• Yes

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but it should be limited/taxed

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My husband and I are self-made. From working two jobs, to savings, to investments... It has all been for the benefit of our children. I'll be damned if someone comes along and says TFB. If and when that happens, we will spend every fucking dime before we go. Let's see how the govt feels about confiscating the gold plated urinals in our concrete yacht.

The estate tax should be called the patriot tax. We live in America where we are suppose to value hard work and ingenuity, yet Republicans do not value these principles. Instead, they value the idea of perpetual wealth and dynasties.

These types of people would make King George proud.

So, how much of your estate are you going to leave to the government?

The money belonged to the who died-I think we can all agree on that.

as long as the person has earned that through merit to society, of course. But MERIT IS NOT HEREDITARY! That is the one MOST BASIC principal that this country was founded upon

Please elaborate on just what you mean by "merit to society," if you will.

Last edited:
I don't see the argument for giving anything back to the government when taxes have already been paid.

Ever witnessed Caroline Kennedy?

CarolineKennedy.jpg

Can you honestly tell me she merits the wealth she has?

why does she have to "merit it" are you making up the rules as you play the game? I hate that shit. You don't meriti it either,, and neither does Uncle Sam.. so,, you can take "merit" and push it way up where the moon don't shine.

Yup.

Money isn't "on loan" to the people who earn it. It's theirs to do what they please with.

And that includes leaving it to their kids. There's no other reason to earn money.

Right now the top 2% or 3% of incomes own 90% of everything. The rest of us are peons. The basic question is, does the government protect and promote a middle-class, or protect the super-rich? Didn't someone say "let them eat cake" when the citizenry had enough poverty?

You may well consider yourself a peon, but I certainly don't consider myself one. That top 2% or 3% also pays 90% of all income taxes. Is there some other country that you feel is a better place to live? Move there.

The government doesn't protect and promote any class.

It protects the rights of individuals to advance themselves.

The government has things like "protected classes", "a progressive tax system", and student loans and other entitlements intended to help the poor.
The wealthy bribe the pols and don't need any help. They are getting richer as the rest of us are getting poorer.

Well, stop doing the things that make you poor.

Wow, so the gov't can do ANYTHING it wants with any US ctizen's property? Where the hell does it say THAT in the Constitution? Sounds like total communism to me. No individual property rights at all, the day we get to that point is the day liberty and freedom die.
Where in the Constitution does it say the IRS can hand you a bill that you'd better pay, or else?

It doesn't say that in so many words. But exactly that intention is derived from interpretation of such components as the General Welfare clause, which is saying whatever is best for the majority and the general health of the Nation is what we're gonna do! So if you manage to accumulate enough wealth to qualify you as a de facto aristocrat I remind you that Americans in the essential meaning of the designation are innately hostile to aristocracy and all it stands for.

[You show me where - in the Constitution - the founders gave 'We, the People' the right to rob others of their money.

Fuck off. You don't get what is mine - whether I earned it or whether I inherit it. You can die in a ditch for all I care. You will not steal from me or mine. Get your own you lazy assed liberal.
You might wish to put that argument to the Internal Revenue Service. And please let me know how you make out.

We all know what the reputation of the IRS is, don't we? Just because they have too much power over all of us doesn't make them right, and here's hoping they will cease to exist in the near future ... cheers!

By the way, have you tried Preparation-H? I've heard it's pretty good.

Why were you discussing hemorrhoid medicine with your friends? Is it a problem for you?

as long as the person has earned that through merit to society, of course. But MERIT IS NOT HEREDITARY! That is the one MOST BASIC principal that this country was founded upon

The utility that one provides in order to receive reward

That is still somewhat nebulous, old sport, but I am going to assume you mean 'utility that one provides' to other people, correct? And by 'reward,' I guess you are referring to the priviledge of not going to prison?

Last edited:

So you're saying that the Government (or 'we, the people') should 'reward' our fellow Americans by allowing them to decide who gets to have the wealth that they accumulated. Fuck off to some other country where that works. This country wasn't founded that way.

Greedy, lazy fucking assholes always trying to take from others.

Wow, so the gov't can do ANYTHING it wants with any US ctizen's property? Where the hell does it say THAT in the Constitution? Sounds like total communism to me. No individual property rights at all, the day we get to that point is the day liberty and freedom die.
Where in the Constitution does it say the IRS can hand you a bill that you'd better pay, or else?

It doesn't say that in so many words. But exactly that intention is derived from interpretation of such components as the General Welfare clause, which is saying whatever is best for the majority and the general health of the Nation is what we're gonna do! So if you manage to accumulate enough wealth to qualify you as a de facto aristocrat I remind you that Americans in the essential meaning of the designation are innately hostile to aristocracy and all it stands for.

Well, that explains why so many of the working class have enmity toward their employers - success envy !

So you're saying that the Government (or 'we, the people') should 'reward' our fellow Americans by allowing them to decide who gets to have the wealth that they accumulated. Fuck off to some other country where that works. This country wasn't founded that way.

Greedy, lazy fucking assholes always trying to take from others.

I am talking about how markets work in aggregate. When we provide a good or service that society demands by their willingness to pay, that is (at least economically speaking) considered merit. By this "spontaneous order" that markets provide (with exception to the cronyism that never fails to infest part of the marketplace to the detriment of society) what we say that a person has merited what they receive from markets as its reward. basic economics here :eusa_eh:

In a merit-based society, is their any justification for wealth being passed down generationally. And, if so, is there any limit to such justification?

Just askin'

Given the argument then a child should not benefit from any wealth one he or she reaches adulthood right? So in essence the government should swoop in and not allow a child to benefit from any of Mom or Dads wealth past 18 or so right? What would the difference be if Caroline Kennedy got that money when she was 18 or 40 and she had exhibited no ‘merit’ for such? Do we assure Mom and Dad do not help a child until she or he has merited such? And who decided if they do merit such or not?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back