Intellectual Dishonesty or a Lie

I guess most of you are right. I don't have thick enough skin to be here at usmb.
I like so many of you. Enjoy your posts. Love teasing with you. Admire a lot of folks here. Seeing this thread go the way it is bothers me because I flat don't know what to say. It just makes me really....sad.

Y'all are turning on yourselves and beginning to take bites. Big bites. :(

Oh, boo hoo. Have you seen the disgusting crap that is posted here?

This is civil people having a disagreement slash misunderstanding... No BFD.

People should be held accountable for what they post and get over it...

I guess most of you are right. I don't have thick enough skin to be here at usmb.
I like so many of you. Enjoy your posts. Love teasing with you. Admire a lot of folks here. Seeing this thread go the way it is bothers me because I flat don't know what to say. It just makes me really....sad.

Yeah. I've seen it. Most of it I try to avoid. Then I'm off to do stuff, come back and see people bitchslapping each other over stupid shit. And like I said..it makes me feel bad.
I'll get over it, yes. All in due time. Last I heard, it was permitted to speak ones mind. I did.

Yeah. I've seen it. Most of it I try to avoid. Then I'm off to do stuff, come back and see people bitchslapping each other over stupid shit. And like I said..it makes me feel bad.
I'll get over it, yes. All in due time. Last I heard, it was permitted to speak ones mind. I did.

That's cool. Makes me feel bad too... Not bad enough to not stand up for myself however... :lol:

That's cool. Makes me feel bad too... Not bad enough to not stand up for myself however... :lol:

Agreed.
I don't really match my avi. I think I need to go back to my boid.:lol:

almost everyon of my posts was on topic.

the topic is intellectual dishonesty.

for example this bullet point offered by the OP:

• Accusing another of lying or being dishonest without any ability to defend the accusation.
and this example of intellectual dishonesty used by the OP later:

having a sockpuppet on this board is not allowed. having one is dishonest. using that sockpuppet to neg-rep another poster is a cowardly technique.

foxfyre accuses ravi of doing this, and has no ability to defend this accusation. foxfyre also whines and mauls in the cited paragraph like a little drama-queen.

foxfyre needs to do some soulsearching.

this thread is a big old "tell me i was right, and if you disagree, shut up"- spiel.

in my opinion of course, as i am not able to defend this accusation.

what the fuck was i thinking.

foxfyre "mauls" nothing.

i meant "mewls".

False dichotomy. Mewling and mauling are not mutually exclusive concepts.

you really like derailing threads, sheldon, huh? gives you some sort of perverse pleasure, huh? if that's true, that's pathetic.

the topic is intellectual dishonesty, and examples of it. not flash dickotommies.

i urge all of you intellectuals, and honest posters to stop responding to the poster sheldon.

foxfyre "mauls" nothing.

i meant "mewls".

you really like derailing threads, sheldon, huh? gives you some sort of perverse pleasure, huh? if that's true, that's pathetic.

the topic is intellectual dishonesty, and examples of it. not flash dickotommies.

i urge all of you intellectuals, and honest posters to stop responding to the poster sheldon.

I am both of those, so I will stop.

I will also kowtow to your demands, L.K., as I fear your wrath. In fact, I will henceforth gaze upon Sheldon with only anger and suspicion.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now and trying to figure out if I was right or wrong.

Recently I was criticized for accusing another member of lying. In my opinion, I did not accuse the member of lying. My intent was to say that it was intellectually dishonest to not consider any argument other than the one the member had chosen to believe.

My general definition of intellectual dishonesty is:

• Advocacy for or promotion of a position while intentionally omitting mitigating factors.
  • Refusal to consider another point of view or verifiable facts while stubbornly defending one’s point of view.
  • Extreme partisanship or ideological perspective that assigns positive or negative attributes to a person or group for no reason other than they do not agree.
  • Accusing another of lying or being dishonest without any ability to defend the accusation.
  • Repeating something as truth because you want it to be truth even after it has been shown that a belief is flawed or incorrect.
The person does not intentionally lie and is therefore not a liar. In each case, a person believes or wants something to be a truth so strongly that he or she is unwilling to consider or accept anything that might compromise or weaken what he or she has adopted as truth.

I’m sure others can think of other truths for the definition or some may have a good argument for why some bullet points should not be included.

So what do you think? Is intellectual dishonesty the same thing as lying?

Or is it something else?

It worked for Hitler and Nazi Germany.

"Ah, Maggie, in the world of advertising, there's no such thing as a lie, there's only the expedient exaggeration. You ought to know that!"
-- Cary Grant as Roger Thornhill, protagonist in Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest (1959)

foxfyre "mauls" nothing.

i meant "mewls".

I promise never to respond to Sheldon or any of his sockpuppets or mewl like L.K.Eder.

Forum List

Back