Insurance company executive refers to high-cost patients as ‘dogs.’

Think Progress » Insurance company executive refers to high-cost patients as ‘dogs.’

In the state of New York, insurers are legally prohibited from discriminating against individuals who submit large claims. So when Guardian, a major insurance company, was faced with the high-cost claims of 37 year-old muscular dystrophy patient Ian Pearl, it decided to cancel its entire line of coverage in the state of New York rather than pay for Pearl’s claims. In an e-mail obtained by The Washington Times, it was revealed that one executive at the company refers to patients like Pearl as “dogs” that the company can simply “get rid of”:

In an e-mail, one Guardian Life Insurance Co. executive called high-cost patients such as Mr. Pearl “dogs” that the company could “get rid of.”

A federal court quickly ruled that the company’s actions were legal, so on Dec. 1, barring an order by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Mr. Pearl will lose his benefits.

The cost of Pearl’s annual treatment is approximately $1 million a year. The Pearl family is unable to receive the quality health care that Ian needs. “One-on-one skilled nursing is essential,” Mrs. Pearl said.

$1 million a year for treatment would be rationed in a country with socialized medicine. They simply could not afford it for one person.

Which is why they cut off anyone with even a mild case of this illness.

If insurance is only for people NOT sick and who DON'T get sick, then why is it called "insurance"?

How can Republicans defend this? How is it possible?

Insurer ends health program rather than pay out big

William Ehart

Ian Pearl has fought for his life every day of his 37 years. Confined to a wheelchair and hooked to a breathing tube, the muscular dystrophy victim refuses to give up.

But his insurance company already has.

Legally barred from discriminating against individuals who submit large claims, the New York-based insurer simply canceled lines of coverage altogether in entire states to avoid paying high-cost claims like Mr. Pearl's.

In an e-mail, one Guardian Life Insurance Co. executive called high-cost patients such as Mr. Pearl "dogs" that the company could "get rid of."

A federal court quickly ruled that the company's actions were legal, so on Dec. 1, barring an order by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Mr. Pearl will lose his benefits.
Insurer ends health program rather than pay out big - Washington Times

The thought that anyone could defend these bastards is stunning.

no what is stunning is your failure to realize it will happen that way a thousand fold under obamacare, 500 billion dollars cut from medicare adds up to a lot of dead people.

I don't see many opposing government run health care on the basis of protecting the insurance companies. If they do, they are fools. The system is broke and needs change.

However, I do see people like myself opposing the current proposals for other reasons. Such as rising costs overall to every taxpayer, rising deficits and debt, inefficiency of government, cuts in medicare/medicaid (which won't reduce service? Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining), limiting of choice an individual has over his/her care.....just to name a few.

Think Progress » Insurance company executive refers to high-cost patients as ‘dogs.’

In the state of New York, insurers are legally prohibited from discriminating against individuals who submit large claims. So when Guardian, a major insurance company, was faced with the high-cost claims of 37 year-old muscular dystrophy patient Ian Pearl, it decided to cancel its entire line of coverage in the state of New York rather than pay for Pearl’s claims. In an e-mail obtained by The Washington Times, it was revealed that one executive at the company refers to patients like Pearl as “dogs” that the company can simply “get rid of”:

In an e-mail, one Guardian Life Insurance Co. executive called high-cost patients such as Mr. Pearl “dogs” that the company could “get rid of.”

A federal court quickly ruled that the company’s actions were legal, so on Dec. 1, barring an order by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Mr. Pearl will lose his benefits.

The cost of Pearl’s annual treatment is approximately $1 million a year. The Pearl family is unable to receive the quality health care that Ian needs. “One-on-one skilled nursing is essential,” Mrs. Pearl said.

Mmm, it's a good thing that the Republicans and some Democrats are protecting such businesses like Guardian Life Insurance Co. and keeping those dogs down. Goodness knows what would happen to the bottom lines if the insurance companies actually had to do what they're paid for. That would be actually doing their job, now what kind of standard would that set?

Hooray for Republicans and some Democrats and their preventing of any real fixing in Health Care! Hooray for Republicans and some Democrats just looking out for Big Businesses with wanting Tort Reform! Hooray for Republicans and some Democrats wanting to offer tax credits to the poor who have no money to tax in the first place, genius idea!

Let's all give them a round of applause. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
--------

Now back in reality, WHAT THE FUCK. Seriously? Is this what we have come to? These companies see us as dogs and some of you people want to protect them? You can feel free to be their bitches but I'll settle for not such bullshit.

That executive deserves to be fired and this company should not be legally allowed to do this to this poor man.

My understanding is that only people that cost way too much money are seen as dogs.

Anyways, why should healthy people pay extra money to cover that 1 million dollar the guy is costing?

Which is why they cut off anyone with even a mild case of this illness.

If insurance is only for people NOT sick and who DON'T get sick, then why is it called "insurance"?

How can Republicans defend this? How is it possible?

