hard pressed to earn much in 5 years. More profit= more risk though so make sure that you are fully researching companies.
Gold is generally pretty stable stock, tends to go up when the market goes down, makes it a good investment in times like this.

If you want to invest in the stock market but don't know where to begin with, then learn some great market tips from OTC Bully and trade stocks like a pro

Zack, invest in Family Dollar. They give families a price break and they're not wealthy enough to be the prey of Democrats who want everybody's money.
Family Dollar stock price is at an all time since the late June acquisition/merger with Dollar Tree. It's hard (for me at least) to not believe its stock is not over valued.

Forum List

Back