Inhuman intrest

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by ErikViking, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    heard on the radio today that ground research had come to the conclusion that a certain gene is isolated and that it is responsible for obesity. Well fine.

Ground research takes no actions about its findings.

But. Obesity is classified as a disease now a days. If a gene is found to be the problem, obesity is going to be treated a genetic disorder.

A "cure" will be developed. (Natural selection has been out for thast 200 years - natures way of correcting genetic disorders)

Got me thinking.

It took a couple of hundredthousands of years to develop this obesity-gene. It has a purpose and it is probably a very nice gene to have if you don't live in a modern city.

By "curing" this we will reverse evolution, making mankind just a bit less adapted to life as human on earth. Except - if we always have our cities and overproduction of food.

What do you think?

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I think you've just pointed out the beginnings of a nightmare Erik.

3. Ruby

Ruby Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I also think much of our obesity problems can be "cured" by eating right, not overeating and by exercize. Even though some people gain more easily than others dosent mean that it cant be managed through good ol fashioned healthy lifestyle.

I think interferring on a genetic level with such a thing or trying to come up with some magic pill has some very problematic potential.

Our ability to store fat does indeed have a purpose...its our overeating, unhealthy eating habits and not enough exercize thats usually the problem.

4. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I seriously hope not...!

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    People will find excuses for anything. Nothing is anyone’s fault any more. Arson has become a disease called pyromania. Theft is called kleptomania. Now a gene is making people fat. I don’t buy it. As my father told me, there were no fat people in concentration camps. If you want to lose weight, then eat less and exercise more.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Reasons aren't excuses.

Arson is committed for various reasons. Greed is one reason. Boredom is another reason. Vengeance is another. Sexual gratification is yet another. I've seen examples of each.

Theft is committed for various reasons. See above.

As for no fat people in concentration camps. Perhaps the guards. But with due respect to your dad, that's a pretty fallacious argument. Genes have an effect on normal bodies, not bodies on the edge of death all the time.

7. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I agree with you in one way:
    Some people would use a discovery like this to excuse their situation. But they have a certain point to it too.

While eating less and excersice more is a sound treatment (sound way of life too) it appearently do not work. Some can be fine by that, thinking that those persons are lazy and stupid. In a way ofcourse they are.

They are lazy and stupid as we all are - this gene might have less to do with that - rather it is targeting metabolism.

Knowing this and the extent of the problem it is equally right to say that modern life, as we have evolved our society, is dangerous - bad - to a large portion of the people. It is not their fault.

We should start thinking. Nature will by itself select genetic material for survival no matter what we do. We all have a responsability beyond personal scope to humanity.

Nutrition and exercise is probably the best solution though - they need help with that - our society doesn't make it natural for them. Obviously.

8. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Yeah. Perhaps some people’s genetic make up makes it a little bit more difficult for them to lose weight but they can lose weight. If you eat very little, drink plenty of water, consume plenty of vitamins, exercise, and jog, you will lose weight.

9. ErikViking

ErikViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    No doubt about that.

My main worry is that obesity will be "treaded" and human gene pool gets degenerated.

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well first let me assure you that this specific gene isn't the sole cause of obesity worldwide. In all probability it's just one, probably large, genetic factor among many, many others. By "correcting" or removing this gene you aren't so much ending fatness as minimizing the risk that that particular gene promotes.