Insurance originated for ships in England - it was a way of limiting risk; pay a premium and receive compensation if a ship is lost. A specialized branch of mathematics, Actuarial Science, evolved along the way from there to here. It is a very difficult field, if not on par with four space tensor fields, then still far more difficult than most can readily manage. A skilled actuary can, given data on local laws and other relevant facts, compute the cost of issuing a certain type of coverage for given demographics in a given region with a great deal of accuracy.
Health insurance is also a way of limiting risk, but chronic incurable conditions with large treatment costs have a disproportionate impact on the cost of issuing health insurance. An established company with established clientele is extremely susceptible to a new competitor who comes in with offers of lower premiums as they can turn away anyone who has existing expensive conditions. As the healthier clients are siphoned off by the competitor, perhaps by having an industrial spy feed names to them so they can target "profitable" clients from the established company, the company enters a downward spiral. With a smaller client base they are forced to raise rates, which drives the healthy clients to other companies, which forces them to raise rates again in a vicious cycle with bankruptcy at the end. If the government requires them to have "fixed" rates they are in serious trouble from the word go.

In a free society, any company can decide to stop doing business if they are not making enough profits. That an insurance company decides to stop doing business for lack of profits is no different from a ballet company canceling performances for lack of ticket sales. The most that can be requires is a refund of unused premiums/tickets.

My best guess on the use of the term dog is a politically incorrect fool who obtained a position from nepotism (big brother in law is on the board of directors by virtue of being wealthy enough to buy a big chunk of stock or some such) and proceeded to send out all sorts of stupid missives. But that is just a guess about the term; for all I know it could be industry jargon for someone who "chews up" funds.

The thought that a federal court could rule that this is legal is more surprising to me than the insurance companies trying to get out of paying.

its not a matter of defending them as it is you wont see the government spending $1 mil a year for someone to stay alive
you think this is bad, just wait till you have government bureaucrats running it

Those who benefit from Medicare/Medicaid and the VA seem on the whole to be pleased with their coverage.

Notice that the problem here stems from government regulation, which forces the insurance companies to do things that aren't profitable. The result of well-intentioned legislation is that now everyone suffers. This is typical for gov't programs, the law of unintended consequences. And passing a $2T bill is going to help this how??

Notice that the problem here stems from government regulation, which forces the insurance companies to do things that aren't profitable. The result of well-intentioned legislation is that now everyone suffers. This is typical for gov't programs, the law of unintended consequences. And passing a $2T bill is going to help this how??

You mean things like pay up on an obligation?

You mean things like pay up on an obligation?

No. Read the article, dumshit.

Which is why there should be a public options for the people that don't want to deal with the law of unintended consequences.

$1 million a year for treatment would be rationed in a country with socialized medicine. They simply could not afford it for one person.

CAN YOU SAY STEPHEN HAWKING????? Who has had NH in the UK and the freedom to buy a supplement?

Basic care from the public option and then the companies are free to compete for the "supplemental" business, kinda like Medicare and then in comes MEDI-GAP, who KNOW the clientele is older, frailer, and so on and so on and so on! Funny how competing for scraps after Medicare has not bothered the insurance companies very much!

Which is why there should be a public options for the people that don't want to deal with the law of unintended consequences.

What makes you think the very existence of a "pubic option" would not engender unintended consequences??

Yeah, and the solution Obama is offering: Moving from a 95% Government controlled Health-Care System to a 100% Government controlled Health-Care System.
Change is a real bitch.

95 % goverment controlled? Health Insurance companies are exempt from the same laws that most other industries must adhere too.

It's controlled in the interests of the Insurance Companies and the Pharmecutical Agencies... but it's still controlled. A real free market wouldn't allow for this shit. An insurance company calls their customers "dogs", they'll be out of business before tomorrow morning.

CAN YOU SAY STEPHEN HAWKING????? Who has had NH in the UK and the freedom to buy a supplement?

Basic care from the public option and then the companies are free to compete for the "supplemental" business, kinda like Medicare and then in comes MEDI-GAP, who KNOW the clientele is older, frailer, and so on and so on and so on! Funny how competing for scraps after Medicare has not bothered the insurance companies very much!

Can you advise where you got that bit of information about Hawking from? Specifically the bit about him getting NHS treatment while buying a supplement.

I was under the impression that while he had originally been treated free on the NHS, all additional/supplemental costs are met by Cambridge University. If he has been able to purchase supplemental treatment without it impacting his receipt of free care from the NHS I would be surprised, as that would seem to imply that there is a worrying double standard.

My impression may be incorrect, so I'd be interested to know the source of your information.

What makes you think the very existence of a "pubic option" would not engender unintended consequences??

Great question, but I know what the private option's law of unintended consequences is like, and I will take my chances with the public option thank you very much.

Great question, but I know what the private option's law of unintended consequences is like, and I will take my chances with the public option thank you very much.

There is no "private option." It is called a "market."
And better the devil you know than the devil you dont.

Forum List

Back