INFRASTRUCTURE - Part 2 - California Catastrophe

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
The worst infrastructure disaster in America is looming in the delta of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, about 70 miles northeast of San Francisco. In this area, rich farmlands are protected by hundreds of miles of simple dirt levees. If/whenever an earthquake were to wipe the levees out , the agricultural lands they protect will flood, triggering a chain of events that would pull salt water from the Bay area into the delta, and contaminate the drinking water supply for half the population of California. And the ramification of that ? According to University of California Geologist, Jeffery Mount, it is shutting off the water supply for 25 million people for 2-3 years.

And the culprit ? Same old one > INFRASTRUCTURE. The levees around the delta farmlands were built by farmers 150 years ago. They built the levees on poor foundations, mostly sand and lightweight peat, which deforms easily under pressure. The foundations are so porous and leak so much that most of the delta islands would fill up with water in 3 months, if they weren't continually pumped out. Making this worse, over time, the islands have sunk, and are below the water line by about 25 feet. So the levees are holding back water ALL the time, and have to be very strong for that daunting task - but they're not.

The levees are :
1. on bad foundations
2. poorly constructed
3. working 365 days/year
Thus, it will be no surprise when they fail. Not if, but when.

The delta streams provide 1/2 the drinking water of California, from San Francisco to Los Angeles. They flow into a massive reservoir 89 miles southeast of San Francisco called the Clifton Forebay. According to Doug Thompson of the California Dept.of Water Resources, if it wasn't for this system, California would be "dry down south".

The water is pumped into a 440 mile long series of aqueducts delivering to southern California, its drinking water. This whole fragile system would be pretty secure if it wasn't for one thing > Earthquakes. Something that happens a lot in California, Trust me, they happen a lot. I lived there for 12 years, and I've been through my share of them. In fact they are actually occuring all the time, except that almost all of them are too small to be significantly measurable, or cause damage.

A quake that is large and near the delta though, would knock out the delta levees and pull salt water from San Francisco Bay to the Clifton Forebay (California's water supply). Here's the likely scenario. A 6.7 quake with an epicenter close to the delta occurs. The levee foundations turn to mush creating sinkholes, collapsing the levees. The sunken island farmlands are turned into salty seas, after a few days. The islands flooding is so powerful, it pulls 300 Billion gallons of salt water inland, all the way to Clifton Forebay, which then has to close its gates, to prevent contamination of the reservoir.

California would have to ration the water in the Forebay, but it would run out in about 6 months, and it would take 2-3 years for the delta to return to normal (assuming perfect conditions that whole time, ie. no earthquakes). Bay area experts say there's a 66% chance that a 6.7 earthquake or a large flood will take down the levees some time over the next 30 years. The 1989 (world series) quake (6.9) just missed. It was centered in Boulder Creek , CA, about 120 miles southwest of the delta.

COST to fix ? Authorities estimate it will take $25-40 Million per square mile to quake-proof the delta levees. Money that California does not have. It would have to come from the federal government. So what is California doing about this catastrophe waiting to happen ? They have been shoring up the levees with sloping and adding rocks, but those treatments are like giving aspirins to a cancer victim. Bottom line is California has no plan for dealing with this catastrophic threat.

Who cares we need to spent untold amounts of money to make sure that the 30 million Americans that don't have health insurance still don't have health insurance 10 years from now.

California has hundreds of fault lines. Think of each of them as being a dotted line with a "tear here" label. Of course nobody gets to choose but, if it were possible, I wonder which one might best improve America by its use.

We did build over a $200 Billion in Green Energy/Renewable Energy projects plus we have a half-high speed rail to Modesto being built for another $100 Billion so I think we will be fine.

The worst infrastructure disaster in America is looming in the delta of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, about 70 miles northeast of San Francisco. In this area, rich farmlands are protected by hundreds of miles of simple dirt levees. If/whenever an earthquake were to wipe the levees out , the agricultural lands they protect will flood, triggering a chain of events that would pull salt water from the Bay area into the delta, and contaminate the drinking water supply for half the population of California. And the ramification of that ? According to University of California Geologist, Jeffery Mount, it is shutting off the water supply for 25 million people for 2-3 years.

And the culprit ? Same old one > INFRASTRUCTURE. The levees around the delta farmlands were built by farmers 150 years ago. They built the levees on poor foundations, mostly sand and lightweight peat, which deforms easily under pressure. The foundations are so porous and leak so much that most of the delta islands would fill up with water in 3 months, if they weren't continually pumped out. Making this worse, over time, the islands have sunk, and are below the water line by about 25 feet. So the levees are holding back water ALL the time, and have to be very strong for that daunting task - but they're not.

