Information Fatigue

Discussion in 'Education' started by MaggieMae, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    How often do you feel overwhelmed by the amount of "information" now available on the information highway that you feel is needed to make accurate and hopefully wise decisions, from everyday life occasions to politics? Me? Very often. This article theorizes that our brains aren't yet capable of absorbing EVERYTHING and often results in bad decisions.

I CAN'T THINK!
    Read more at link.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I sometimes get fed up of wading through bullshit to find actual information. Does that count?

3. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    MM, I have often thought lately of this too. I have so much information in my head but can't organize it fast enough because of new and incoming information. Numbers, stats, polls, Middle East and on and on it goes.

4. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    This last election had an overload of information, no one would be able to comprehend. What I did was look at the parties on the list and their views. When it came to electing judges I voted Libertarian, when it came to electing college regents I went with the anti tax party. When it came to our governor I voted Democrat, and Republican for our senators and representatives. Each party has its place, and its a matter of plugging them into the right places.

For news there really is no network on tv worth watching as they have all become opinion stations, conservative VS liberal. News papers seem to be the way to go but you have to be sure to read them from both sides i.e. liberal and conservative both because the truth lies in the middle somewhere. At least the papers will give you the events of the day, which tv doesn't. Radio talk shows are the same as their tv counterparts extreme on both sides. Internet news such as the AP wire may be good but getting the time to sit and read is almost impossible.

I find boards like this one is the best for information and developing opinions. You have an idea, so you throw it out there and get other peoples reactions and comments. Then you can modify your opinion accordingly. People will post what they feel is imoprtant and you have a wide variety of news and events to keep up on. It seems to work for now, for even the exteme views may have something valuable worth taking.

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    No, because if you're like me, you stop looking when several pieces of information make sense and there's no need to delve deeper. Only when something changes that is further research necessary. In the meantime, your brain has time to contemplate what it's already absorbed. It's the nonstop pursuit of alternatives that literally boggle the mind, which is what the article is getting at.

How are you at multi-tasking?

6. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I agree with everything you said. The only news source I immediately grab and read through entirely is THE WEEK, which gives a brief perspective on current events in this country and even briefer blurbs of global interest. It selects both right- and left-wing editorials and commentary on particular issues of importance, and provides the source so that if you want to pursue it further, you can find it on the Internet. I just can't keep pace with the plethora of stuff I should be reading but can't "stuff" any more into the respective file cabinets in my brain.

My mother used to say that if you try to educate yourself just a little bit about everything on a regular basis, you'll at least know which direction to take to pursue it further.

7. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    That is the point right there!!!

There are HUGE variations in the quality and importance of information. And that doesn't even take into account whether it is correct or not. Sometimes a lie about something important is more informative than tons of correct trivia. A lie at least indicates the subject is important enough to lie about.

Another issue is the really important stuff has been completely disappeared. Sometimes there is almost nothing out there but trivial crap on the subject you are researching. You have to look at 50 websites with shallow redundant drivel before you stumble across one with something important.

There is a kind of Gresham's Law of Information that has been amplified by the Internet.

psik

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I know a lot of people don't trust Wikipedia, but it IS a good source to find the sources THEY use for their entries. Saves a lot of time, especially when researching historical data.

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  10. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    But if concepts are not presented in a certain way in Wikipedia or anywhere else will you know to think if it or look for it?

You can find "Planned Obsolescence" in Wikipedia.

You can find "Depreciation" in Wikipedia.

But neither is mentioned in the other. Depreciation is applied to capital goods not consumer goods and planned obsolescence is thought of as referring to consumer goods. But doesn't planned obsolescence cause the value of durable consumer goods to go down. So isn't the NET WORTH of the consumer reduced. So isn't that DEPRECIATION.

So the way information is organized and disorganized and left out affects what people find and how they think. So what ain't there keeps people from thinking along certain lines. Consumers are not supposed to think like capitalists so the information is organized to keep the pawns pawned.

So wading through information trying to make sense of things when you KNOW something is missing but you don't know what it is that is that ain't there EXTREMELY FATIGUING.

psik