Inherited wealth. Any justification?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Agit8r, Apr 17, 2011.

?

Should inherited wealth exist?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2011.
  1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. Yes, but it should be limited/taxed

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    In a merit-based society, is their any justification for wealth being passed down generationally. And, if so, is there any limit to such justification?

Just askin'

2. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    I don't see the argument for giving anything back to the government when taxes have already been paid.

3. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,266
    No problem with inheriting wealth

The problem comes when you are born on third base and you act like you hit a triple

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Seems to me the Federal government has already limited it, ensuring they get their dirty little fingers in the pie.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Back to the government? Did other people's money once belong to the Government? No.

Who inherits what from whom is absolutely no one else's business... including the Government... and damned jealous, petty, greedy people.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  6. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    Ever witnessed Caroline Kennedy?

[​IMG]

Can you honestly tell me she merits the wealth she has?

7. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Wealth is personal private property obtained by legal means and should absolutely be inheritable to whomever the owner deems their benefactor and only subject to minimal tax at best. Government confiscation would be downright outlandish.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  8. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    I think you misunderstood. My point was the same as yours. If my family leaves me their estate after they have paid for it and have been taxed, then I shouldn't have to be taxed again for inheriting what they have already paid for.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,693

Indeed. And as to who the wealthy are, most are Self Made. Punishing their success, and frugality (most live well below their means), is corrupt.

Want to be a millionaire? Don't overspend and use debt wisely.

We all may not be millionaires but there are plenty of financial and life-planning secrets we can learn from the well-heeled.

Most people know that wealth in the U.S. is in the hands of a small percentage of the total population. And, today, most of those folks with a net worth of $1 million or more have earned it themselves.

They're mostly entrepreneurs who create everything from high-speed networks to garbage haulers. They dig ditches and build houses and grow corn and make jewelry. They deal stamps or coins or artwork and control pests and cut lawns. They also cure people and give them new teeth. Others will defend their neighbors or even feed them.

And they're not big spenders. In fact, most of those with big bucks live well under their means -- think about Warren Buffett still living in that modest Omaha home -- and they put their money instead toward investments that help them stockpile more wealth.

"Wealth is what you accumulate, not what you spend," according to Thomas Stanley and William Danko, the authors of the seminal tome on America's wealthy "The Millionaire Next Door," first published in 1996.

"It is seldom luck or inheritance or advanced degrees or even intelligence that enables people to amass fortunes," the authors wrote. "Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline."

Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit

10. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

The "merit" is the private ownership of wealth which should not be subject to government confiscation. Working hard so your children and grandchildren can afford a better education and lead a better life is the American dream...