Instant-Pot Electric Pressure Cooker:

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I just bought one of these gadgets and I plan to make a pot roast with it soon.

Any suggestions?

Anyone else have one of these cookers? Do they produce better results than the ordinary cooking method?

Any suggestions?

Anyone else have one of these cookers? Do they produce better results than the ordinary cooking method?

I've tried them. Daughter left one here from College. Nobody should be in a hurry to cook a pot roast. Works fine if you just sear it and put plenty of liquids in a normal pot. But I GUESS -- the pressure feature does kinda guarantee that it gets tender the same way everytime. It's that fear and uncertainty that I crave in the kitchen.. :biggrin:

I've tried them. Daughter left one here from College. Nobody should be in a hurry to cook a pot roast. Works fine if you just sear it and put plenty of liquids in a normal pot. But I GUESS -- the pressure feature does kinda guarantee that it gets tender the same way everytime. It's that fear and uncertainty that I crave in the kitchen.. :biggrin:
I'd say your guess is right on.

I did a four pound chuck roast in the regular way some time ago and after several hours in the oven the meat was tough. I really don't know if this could be avoided by using a slow-cooker but all the Instant Pot recipe videos I've seen on YouTube seem to insist that a pressure cooker is the way to go.

Besides, I'm a guy so the gadget appeal has a lot to do with selling me on this exotic gadget with all it's buttons and lights. Also, the idea of having just one stainless steel pot to clean is appealing.

So, we'll see.

I'd say your guess is right on.

I did a four pound chuck roast in the regular way some time ago and after several hours in the oven the meat was tough. I really don't know if this could be avoided by using a slow-cooker but all the Instant Pot recipe videos I've seen on YouTube seem to insist that a pressure cooker is the way to go.

Besides, I'm a guy so the gadget appeal has a lot to do with selling me on this exotic gadget with all it's buttons and lights. Also, the idea of having just one stainless steel pot to clean is appealing.

So, we'll see.

It can turn into a disaster in the oven if you don't get enough steam going. That's what breaks it down. Basically a similar cut to corned beef and have to boil that to get it tender.

Hopefully the water well-covers it because you'll lose some.

I use a pressure cooker all the time.

Now you got me wanting to buy some beef and a bag of potatoes.

Any suggestions?

Best Kitchen product purchase I've ever made was a pressure cooker.
First make sure to seer mode the meat with preferred seasoning and flavoring( like Whisteshire sauce & dab of hoison sauce) before pressure cooking, helps add flavor.
Experiment with seasoning and combinations of cooking gravy powder packets. Carrots taste great added, but use the process to also do fresh corn.
I like making barbeque beef (water required for pressure cooker, ketchup,
Baby-Rays Barbeque sauce, tablespoon or 2
of apple cider vinegar, for pulled beef sandwiches or a special combination of
barbeque beef and colby jack cheddar blend melted cheese over
Wide noodles or rice. Something about the taste of the tangy pulled beef just goes well with the textures and taste of the cheese over either noodle or rice.
ALSO the pulled string beef can be added to hamburgers, especially when you get those crisped edges while frying it with the burger.
Stringed beef can also be used for tortillas or Nachos with cumin and salsa or taco sauce added for adjusting the flavoring.

You can make string shredded chicken in tortilla for borittos or chimichangas(refried beans, spanish rice,shredded chicken, fiesta blend cheese rolled into a buritto and fried.
Topped with tomatoes sour cream and Guacamole or just dip Chimichanga in
chili con queso.

Last edited:
BTW -- still should rub spice and braise it before going into the fancy man gadget !! That's TWO pots to clean.. So sad.. :badgrin:
You're right. I plan to rub it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (I'm planning this operation which will take place tomorrow or Sunday.)

A pressure cooker would worry me.

[...]
Why?
I don't ...the pressure?
Based on all I've read and heard pressure-cooker explosions are something that happened during the earliest stage of their development but are unheard of today because of built-in safety features.
Mankind manufactures products and products can fail. To me it's an unnecessary risk, if I needed one I'd take the risk.

Let us know the results, I'm into the slow cooker. You can leave when its cooking.

Slow cooking feature on the pressure cooker usually makes for more intensified flavors because the juices condense as it cooks in it's own fat,
while pressure cooking requires more water and dilutes those flavors.
Either way, make sure you brown the meat first, butter and a little brown sugar help do that with every type of meat. Most Pressure cookers have a browning feature so you don't have to use a seperate skillet.

I see they have nice pressure cookers now, electric ones with shut off settings.

Forum List

Back