The levees are :
1. on bad foundations
2. poorly constructed
3. working 365 days/year

The delta streams provide 1/2 the drinking water of California, from San Francisco to Los Angeles. They flow into a massive reservoir 89 miles southeast of San Francisco called the Clifton Forebay. According to Doug Thompson of the California Dept.of Water Resources, if it wasn't for this system, California would be "dry down south".

The water is pumped into a 440 mile long series of aqueducts delivering to southern California, its drinking water. This whole fragile system would be pretty secure if it wasn't for one thing > Earthquakes. Something that happens a lot in California, Trust me, they happen a lot. I lived there for 12 years, and I've been through my share of them. In fact they are actually occuring all the time, except that almost all of them are too small to be significantly measurable, or cause damage.

A quake that is large and near the delta though, would knock out the delta levees and pull salt water from San Francisco Bay to the Clifton Forebay (California's water supply). Here's the likely scenario. A 6.7 quake with an epicenter close to the delta occurs. The levee foundations turn to mush creating sinkholes, collapsing the levees. The sunken island farmlands are turned into salty seas, after a few days. The islands flooding is so powerful, it pulls 300 Billion gallons of salt water inland, all the way to Clifton Forebay, which then has to close its gates, to prevent contamination of the reservoir.

California would have to ration the water in the Forebay, but it would run out in about 6 months, and it would take 2-3 years for the delta to return to normal (assuming perfect conditions that whole time, ie. no earthquakes). Bay area experts say there's a 66% chance that a 6.7 earthquake or a large flood will take down the levees some time over the next 30 years. The 1989 (world series) quake (6.9) just missed. It was centered in Boulder Creek , CA, about 120 miles southwest of the delta.

COST to fix ? Authorities estimate it will take $25-40 Million per square mile to quake-proof the delta levees. Money that California does not have. It would have to come from the federal government. So what is California doing about this catastrophe waiting to happen ? They have been shoring up the levees with sloping and adding rocks, but those treatments are like giving aspirins to a cancer victim. Bottom line is California has no plan for dealing with this catastrophic threat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifton_Court_Forebay
In popular culture
A documentary about the decline of the United States' infrastructure, The Crumbling of America,[4] was commissioned by the U.S. A&E network in the late 2000s. The documentary is typically shown on the History television channel in the United States, although other educational broadcasters globally have shown it. It features the Clifton Court Forebay as a "strategic piece of California freshwater infrastructure" subject to shutdown for up to two years if struck by an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 or greater.

Looking at a good map of the Forebay, I see no levies between the reservoir and the ocean. You will have to explain to me how the failure of levies elsewhere will draw ocean water into Clifton Court Forebay.

We did build over a $200 Billion in Green Energy/Renewable Energy projects plus we have a half-high speed rail to Modesto being built for another $100 Billion so I think we will be fine.

Is that mind-boggling serious talk, or a humungeous JOKE in sarcasm form ? :confused:

Is that mind-boggling serious talk, or a humungeous JOKE in sarcasm form ? :confused:

Oh, it verily reeks of sarcasm.

We spent over $200 Billion on Green Energy/Renewable Energy and now we are building a $100 Billion train to Modesto.

We spent over $200 Billion on Green Energy/Renewable Energy and now we are building a $100 Billion train to Modesto.

And what does either of those things have to do with the catastrophe outlined in the OP ?

And what does either of those things have to do with the catastrophe outlined in the OP ?

There was no Catastrophe as outlined in the OP, period. Not sure what you read but there was no Catastrophe so I can see how you may be confused.

The question is of money being spent on Levees.

I have showed that California is spending its borrowed money on everything but what we really need.

Sorry I did not connect the dots for you to understand, further I hope you come to realize the Catastrophe you speak of is imagined. Not real.

The cost of rebuilding water transport might just be the kick in the ass that California needs to build
desalinization plants for SoCal.. Actually the SMARTEST use for all that solar and wind power.. They could disassemble Altamonte Pass and move it to Venice Beach.. Would go real well with all the general weirdness there..

Much better solution than quake proofing 100s of miles of concrete... All they would have to do start tomorrow is to cancel the Choo Choo to Nowhere and steal the Fed funds for a better project..

There was no Catastrophe as outlined in the OP, period. Not sure what you read but there was no Catastrophe so I can see how you may be confused.

I have showed that California is spending its borrowed money on everything but what we really need.

Sorry I did not connect the dots for you to understand, further I hope you come to realize the Catastrophe you speak of is imagined. Not real.

I don't understand how you can arrive at the conclusion that the catastrophe is "imagined". Are you in denial or something ? Do you not call the evacuation of 20 million people a catastrophe ? I, and millions of other people sure do. But you know what ? I don't live in California (anymore). So, > Not my problem.

