Intriguing Murder Story

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
MAYS LANDING — Robert Davies said he thought his life was in danger as he ran down a Margate street in the early morning hours of Aug. 12, 2007. So when the man running behind him touched his shoulder, Davies reacted.

Davies, now 49, took what he said was a pocketknife and stabbed Lavern Paul Ritch once. The blade plunged through the British tourist’s heart, killing him.

“One strike,” Davies told jurors during his opening statement as his murder trial began Wednesday. “One and run.”

Davies said he believed Ritch — a light-skinned black male — was part of a group of Mexican men chasing him.

It was self-defense, he told the jury. It was also a mistake.

North Wildwood man admits to killing of British TV personality, claims it was self-defense - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News: with video of the defendant's opening statment,

I can't post the whole article, but it's a bit complicated. This is how I understand it.

1. "Drunk" makes comment to illegal Mexican in bathroom of the bar. "Illegal Mexican" gets other illegal buddies to go after "drunk" to beat him up.
2. Mexicans go after the "wrong guy."
3. "Wrong guy" gets chased and"innocent British tourist" comes to his aide.
4. "Innocent tourist" gets mistaken for "Illegal Mexican" and is stabbed and killed by "wrong guy."

Now "drunk" may be the "wrong guy" who made the initial comment. He says he's not, but even so, his comment did not warrant a beating. He told the Mexican he did not belong in this country, and the Mexican said “I felt like he was right, I don’t belong in this country,” “But I felt offended.”.

What should be the sentence for "wrong guy"? Should "Illegal Mexican" be charged with anything? Will he and his buddies be jailed or deported? Will the bar be fined for hiring them?

This town had not seen a murder in 50 years. So sad for the innocent tourist.

It gets even more bizarre. Davies is acting as gis own attorney. He refers to himself in the third person during the testimony. He got the Mexican to admit that it was he who set off the entire unfortunate chain of events. But Chavez still insists Davies was the "drunk" who insulted him. The prosecutor says he stabbed the tourist with hate in his heart and not in
self defense.

It was self defense against the wrong man.

Very sad and very complicated. There will be problems as he used lethal force against an "assailant" who was not using lethal force on him. The mexicans it would appear also did not have weapons.

Update: 21 1/2 years. I found the verdict surprising.

Due to his prior record of multiple convictions, a motion made by Assistant Prosecutor Merz to have the defendant sentenced to an extended term of imprisonment was granted.

Superior Court Judge Bernard E. DeLury sentenced Davies to 20 years on the manslaughter charge of which he must serve 85 percent of the prison term or 17 years on that count. That sentence was ordered to run consecutively to an 18-month sentence imposed for possession of a weapon by a convicted person, Assistant Prosecutor Merz said.

N.W. Man Gets 21-1/2 Years Prison for Tourist's Slaying - Cape May County Herald

Update: 21 1/2 years. I found the verdict surprising.

Due to his prior record of multiple convictions, a motion made by Assistant Prosecutor Merz to have the defendant sentenced to an extended term of imprisonment was granted.

Superior Court Judge Bernard E. DeLury sentenced Davies to 20 years on the manslaughter charge of which he must serve 85 percent of the prison term or 17 years on that count. That sentence was ordered to run consecutively to an 18-month sentence imposed for possession of a weapon by a convicted person, Assistant Prosecutor Merz said.

N.W. Man Gets 21-1/2 Years Prison for Tourist's Slaying - Cape May County Herald

Forum List

Back