Invasion anniversary revives China-Japan hatred

ski87

Mar 11, 2010
New Mexico
Amid soaring tensions between Asia's two biggest powers, parochial Chinese TV stations blared anti-Japanese and anti-US sentiments as demonstrators burned pictures of Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.

Chinese authorities tested air raid sirens and there were reports of Chinese citizens in one region stockpiling rice and other goods, apparently in anticipation of a conflict.

Among the tens of thousands of demonstrators to protest in the past eight days in more than 100 cities, some have called for death to Japanese, a nuclear attack on Japan and other violent assaults on the country and its people.

This year's anniversary coincided with the territorial battle over the disputed islands, and yesterday morning saw another stand-off between a Chinese fisheries surveillance vessel and a Japan Coast Guard ship. Later, the first few vessels of what Chinese media claim is a flotilla of 1000 fishing boats were also reported to have arrived in waters off the island chain - known as the Senkakus in Japan and the Diaoyu in China - yesterday. Last night, the Japan Coast Guard said there were 11 Chinese vessels near the islands, which lie between Okinawa and China, but it was unclear whether they were all patrol boats or fishing boats too.

I certainly hope that this all settles down in the interest of regional stability

I doubt it will. While they perceive the US and 'the West' as being focused on the ME, the Chinese are testing to see how far they can get before anyone calls 'em on it......

The Japanese did indeed invade China and murder millions of Chinese civilians - but since WW2 ended, Japan doesn't really have a military any more.

The (South) Koreans do have a military, and a good one - and while they too were abused by the Japanese before and during WW2 ('comfort women'), they were ALSO abused by the Chinese in previous centuries and oh, the Chinese are Communists.

The Koreans will be hard put to decide who to cheer for in a Chinese/Japanese confrontation - but the US should be on the side of the Japanese and that might impel the Koreans to support the US even by aiding the Japanese.

I would disagree - the Japanese have maintained a strong defensive military. They are weak when it comes to retaliation. Any attack on Japan by China would of course have an effect on the large US presence so I don't think this will happen. At the same time, nobody in Japan or China really wants a war - look at statistics about trade between Japan and China. The Japanese certainly can't afford a war economically with their biggest trading partner.

Forum List

Back