For anyone in Southern California read > DELTA LEVEES ARE A MAJOR CONCERN and the PPIC Report

Aquafornia

The levees are :
1. on bad foundations
2. poorly constructed
3. working 365 days/year

In popular culture
A documentary about the decline of the United States' infrastructure, The Crumbling of America,[4] was commissioned by the U.S. A&E network in the late 2000s. The documentary is typically shown on the History television channel in the United States, although other educational broadcasters globally have shown it. It features the Clifton Court Forebay as a "strategic piece of California freshwater infrastructure" subject to shutdown for up to two years if struck by an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 or greater.

Looking at a good map of the Forebay, I see no levies between the reservoir and the ocean. You will have to explain to me how the failure of levies elsewhere will draw ocean water into Clifton Court Forebay.

For now, try this >> Aquafornia

The levees are :
1. on bad foundations
2. poorly constructed
3. working 365 days/year

In popular culture

No one is going to do anything about the levee's until they fail. California simply doesn't have the money to deal with it. The Feds don't either. I personally think they will do Ok for the next 15 years or so with temporary patches and the work the farmers do to them.
But, when the next atmospheric river comes along, the Central Valley will once again be a very large lake.

I don't understand how you can arrive at the conclusion that the catastrophe is "imagined". Are you in denial or something ? Do you not call the evacuation of 20 million people a catastrophe ? I, and millions of other people sure do. But you know what ? I don't live in California (anymore). So, > Not my problem.

For anyone in Southern California read > DELTA LEVEES ARE A MAJOR CONCERN and the PPIC Report

Aquafornia

You and millions others? Right,

There is not even that many people in the flood plain of the delta.

But hell, why do you not give some more money to the Scientists and Politicians to save California, your already paying for our Green Energy, so keep being stupid, plenty of people here to take your hard earned money.

Aquafornia

First you have no reply to the $300 billion that was spent on Green Energy here in California, much of the money comes from other states and the federal government, too bad we did not fix the levees, huh.

and now you post a link? like that is a winning hand in a poker game.

Most people understand southern california gets water from the extremely wet north.

I wonder though, does you great link point out that green energy will never be able to pump 1% of that water? I bet you will not even believe that, right?

Now go read Cadillac Desert so you can see all the waste by the BLM and Army Corp of Engineers.

105" of rain in one city in one year in California, that is a lot of rain.

After the crash when the Gov't was in full bail out and stimulus mode, I quoted the levies as a issue that should have been addressed if any stimulus was passed. I stated quite clear back then that any and ALL of the 800 or so billion should be spent COMPLETELY on the infrastructure on a case by case basis to fix problems that needed attention then and now. If we were to go into DEBT DEEPER which makes me want to barf, then do it on NECESSARY ISSUES.

But low and behold the Political whores had to pay back their donors, and very little was spent on the infrastructure and what was primarily spent was on BS items that were not critical to our Nation's interest.

I posted a whole set of infrastructure that should have been on the list, including dams that need replacing, like one that if it fails would put Nashville under water.

So we spent hundreds of Billions on BS. Which is why I think our politicians are complete BS now.

In popular culture

No one is going to do anything about the levee's until they fail. California simply doesn't have the money to deal with it. The Feds don't either. I personally think they will do Ok for the next 15 years or so with temporary patches and the work the farmers do to them.
But, when the next atmospheric river comes along, the Central Valley will once again be a very large lake.

It all depends on earthquakes. If a large one occurs in the bay area and the levees fail, 20 million people are without water for 2-3 years. That could happen tomorrow.

Aquafornia

You and millions others? Right,

There is not even that many people in the flood plain of the delta.

But hell, why do you not give some more money to the Scientists and Politicians to save California, your already paying for our Green Energy, so keep being stupid, plenty of people here to take your hard earned money.

As far as I'm concerned, California is a disaster area unfit for human habitation. Not just because of the risk of earthquake damage to the delta levees an southern California's water supply. It's a lot of things. The yearly unbalanced precipitation causes fires all summer, which remove grasses from hillsides, which then cause mudslides during the rainy winters, in addition to floods and washed out roads.

I think the mass evacuation that the delta levee situation threatens, should be happening NOW, and just about the whole state should be a ghost town.

Aquafornia

First you have no reply to the $300 billion that was spent on Green Energy here in California, much of the money comes from other states and the federal government, too bad we did not fix the levees, huh.

and now you post a link? like that is a winning hand in a poker game.

Most people understand southern california gets water from the extremely wet north.

I wonder though, does you great link point out that green energy will never be able to pump 1% of that water? I bet you will not even believe that, right?

Now go read Cadillac Desert so you can see all the waste by the BLM and Army Corp of Engineers.

105" of rain in one city in one year in California, that is a lot of rain.

No need to "reply" to what was already addressed in the OP ("Authorities estimate it will take $25-40 Million per square mile to quake-proof the delta levees. Money that California does not have.")

As for the rest of what you said, how does it relate to the topic of the thread ? (delta levees & water supply)

Forum List

Back